VideoLAN restarts computer???

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
mnspink

Postby mnspink » 09 Feb 2006 06:55

Yes I used the latest versions.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Re: ASUS TV Tuner

Postby DJ » 09 Feb 2006 07:15

I get a blue screen, physical memory dump, whenever I try to open my TV card. Has Phillips/Conextent chip.

Card works fine in VDub via DirectShow.

Used all default settings and also set them. Set audio and left it off. Nothing prevents computer crash.

May attemp Graph, but my problem sounds similar but a little diff't than others. Don't care about streaming (still crashes when set btw).

Always willing to hear suggestions.
Before you start Graph, need to catch up by dling one of the later Nightly Builds and try again, as there has been some work here.

http://nightlies.videolan.org/

Christos

Reboot when trying to get webcam stream

Postby Christos » 09 Feb 2006 08:09

Hello,
Just to confirm that I have the same trouble (immediate reboot) when trying to get my webcam stream displayed in VLC.
VLC 0.8.4a
Webcam : brand new Philips SPC900NC.
W2k SP4 with all updates drivers and so on.
My webcam works perfectly with the supplied programs, ...
I understand that this is a freeware and that maybe the dev. do not have 'time/possibilities/credits' to debug it. Due to the numerous complaints I guess it's to be considered as a VLC bug.
Rg.

Christos

Postby Christos » 09 Feb 2006 08:23

Sorry (error message in french)
Observateur d'événements - Journal sytème :
L'ordinateur a redémarré à partir d'une vérification d'erreur. La vérification d'erreur était : 0x000000d1 (0xf8a19000, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0xbd667f0b). Microsoft Windows 2000 [v15.2195] Un vidage a été enregistré dans : C:\WINNT\Minidump\Mini020806-01.dmp.

=> I have a 64k .dmp file. I don't know if it can hep someone.
Rg,

isidro
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby isidro » 09 Feb 2006 19:00

DJ

This is a test in the version 0.8.5-svn-20060209-0000, as I said I would do.

I have taken care to pick a web cam that works very nice with VLC 0.8.2 so that you can compare both version behaviors:

1-))
Test results with version: 0.8.5-svn-20060209-0000
Web Cam: Logitech Quick Cam for Notebooks

VLC parameters:

dshow:// :dshow-vdev="Logitech QuickCam for Notebooks Pro" :dshow-adev="Logitech Mic (Notebooks Pro)" :dshow-size=""

:sout=#transcode{vcodec=mp4v,vb=128,scale=1,acodec=mp4a,ab=64,channels=2}:duplicate{dst=std{access=udp,mux=ts,dst=localhost:1234}}

Debug logging interface output:

[00000351] logger interface: VLC media player - version 0.8.5-svn-20060209-0000
Janus - (c) 1996-2006 the VideoLAN team
[00000351] logger interface:
Warning: if you can't access the GUI anymore, open a dos command box, go to the
directory where you installed VLC and run "vlc -I wxwin"

[00000351] logger interface: Using logger...
[00000366] ffmpeg encoder error: cannot open encoder
[00000355] stream_out_transcode private error: cannot find encoder

Conclusion: do not work
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2))
Test results with version: 0.8.2
Web Cam: Logitech Quick Cam for Notebooks
(Precisely the same test just changing VLC’s version)

VLC Parameters:
dshow:// :dshow-vdev="Logitech QuickCam for Notebooks Pro" :dshow-adev="Logitech Mic (Notebooks Pro)" :dshow-size="" :no-dshow-config :no-dshow-tuner

:sout=#transcode{vcodec=mp4v,vb=128,scale=1,acodec=mp4a,ab=64,channels=2}:duplicate{dst=std{access=udp,mux=ts,url=localhost:1234}}

Debug logging interface output:

[00000276] logger interface: VLC media player - version 0.8.2 Janus - (c) 1996-2
005 VideoLAN
[00000276] logger interface:
Warning: if you can't access the GUI anymore, open a dos command box, go to the
directory where you installed VLC and run "vlc -I wxwin"

[00000276] logger interface: Using the logger interface module...

Conclusion: No problems at all, perfect image and sound!!!
Isidro Lopes
CPqD
Brazil.

isidro
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby isidro » 10 Feb 2006 11:53

DJ,

This is the test with version 20060210.

The result is the same as reported by my previous post.

Regards,

Isidro.
Isidro Lopes
CPqD
Brazil.

mnspink

Postby mnspink » 10 Feb 2006 20:07

Better, but not there yet.

I used the latest nightly build and the computer doesn't crash.

However, I can't really connect to the ASUS TV Card. If I refresh the device list and pick the card, I get nothing. When I leave everything on default, I "connect" to the card, but the video freezes on the first frame. Interestingly, when I click on fast forward, I get a new frame (image) on the screen, but no motion.

Audio through the audio card comes in, I don't get it through the TV Card.

Let me know what I can do. I don't know if graphedit would help, since the card's output is going to VLC.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 10 Feb 2006 21:10

Better, but not there yet.

I used the latest nightly build and the computer doesn't crash.

