HELP! Audio output is starving, playing silence

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Re: HELP! Audio output is starving, playing silence

Postby VLC_help » 11 Aug 2009 17:08

I can provide patched build if you want to test it out.

Carnacky
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Carnacky » 11 Aug 2009 21:13

Yes sure!
Thanks a lot

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 12 Aug 2009 19:27

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=7DGI8VMO
test build based on few weeks old VLC 1.1.0 git.

Carnacky
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Carnacky » 12 Aug 2009 20:28

After a little test there is the same problem plus a blue color where it should be red :?:

This is the messages i get:

Code: Select all

main debug: control type=1 main warning: PTS is out of range (-10000), dropping buffer main warning: output PTS is out of range (394890001), clearing out main warning: PTS is out of range (-33000), dropping buffer main warning: output date isn't PTS date, requesting resampling (-54000) main warning: buffer is 54000 in advance, triggering downsampling main warning: resampling stopped after 10833000 usec (drift: -479) main debug: incoming request - stopping current input main debug: dying input main debug: control type=0
After about 15 seconds audio starts to pop. I'll test it these days more accurately!
BTW thanks for the interest and for the work

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 13 Aug 2009 18:18

Colorspace conversion issue is known one.

Carnacky
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Carnacky » 14 Aug 2009 04:17

Well, it's definitely something to do with power saving. I've disabled the cool'n'quite for my AMD and everything is ok with audio output on win waveOut and video output on default. with 1.0.1 and 1.1.0. i'll do more tests and i'll update.

P.S. infact, on firefox and on youtube movies, with power saving enabled, i have quite a same problem, but with the video that is freezing sometimes. disabling power saving, everything's fine

cooper2k9
New Cone
New Cone

Postby cooper2k9 » 22 Aug 2009 20:05

Confirmed.
Interrupts by silence disappears if OpenGL output is set.

At least a workaround...tnx.

Could not test v1.1.0-git (13.09.) yet.

cooper2k9.

I have the exact same problem
HOWEVER
...switching to OpenGL output fixes things.

cooper2k9
New Cone
New Cone

Postby cooper2k9 » 04 Oct 2009 01:02

Hi,
since VLC v1.0.2 does not fix the starving/stopping/skipping audio on video-files (standard output), I tried v1.0.1-git (link on page #2). This solves the problem for me with standard output. BTW, the colors are OK with 'Windows GDI' output (just a strange interlace problem with some zooms).
Don't know if there is a link to powersaving: on my AMD the CPU (3 cores) is jumping wildly from 800 to 2500MHz, without visible impact on VLC (nor other players).

If a new user of VLC encounters the audio problem, he/she would dump and uninstall VLC, I guess...

BR,
cooper2k9.

Confirmed.
Could not test v1.1.0-git (13.09.) yet.

cybmole
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby cybmole » 10 Oct 2009 15:37

i am getting audio starving problem also, on divx/avi files and have posted in new thread about it today that thread has CACHING in ts tile as I was trying to fix it by gettign more of the file into memory beforehand ( red herring! )

- I am posting here to say that changing to open GL output does NOT fix it for me 9 vlc v1.02. neither does changing audio output options, killing background processes

i have avi files in which the effect is reproducible i.e. playu the file from the start & I can say eactly where the audio starving bug will appear.

my verbose level 2 tracxe ( posted in my other thred - is vers similar to teh ones posted here.

NB
I have the same test video files in original vob format, i.e.copied from DVD before I converted them to divx, and VLC plays the vob files flawlessly.

so I have been thinking it is a combination of how the fils are converted to divx and how vlc plays them ( Zoom player will play same the avi files flawlessly).

I did not have the bug before I bought DIVX converter from divx.com & began converting files with it for playback in VLC.

lkrsF
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 3.0.11
Operating System: Windows 10

Postby lkrsF » 29 May 2022 17:16

VLC is still doing the same damn thing in 2022. Tried 32 and 64 bit, and everything listed in these forums.

main warning: playback too late (63615): up-sampling
main warning: timing screwed (drift: 127776 us): stopping resampling
main warning: playback too late (126451): up-sampling
main warning: playback way too late (190401): flushing buffers
mmdevice debug: state changed: 0
wasapi debug: reset
main debug: inserting 52752 zeroes
mmdevice debug: state changed: 1
main warning: playback too late (60094): up-sampling
main warning: timing screwed (drift: 120302 us): stopping resampling
main warning: playback too late (119143): up-sampling
main warning: playback way too late (186615): flushing buffers
main warning: timing screwed (drift: 142737 us): stopping

WTF!

Hitchhiker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.17.4
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Postby Hitchhiker » 30 May 2022 09:31

Reset preferences and then check again: https://wiki.videolan.org/VSG:ResetPrefs

A reset in this way restores vlc default values. If you've created any custom settings make a backup of "vlc-qt-interface.ini" and "vlcrc" files located in %APPDATA%\vlc and use them to restore your own settings again afterwards.

lkrsF
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby lkrsF » 30 May 2022 16:11

Thanks Hitchhiker, I have done that and literally spent hours changing every related setting, when that didn't work I reset preferences, when that didn't work I tried 32 bit version, it acted exactly the same. I have spent several hours long sessions over several years fiddling with VLC to get it to work in this computer. It does work on other computers. MPC - BE works perfectly but VLC has some advantages, I would rather run that. Every video format glitches audio on this machine on VLC whether audio output is set for speakers, HDMI, or SPDIF. I wish I could diagnose this.

