VLC Crashes after saving settings

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
ryboto
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

VLC Crashes after saving settings

Postby ryboto » 13 Feb 2006 05:44

After having some nightly builds cause some issues, I installed and uninstalled the latest version, .8.4, and then reinstalled it, making sure to reset the preferences. Upon running the program for the first time, I immediately set "allow only one instance" and "enque other files in playlist". I saved the settings, and restarted the player. I then changed the interface to skins2, and saved, and restarted. I opened the player again, watched a movie(avi), and then closed the program. I wanted to watch something else...so, I double-clicked the movie i wanted to watch, and instead of opening, the VLC window flashed open, only, the skins2 window, and the wxwidgets open, but, only for a split second, and then, they both close. After that happens, I have to reset the default preferences to get it to work again. Any ideas?

Also, I get some odd functionality when i switch skins while having a video open. If i pause the video, switch skins, the program opens the video in a separate window, even if the new skin has an embedded video view, and then, the player typically freezes, while the video continues to play. I have to end the process to get it to stop.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Re: VLC Crashes after saving settings

Postby DJ » 13 Feb 2006 06:18

After having some nightly builds cause some issues, I installed and uninstalled the latest version, .8.4, and then reinstalled it, making sure to reset the preferences. Upon running the program for the first time, I immediately set "allow only one instance" and "enque other files in playlist". I saved the settings, and restarted the player. I then changed the interface to skins2, and saved, and restarted. I opened the player again, watched a movie(avi), and then closed the program. I wanted to watch something else...so, I double-clicked the movie i wanted to watch, and instead of opening, the VLC window flashed open, only, the skins2 window, and the wxwidgets open, but, only for a split second, and then, they both close. After that happens, I have to reset the default preferences to get it to work again. Any ideas?

Also, I get some odd functionality when i switch skins while having a video open. If i pause the video, switch skins, the program opens the video in a separate window, even if the new skin has an embedded video view, and then, the player typically freezes, while the video continues to play. I have to end the process to get it to stop.
A few other people have expressed problems installing several versions of VLC, in particular to this, is moving back to an older version.

Your best bet is to erase the preferences directory. C:\Documents and Settings\Owner (this is you)\Application Data\VLC Erase VLC, Application Data is a hidden directory so you will need to make it visible.

As far as changing skins while playing or pausing movies, this has been an issue with VLC like forever, don't do it! Press Stop first. There probably should be some kind of lock out function. I have found that you can switch between wxWidgets and skins 2 and back again but you can't switch between skins, perhaps it differences in authoring or the variances in the commands that are called, but I do know VLC gets confused. If by chance it doesn't crash, it probably will the next time you open it.

:lol:

ryboto
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby ryboto » 13 Feb 2006 15:03

i reset the preferences, and instead of going through the program to set skins2 as default, I chaned it from the preferences file, changed the #int=, to int=skins2. Now, it works. Works from the executable, or if i double click a video file. I opened about 30 different video files, and it's working like a gem.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”