Cannot watch rest of the video file when the video is more than 24 hours long

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
George62
New Cone
New Cone

Cannot watch rest of the video file when the video is more than 24 hours long

Postby George62 » 03 Jun 2022 23:29

Hi, I have a problem with VLC Player. I downloaded 47 hour long video, but I cannot see the rest of the video on VLC player. It plays the first 23:30 hours or so, after that it looks like the video ended, but in reality there is 24+ hours left. It shows incorrect time too, like 20 hours left. I'm pretty sure I don't have corrupted file, because the number of GB's the video have fits the downloading page and I tried it before with longer videos (same problem) and shorter videos (it shows only incorrect time up to +-27 hours). I tried to open the 47 hour video on multiple video-opening programs (Microsoft Movies & TV, Shotcut), but they are even worse, because they ends when the timer ends, which is 20 hours like I said. I have latest version of VLC and WIndows 10. Any ideas on how to open the remaing hours of the video on VLC? Eventually some program that can open/decode that big files into a clickable 47 hour video and not only a half? I would really appreciate your help, because it sucks when you can't even see the whole video file you've downloaded. Thank you for answers.

Edit: Windows Media Player worked to open this video at almost full length, I did not expect this, but there was still 30 minutes missing. But I think this is thanks to the player because if I scroll to the end the video speeds up and audio plays normally. But yeah, not enough but as I said, the video is there, but no program can play it normally. I would really like if VLC have something extra that can play it, so I don't need to look for another programs.

Hitchhiker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.17.4
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Re: Cannot watch rest of the video file when the video is more than 24 hours long

Postby Hitchhiker » 04 Jun 2022 16:50

Download MediaInfo and then post the details to the video so that we have a clearer idea of what the problem might be.: https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

George62
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Cannot watch rest of the video file when the video is more than 24 hours long

Postby George62 » 04 Jun 2022 17:13

Download MediaInfo and then post the details to the video so that we have a clearer idea of what the problem might be.: https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo
Why even MediaInfo can't get the video length right? It shows 20:42 even in VLC, Shotcut and Movies & TV, but the video is longer than that, it even keeps playing after that mark. Windows Media Player was the closest with 46:50, but clicking somewhere after 26 hour mark is buggy (skips 15 minutes). But I think it doesn't depend on size of video file. I can download 50 hour video that have 10 GB, but same problem appears on video players. Anyway, video details:
Format : MPEG-TS
File size : 106 GiB (enough for 47 hours on 1080p)
Duration : 20 h 42 min (right time 47+ hours, same below)
Overall bit rate mode : Variable
Overall bit rate : 12.3 Mb/s
FileExtension_Invalid : ts m2t m2s m4t m4s tmf ts tp trp ty

Video
ID : 257 (0x101)
Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L4.2
Format settings : CABAC / 4 Ref Frames
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, Reference frames : 4 frames
Format settings, GOP : M=3, N=120
Codec ID : 27
Duration : 20 h 42 min
Bit rate mode : Constant
Nominal bit rate : 5 000 kb/s
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 60.000 FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.040
Color range : Limited
Color primaries : BT.709
Transfer characteristics : BT.709
Matrix coefficients : BT.709

Audio
ID : 256 (0x100)
Format : AAC LC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec Low Complexity
Format version : Version 4
Muxing mode : ADTS
Codec ID : 15-2
Bit rate mode : Variable
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel layout : L R
Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate : 46.875 FPS (1024 SPF)
Compression mode : Lossy
Delay relative to video : -15 ms

Menu
ID : 4096 (0x1000)
Format : AAC / AVC /
List : 256 (0x100) (AAC) / 257 (0x101) (AVC) / 258 (0x102)

Hitchhiker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Hitchhiker » 05 Jun 2022 07:25

I think we need a full vlc log to see what happens when the video stops running. To create one open vlc, but don't start the video.
  1. On the top vlc toolbar click Tools ---> Messages (or hit Ctrl + M)
  2. At the bottom of the Messages window change Verbosity to "2"
  3. Leave the window open and start the video. It will need to run for the full 47 hours otherwise the log will be incomplete.
  4. Give the log a name and click Save As (or place the cursor anywhere in the text, right click -->Select All --> right click --> Copy).
  5. Go to Pastebin.com and in the New Paste field paste the log and give it a name. This will change the URL at the top. Copy / Paste that into your next post. You don't need to create an account at Pastebin.
EDIT: please post which version of Windows you have installed.

Zenitram
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Zenitram » 05 Jun 2022 13:01

MPEG-TS has a DTS timestamp counter limited to 26 h 30 min then it resets to 0, so it is possible to have this display with a MPEG-TS file of 47 h 12 min because MediaInfo does not guess that the counter was reset in the middle of the file if the end timestamp is greater than the begin timestamp (we support the timestamp reset if the end timestamp is lesser than the begin timestamp and compute the right time in that case if it is less than 13 hour long; we need to implement an additional check for catching 26+ hour long files).

Maybe VLC has an issue based on the same source of the issue (the DTS timestamp reset).

Jérôme, developer of MediaInfo

Hitchhiker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Hitchhiker » 06 Jun 2022 09:02

MPEG-TS has a DTS timestamp counter limited to 26 h 30 min then it resets to 0...

Maybe VLC has an issue based on the same source of the issue (the DTS timestamp reset).

I suspected DTS to be the reason why no more video is recorded after the timestamp is exhausted. However, I'm confused by the OP's comment that the video plays back properly in WMP.

George62
New Cone
New Cone

Postby George62 » 08 Jun 2022 12:58

MPEG-TS has a DTS timestamp counter limited to 26 h 30 min then it resets to 0, so it is possible to have this display with a MPEG-TS file of 47 h 12 min because MediaInfo does not guess that the counter was reset in the middle of the file if the end timestamp is greater than the begin timestamp (we support the timestamp reset if the end timestamp is lesser than the begin timestamp and compute the right time in that case if it is less than 13 hour long; we need to implement an additional check for catching 26+ hour long files).

Yeah, I think this might be the problem. Thanks for perfectly clearing this out. Yeah, once I have 30+ long video and video stopped playing at 26:30, so VLC have the same problem I think. This video stops at 23:38, but now I know the problem, so this doesn't matter much for me. And in Windows Media Player it shows almost the real length, but it strangely skips through the video after 26:30 hour mark, so I can't play it properly. I can only if I set the video to 26:29 and let the video play, but still, it is glitchy at the 46:50 hour mark. But on my external disk, it doesn't even load on WMP, so this is out of question. First and last time I tried to open it and it opened video length was again 20:42. Strange because on normal disk it shows 46:50.

Any tips on how to play this video properly before some check in VLC get implemented? For me there I have one kinda bad solution, which may not work, which is cut the first 24 hours of this video in cutting program out and save it as a new file. I think it may display the rest of the video. But yeah, I would like a better solution than that.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”