However, I can't really connect to the ASUS TV Card. If I refresh the device list and pick the card, I get nothing. When I leave everything on default, I "connect" to the card, but the video freezes on the first frame. Interestingly, when I click on fast forward, I get a new frame (image) on the screen, but no motion.

Audio through the audio card comes in, I don't get it through the TV Card.

Let me know what I can do. I don't know if graphedit would help, since the card's output is going to VLC.
You may be closer than you think with the default settings.

This was suggested on page one of this post:

1) Update VLC to latest version (0.8.4 final or a development version from http://nightlies.videolan.org)
2) Update DirectX to latest version (Windows Update)
3) Update drivers for video and audio to latest versions.
4) Disable hardware acceleration. Rightclick on Desktop, Properties, Settings, Advanced, Troubleshoot. Move the slider to None. Reboot
5) Use one capture device so only video for starters (no adev and commandline --no-audio) to rule out an audio driver problem (and vice versa)
6) Force a dshow-size to something your card supports dshow-size="320x240", if that fails specify resolution with spaces "320 x 240".

If I were you I would be particularly interested in 4 through 6.

All Digital Video is is follow audio for sync. If the audio is hanging sometimes it will also make the video freeze.

As far as Graph Edit goes it shows all the pins and connections through the filter array. But to date nobody seems to think it is important except the author. Therefore there can be no real movement here. I have tried desperately to get people to recognize this, but I'm being ignored too.

I guess in general most people would rather complain than help get it to work.
:lol:

mnspink

Postby mnspink » 11 Feb 2006 05:55

I understand the frustration.

DirectX is current.

When I turn down Graphics Accelleration, as I get closer to Off, the slower VLC responds. When off, VLC just doesn't respond (or atleast I won't wait 4 minutes for it to start). When a notch higher, the video is better but still jumpy, but at least VLC loads in 20 seconds (still slow). So there is no balance which works.

2.4Ghz, decent MSI board, 512 ram, vid card is Radeon 9550 (128 i think).

I'll keep fiddling.

To those of you with USB devices and webcams, just use GraphEdit, its not that hard and it would help solve ur probs. VLC is the gotta have app for so many other reasons, lets make it better for all.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 11 Feb 2006 09:19

I understand the frustration.

DirectX is current.

When I turn down Graphics Acceleration, as I get closer to Off, the slower VLC responds. When off, VLC just doesn't respond (or atleast I won't wait 4 minutes for it to start). When a notch higher, the video is better but still jumpy, but at least VLC loads in 20 seconds (still slow). So there is no balance which works.

2.4Ghz, decent MSI board, 512 ram, vid card is Radeon 9550 (128 i think).

I'll keep fiddling.

To those of you with USB devices and webcams, just use GraphEdit, its not that hard and it would help solve ur probs. VLC is the gotta have app for so many other reasons, lets make it better for all.
What happens if you shutdown the overlay function in VLC and put the system Graphics acceleration back to normal?? That's Preferences, Video and uncheck the box marked "Overlay Video Output" then save and close the player.

This may be a decent trade off and may give a Key to the problem.

mnspink

Postby mnspink » 11 Feb 2006 21:17

Yeah, disabling video overlay doesn't help.

It is necesary for me to disable it in VDub at higher resolutions, but doesn't seem to matter with VLC.

Thanks for the thoughts and help.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 11 Feb 2006 21:44

Yeah, disabling video overlay doesn't help.

It is necesary for me to disable it in VDub at higher resolutions, but doesn't seem to matter with VLC.

Thanks for the thoughts and help.
I'm not done yet! :P

Try shutting down DirectX for the Video. This is Preferences, Video, Output modules and from the pull down select " Windows GDI video output" then save and close the player.

mnspink

Postby mnspink » 11 Feb 2006 22:22

Still no luck. Tried all the output modules. Still get first frame only with no motion.

You think VLC is dropping the connecetion with the TV Card, or do you think VLC is having trouble displaying the TV stream? I think because I can get a new frame by hitting the >> button, its a display problem.

All video files play fine.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 11 Feb 2006 22:57

Still no luck. Tried all the output modules. Still get first frame only with no motion.

You think VLC is dropping the connecetion with the TV Card, or do you think VLC is having trouble displaying the TV stream? I think because I can get a new frame by hitting the >> button, its a display problem.

All video files play fine.
I think the audio stream or codec is causing the video not to stream (hang) but I can't think of a good way to prove it. Your being able to move it a frame or so is the indication.

mnspink

Postby mnspink » 12 Feb 2006 05:12

I put the audio directly into my sound card, without being routed through the TV Card (TV Card just includes the common aud out =>sound card in).

Shouldn't make a difference, but I'm at a loss for answers.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 12 Feb 2006 05:58

I put the audio directly into my sound card, without being routed through the TV Card (TV Card just includes the common aud out =>sound card in).

Shouldn't make a difference, but I'm at a loss for answers.
Ya! Me too! As I have said in these pages I'm a Moderator here and often I can prove or disprove an operation and offer suggestions. Sometimes only in theory and get things up and running. There have been two instances this week where users were having problems and I got it to work with out proving it, near the end of both of these I discovered that the source was a TV tuner card. So some are getting it to work. One was a streaming problem. The other was using VLC like a PVR.

