VLC Player Closes after starting Blu-ray

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
sevs
New Cone
New Cone

VLC Player Closes after starting Blu-ray

Postby sevs » 12 May 2022 02:43

Hello, I hope people can help me. VLC was working fine up until a few days ago, no idea what changed. When I start a blu-ray disk the program just closes, doesn't seem to crash. I've set up logging and all it got was:

Code: Select all

-- logger module started -- main: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface. main: playlist is empty -- logger module stopped --
I have no idea what I did or what I can do to prevent it from just closing whenever a blu-ray is inserted.

Thank you very much!

sevs
New Cone
New Cone

Re: VLC Player Closes after starting Blu-ray

Postby sevs » 12 May 2022 03:58

So I may have figured at least part of it out, it appears to launch without menus so it's probably something to do with JAVA, reinstalling JAVA didn't work so it looks like the latest version broke something in bluray menus.

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 12 May 2022 13:01

There is a problem with latest Java update:
https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=159727

Looks like it should work with Jre-8u321.

MCKitch
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 3.0.18 Vetinari
Operating System: Windows

Postby MCKitch » 23 May 2022 07:30

Oracle just released a JRE update (jre-8u333). After trying it, it appears that they haven't yet fixed the bug the causes VLC to crash when Blu-ray menus are enabled. So I've gone back to jre-8u321 (the last known version to run OK) for the moment. I tried running with Blu-ray menus disabled in VLC preferences but it's a real pain in the backside.

As an aside, Oracle warns of potential security issues if you run with older versions of the JRE. I have no idea what these 'issues' might be but it's probably worth considering if you choose to run with the jre-8u321.

MCKitch
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby MCKitch » 25 Jul 2022 03:28

Oracle have released another JRE update (jre-8u341). Sadly, after trying it on my WIndows 11 PC, I have to report that it appears that Oracle still has not addressed the issue that causes VLC to crash when attempting to load a BD (at least a .iso BD image file in my own case). So again I've reverted to jre-8u321, AFAIK the last version to work with VLC when loading BDs.

MCKitch
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby MCKitch » 01 Nov 2022 01:26

Oracle released JRE update (jre-8u351) during October. This version also crashes VLC so, AFAIK, jre-8u321 remains the last release that allows BDs to be played.

I had a thought that possibly there's a Java setting that may allow VLC access? Maybe something in security settings? Any Java run-time whizs out there who can check this out?

4667WKD
New Cone
New Cone

Postby 4667WKD » 07 Nov 2022 18:53

Fixed in VLC 3.0.18. Not sure when it will be finally released, but you can get rc2 here: http://download.videolan.org/pub/videol ... .0.18-rc2/

MCKitch
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby MCKitch » 06 Dec 2022 02:04

Yep, was just notified about 3.0.18 this morning when I started up VLC. I allowed the update to proceed, installed the latest JRE update (jre-8u351) and, you're absolutely correct! BD menus now working fine without crashing VLC.

Thanks to the maintenance team for sorting this one out. :D

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”