Hitchhiker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Hitchhiker » 30 May 2022 16:56

Can you post a full log please. Upload it to Pastebin.com and then post the URL to it in your next post. No need to create an account over there.

lkrsF
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby lkrsF » 30 May 2022 21:13

Pastebin wont allow it. States: Pastebin’s SMART filters have detected potentially offensive or questionable content in your paste.
The content you are trying to publish has been deemed potentially offensive or questionable by our filters, because of this you’re receiving this warning.
This paste can only be published with the visibility set to "Private".

So here it is on Google Drive: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MhpBz7 ... sp=sharing

Here is a link to a cellphone recording of the playback: https://photos.app.goo.gl/2h8HpSGZoEGb4s3r5

Hitchhiker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Hitchhiker » 31 May 2022 13:00

The log identifies the video to be this one:

Chaos - The real problem with quantum mechanics-VP9-1080p-LJzKLTavk-w.mp4

A Google search of "LJzKLTavk-w" identifies it to be a youtube video which has become corrupted presumably during the recording of it. Streaming it on vlc doesn't present any issues. Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJzKLTavk-w

To stream any youtube video on vlc hit Ctrl + N and paste the link in there and click Play.

If you want to download it to your own machine use yt-dlp which is a command line tool. To install:
  1. Place yt-dlp in the C:\Users\{Username} directory (where {Username} is whatever you use to login to Windows with).
  2. Follow instructions in this link to install FFmpeg.
  3. To download a video open a Windows command prompt and copy/paste the following command and hit Enter.

yt-dlp -f "best[height>=720]" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJzKLTavk-w -o %(id)s.%(ext)s
Download time depends on the length of the video, but in this particular case it was just 10 seconds.

You need FFmpeg to be installed because yt-dlp can't merge the audio and video streams without it. All youtube videos are comprised of separate audio and video streams.

Keep a copy of the download string so that when you want to download another video all you need to do is to change the identifier which in this particular case is LJzKLTavk-w with whatever it is in the URL field on youtube.

EDIT: corrected a couple of grammatical errors.

lkrsF
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby lkrsF » 31 May 2022 23:30

You have misidentified the problem. If only it were that easy. You must not have looked at the log. The video link I sent you was indeed recorded with yt-dlp, with ffmpeg properly installed. I have been using yt-dlp for months. The link was to that yt-dlp recording played back on VLC. The file is not corrupt, it plays perfectly on MPC-BE. Please have another look, you will see errors in the VLC log. VLC is the problem here, I would like to fix it. Please look at the log, as you requested it. The info you provided in this post, I am completely knowledgeable of it.

Hitchhiker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Hitchhiker » 01 Jun 2022 06:44

I downloaded the same video myself yesterday and couldn't reproduce the problem. It plays back perfectly on my system which is Windows 8.1 using vlc 3.0.17.4

What's your hardware and OS?

EDIT: I've just noticed your profile which shows you have Windows 10 installed, but with vlc 3.0.11. Try updating to the latest version of vlc: https://www.videolan.org/

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 01 Jun 2022 13:36

From your log:

file='D:\ayc\Output\Chaos - The real problem with quantum mechanics-VP9-1080p-LJzKLTavk-w.mp4' avcodec debug: codec (vp9) started main debug: using audio decoder module "opus" opus debug: Opus audio with 2 channels

VP9 video and Opus audio in MP4 container is not standard, it should be WEBM by default or MKV.
Yt-dlp doesn't create such MP4 files when I use it for downloading this video, but a WEBM file as expected.

So how did you make this file ?

And please upload a short sample of your original problematic file to Zippyshare.com or to WeTransfer.com and then post the link to the file here.
https://www.zippyshare.com
https://wetransfer.com

If needed cut it with DGsplit and read here about how to do it:
https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.ph ... 35#p193335
200 MB max should be enough.

lkrsF
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby lkrsF » 01 Jun 2022 23:27

3.0.17. Vetinari is my version.
Anyway, The problem is fixed. Turns out memory remapping was disabled in the bios, it was affecting VLC, but no other players. I think VLC should have run normally anyway, since other players did. I'm actually glad for the malfunction though, my machine is now running smoother with that setting changed. After some smooth playback, the problem returned. I looked in task manager and found EaseusTodo (or similar) backup process running, from 2016. It is system go back free. I uninstalled that and have smooth VLC. I will let you know if anything else rears its head. Thanks for your help.
OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version 10.0.19043 Build 19043
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name *
System Manufacturer To Be Filled By O.E.M.
System Model To Be Filled By O.E.M.
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU To Be Filled By O.E.M.
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2402 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. P3.10, 12/1/2009
SMBIOS Version 2.5
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode Legacy
BaseBoard Manufacturer ASRock
BaseBoard Product P43Twins1600
BaseBoard Version
Platform Role Desktop
Secure Boot State Unsupported
PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.19041.1566"
User Name *
Time Zone Central Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 7.00 GB
Available Physical Memory 2.37 GB
Total Virtual Memory 26.5 GB
Available Virtual Memory 18.5 GB
Page File Space 19.5 GB
Page File D:\pagefile.sys
Kernel DMA Protection Off
Virtualization-based security Not enabled
Device Encryption Support Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: TPM is not usable, PCR7 binding is not supported, Hardware Security Test Interface failed and device is not Modern Standby, Un-allowed DMA capable bus/device(s) detected, Disabled by policy, TPM is not usable
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions No
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware Yes
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”