Audio Stuttering

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
quindraco
New Cone
New Cone

Audio Stuttering

Postby quindraco » 13 Jul 2022 01:54

I keep encountering what I believe is referred to as audio stuttering: the audio briefly cuts out, then returns. If I jump to the same point in a video file this will usually happen at around the same time later, but I can always hear the dropped audio by going back a few seconds and hitting play - that it, it's not about the specific bit of audio, but it does seem related to how long VLC has been playing audio for.

System Info:

Code: Select all

Processor 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400F 2.50 GHz 6 Cores Installed RAM 64.0 GB (63.8 GB usable) System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor Edition Windows 10 Home Version 21H2 OS build 19044.1806 Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4180.0 VLC Version 3.0.17.4 Vetinari GPU - AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT VRAM - 12272 MB - GDDR6 2000 MHz
Codec info for test file (and if it matters, I've had subtitles turned on):

Code: Select all

Video Codec: MPEG-H Part2/HEVC (H.265) (hevc) Video Resolution: 3840x2160 Audio Codec: A/52 B Audio (aka E-AC3) (eac3) Sample rate: 48000 Hz Bits per sample: 32
Things already attempted:
  • Ran LatencyMon; everything came back green/a-ok.
  • Set HW accelerated decoding to "None"; this did nothing.
  • Set Preferences -> Audio -> Output Module to WaveOut; this did nothing. Other settings also do not appear to help.
  • Set Preferences -> Video -> Output to Direct3D11; this did nothing. Other settings also do not appear to help.
  • I forget where I found the setting, but somewhere I found the setting for the audio cache in milliseconds and doubled it from 1000 to 2000. This did nothing.
  • Uninstalled and re-installed VLC.
  • Reset VLC preferences via the button for doing so.
As a control, I've been streaming music on Spotify to sanity check a lack of stuttering in my audio in general. I also did try downloading GOM to play the same file, but the video quality was so atrociously bad I uninstalled it before it had a chance to provide me with a genuine audio test.

This is also brand new; as of 2 weeks ago it wasn't happening at all. I'm not sure what could have changed in the interim.

Hitchhiker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.17.4
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Re: Audio Stuttering

Postby Hitchhiker » 13 Jul 2022 09:41

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”