Creating shortcut for Youtube video stream on desktop

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
amalsk
New Cone
New Cone

Creating shortcut for Youtube video stream on desktop

Postby amalsk » 13 Apr 2022 10:33

Hey all. Firstly I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this question. If not, I really do apologize.
I want to create two shortcuts to my desktop for two different live streams for lo-fi music from youtube. The channel is lo-fi girl and the shortcuts I need to create are those of the 'beats to study' and 'beats to sleep/chill' live streams.
What I've done is I've played the live stream on vlc by pasting the link in it. Then I've saved the playlist to desktop. The only issue is that it will work for like a few hours or a day max. By the next restart of the PC, the link wouldn't open and usually there would be an HTTP 403 error. Steps I've tried to resolve this issue is downloading the youtube.luac file from github but that still doesn't seem to resolve this issue.
So how do I create a shortcut for the livestream to open up in VLC to my desktop in such a way that whenever I click on that shortcut, the livestream opens up in vlc, without any errors?

EDIT: My system is Windows 10.

Thank you so much for reading this and helping me out.
Regards

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Re: Creating shortcut for Youtube video stream on desktop

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 13 Apr 2022 13:49

You can create a shortcut to VLC with the stable URL of the webpage for the stream, not the temporary URL for the raw video.

However sooner or later it will break because YouTube changed layout, or trivially because the network connection is taking time.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 13 Apr 2022 13:53

In the Properties -> Target of the shortcut:
C:\Path\to\VLC\vlc.exe "https://www.youtube.com/xxxxxxxxxxx"

Works for me.

amalsk
New Cone
New Cone

Postby amalsk » 14 Apr 2022 04:29

You can create a shortcut to VLC with the stable URL of the webpage for the stream, not the temporary URL for the raw video.

However sooner or later it will break because YouTube changed layout, or trivially because the network connection is taking time.
Thank you so much for the reply, and I actually didn't know what the temporary URL of the raw video was, what I used to do was copy and paste the url on vlc and then it would stream the video. I would then save it to a playlist and it would generally play for a few hours or until the next time I restart my PC.

amalsk
New Cone
New Cone

Postby amalsk » 14 Apr 2022 04:31

In the Properties -> Target of the shortcut:
C:\Path\to\VLC\vlc.exe "https://www.youtube.com/xxxxxxxxxxx"

Works for me.
Thank you so much dear sir! This worked perfectly for me......*fingers crossed* this method works for me throughout time....
Thanks again for this!
You can close this thread/post.

Regards

elitedata
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby elitedata » 14 Apr 2022 17:30

here is a snippet of the issue with some youtube videos that is causing the problem with no playback.
this snippet here is saving the OPUS audio file to the computer.
as you can see, the original youtube URL, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kOpZKSYLzQ
is then translated to three additional URL's with the third URL actually containing the OPUS audio file (attached picture below).
it appears that VLC has an issue parsing these URL redirections and you must do them manually because some youtube videos are hosted on different servers at different locations on the server.

raphal_beguin
New Cone
New Cone

Postby raphal_beguin » 26 Sep 2022 18:30

Hello i'm interested about this technique, but from where do you create the shortcut? can you provide some captures please?

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 27 Sep 2022 09:41

You simply create a shortcut to VLC.exe from the right click context menu then you edit it as explained in this thread.

raphal_beguin
New Cone
New Cone

Postby raphal_beguin » 27 Sep 2022 13:41

uh okay, it works for some url

Thank you !

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”