Issues with VLC keep stealing window focus

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
TastyLagomorph
New Cone
New Cone

Issues with VLC keep stealing window focus

Postby TastyLagomorph » 24 Jun 2022 11:53

VLC keep stealing focus everytime it plays new video, whether it be a next video in playlist or even when doing simple looping mode

It seems there are no option to prevent this either is there any work around for this or are there any option for this that I'm missing?

This is extremely annoying and actually surprising that this is even an issue for player in 2022

Hitchhiker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.17.4
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Re: Issues with VLC keep stealing window focus

Postby Hitchhiker » 24 Jun 2022 13:57

Hit Ctrl + P to open preferences and click "All" at the bottom to open the Advanced menu.

In the left hand Search panel at the top type: "Always on top" and click "Video" when it appears. In the right hand panel remove the checkmark from "Always on top". Save, exit and restart vlc.

TastyLagomorph
New Cone
New Cone

Postby TastyLagomorph » 28 Jun 2022 15:19

Hit Ctrl + P to open preferences and click "All" at the bottom to open the Advanced menu.

In the left hand Search panel at the top type: "Always on top" and click "Video" when it appears. In the right hand panel remove the checkmark from "Always on top". Save, exit and restart vlc.
Thanks for your reply but it seems the problem isn't related to On Top option since it was off already,
and it shouldn't even be related to that anyway because it simply doesn't have to be like that at all and other players don't have this problem regardless whether it's On/Off

to be more specific with example, it's like this:

If I put 3 video in playlist and playing game in the same time, everytime VLC load up new video(ex: when first video end and VLC start to playing second one),
VLC get activated "as if I clicked on it" and take control, mess up BOTH video and game play.
This also happens at the repeatation of simgle video.

What really baffles me is that even tho this bug(?) is deadly serious that making VLC virtually un-usable but looks like no one is having problem with this, but only me?
I just don't get it.

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 29 Jun 2022 13:09

Menu Tools -> Preferences -> Interface
Set the Auto Raising Interface option to Never
Save, exit and restart VLC for the change to take effect.

TastyLagomorph
New Cone
New Cone

Postby TastyLagomorph » 30 Jun 2022 11:50

Menu Tools -> Preferences -> Interface
Set the Auto Raising Interface option to Never
Save, exit and restart VLC for the change to take effect.
OMG That was the one! Thank you!

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”