I have been looking for a TV Tuner for my laptop. This world is so much bu** it's difficult to cut to the reality. Yesterday I saw this on Cnet
http://reviews.cnet.com/Diamond_XtremeT ... ml?tag=nav After reading the review I began to wonder if it was worth the effort. I have owned TV tuner cards before and never experienced this stuff. Maybe that was the good old days!

mnspink

Postby mnspink » 12 Feb 2006 06:05

tv-cards.com has a good review and forum for TV Cards. I don't know much about USB capture devices, but 2.0 should provide sufficient bandwidth.

So, when I turn the audio device to none with the nightly build, i get moving video. Select default or my audio card, bam, no video (freeze on first frame).

Sorta worked when I just unmuted the line in on my audio card thru sound properties, but video lags a little that way.

So VLC can't seem to match up the audio to the video without freezing the video. The delay isn't that bad; seems wierd VLC can't just open up the throughput from the audio card.

Postby Guest » 12 Feb 2006 07:22

tv-cards.com has a good review and forum for TV Cards. I don't know much about USB capture devices, but 2.0 should provide sufficient bandwidth.

So, when I turn the audio device to none with the nightly build, i get moving video. Select default or my audio card, bam, no video (freeze on first frame).

Sorta worked when I just unmuted the line in on my audio card thru sound properties, but video lags a little that way.

So VLC can't seem to match up the audio to the video without freezing the video. The delay isn't that bad; seems wierd VLC can't just open up the throughput from the audio card.
It seems that many of the vendors are providing both audio and video through the Direct Show drivers, because of the delay involved some users have complained about echo and very high volume with both connected. Sync seems to be an issue on allot of cards these days and is showing up as a problem in PVRs.

Then there is the problem of non standard (Proprietary) audio and video where the Header needs to be changed to get it to play as seen in Replay TV and Tivo.

How about the new TV standards where the Manufactures are making the equipment incompatible so that the content providers believe there is copy protection. :oops: :P I guess it's all about money and not if it works or how well it works.

DJ

mnspink

Postby mnspink » 12 Feb 2006 16:36

The audio and video are just on diff't speeds or something. When I speed up playback, the video starts moving (but at a rate either too fast or too slow), but the audio goes out when video starts.

It's a video/audio speed match problem of some sort.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 12 Feb 2006 20:08

The audio and video are just on diff't speeds or something. When I speed up playback, the video starts moving (but at a rate either too fast or too slow), but the audio goes out when video starts.

It's a video/audio speed match problem of some sort.
I have suggested here:

1. A procedure to test the Direct Show Drivers that came with your device via Graph Edit.

2. Some are getting there devices to work (both the old analog devices and the newer HD devices) Because of this it seems doubtful that the whole problem is VLC.

3. Speed problems generally indicate instabilities revolving around the sound cards clocks. Search ReClock on the web and read the authors explanation.

4. I have also stated that when you open a file or device and the video hangs that the problem is most generally an audio card or driver problem or the sound library thinks it can handle the file type and can't. This would point to registered codec types for the Direct Show Driver that should show up in the test procedure suggested in 1 above.

Hope this is helpful

mnspink

Postby mnspink » 13 Feb 2006 02:56

But the audio plays fine, so it can be handled. Its just a clock/sychronization problem. I can unmute the Line In and get audio directly while video plays in VLC.

Thanks

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 13 Feb 2006 03:14

But the audio plays fine, so it can be handled. Its just a clock/sychronization problem. I can unmute the Line In and get audio directly while video plays in VLC.

Thanks
Please! THINK about what you are saying!

If you are plugging in an external cable from the device to your computer, who is doing the decoding? Isn't it the device?

I the case of using the Direct Show Drivers what is doing the decoding? It it a combination of the Direct Show Drivers and in this case VLC.

From what you have said, When the device does the decoding and you plug an audio cable into the sound card you get audio. Right? But the sound and picture don't seem to sync well.

Sigh! All of this is like shooting in the dark without the use of some real tools like graph edit and we can still be talking about this until we are old and gray and the device has long been put to rest by some newer technology. :P

mnspink

FIXED

Postby mnspink » 13 Feb 2006 15:50

Don't THINK so much about what you are saying.

The fix is: click on Play Faster, then click on Play Slower.

Two clicks, and the audio and video are playing in sync.

I am appreciative of all your help.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Re: FIXED

Postby DJ » 13 Feb 2006 21:45

Don't THINK so much about what you are saying.

The fix is: click on Play Faster, then click on Play Slower.

Two clicks, and the audio and video are playing in sync.

I am appreciative of all your help.
I have run across this one on other websites using other programs but the resolve is not a resolve because the sync doesn't hold over time or the capture function will yield the files unplayable.

Nice try though!

mnspink

Postby mnspink » 13 Feb 2006 22:27

What if I were to intall ReClock.

I did read up on it, and was hesitant to use it because uninstallation was not well documented, and I would want to remove it and restore the default Dshow filters if it didn't work.

Have you used ReClock?

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”