Question About Pushing VLC To It's Limits (developers question)

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Aspersimgamer
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Question About Pushing VLC To It's Limits (developers question)

Postby Aspersimgamer » 03 Dec 2022 03:51

Hi I just recently starting running an entire (AUTO) broadcast with over 21,000 songs plus about 7,707 custom DJ audio clips shuffled together and repeated in a full loop under 2 clicks by clicking music and then play, so basically I am running an slightly older version of VLC under these exact circumstances and so far I've experienced zero problems so far so good my question is

How much do you think VLC can actually handle without crashing? I'm technically running it on 16GB of free RAM with an auto RAM free up task every 5 minutes to keep most of the 16GB of my studio computer's RAM free at most times, I am running 2 programs in the foreground, Rocket Broadcaster PRO and VLC at the same time, I however don't know what else is running in the background so I cannot tell you what else might be running on this PC at the same time. I DID however have a virus at one point i gotten from a Winamp mod that caused it to permanently crash at startup

in which is why I use VLC for public stream broadcasting, unlike most players including iTunes, VLC seems to keep up with most of the stream's artist and song metadata and I love using it. along with everything else, however my entire station and all of it's 24/7 world wide relays are relying on VLC so I need your expert advice.

However with my birthday in 3 days and Christmas coming up I'll be adding more music to my library and I don't want to add too much music in order for VLC to start crashing, since now my entire online radio station and all of it's music and broadcasting DJ talk and information is running off of VLC :-|
MY RADIO STATION: with NO commercials (go to link to download then run with VLC on any device)
http://nap.casthost.net:2199/tunein/justinangelradio-stream.pls

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Re: Question About Pushing VLC To It's Limits (developers question)

Postby Lotesdelere » 03 Dec 2022 11:02

I'm technically running it on 16GB of free RAM with an auto RAM free up task every 5 minutes to keep most of the 16GB of my studio computer's RAM free at most times

Don't do that. The Windows NT family (from Windows NT up to Windows 11 as of today) has a very good memory management.
And if you have bought a lot of RAM it's there to be used, not to be empty :wink:

unidan
Developer
Developer

Postby unidan » 04 Dec 2022 17:40

Shuffling is not expensive but random selection is in VLC 3. In VLC 4, it was changed to use the Fisher–Yates algorithm and will be even more stable to handle hundreds of thousands items.

Aspersimgamer
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Aspersimgamer » 05 Dec 2022 20:55

thank you BOTH for the information :)
MY RADIO STATION: with NO commercials (go to link to download then run with VLC on any device)

Aspersimgamer
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Aspersimgamer » 07 Dec 2022 21:35

I just recently downloaded the newest version of VLC for my studio computer and it's v18, so far it sucks, ever since I installed it I've had song repeat themselves, also one time I had all my talking one after another because it's all included in one folder and slower song switch rate, when I was using v.3.03 it worked right away however I did just switch all the files from read only to non read only so maybe that is why?

It's version .3.18 works for several hours on shuffle mode one shuffle mode but soon then runs into problems

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”