Convert/Save doesn't do its job with youtube videos

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Wolterhon
New Cone
New Cone

Convert/Save doesn't do its job with youtube videos

Postby Wolterhon » 30 Apr 2022 16:46

Sup! After trying to convert a youtube video to mp3 (don't want to use those sites with ad banners all over the place), the first problem I faced was that it failed to play some googleusercontent (or something like that) MRL. So I went to Google to troubleshoot and a video adviced to change youtube.luac to youtube.lua and copy contents from the same youtube.lua file that is in videolan's official github repo for the player. I did exactly that and now when I enter the youtube link and then choose mp3 as the output, it just plays the video as if I pressed Open Network Stream. What can I do to fix it?

UPD: Even after removing this lua file and reinstalling VLC (without uninstalling it, the .luac file came back after I did that), so there's only the original youtube.luac and other previously untouched luac files in the folder this problem stil persists. I don't have 'Failed to play MRL' anymore, but I can't convert a yotuube video to mp3 cause it just starts playing it.

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Re: Convert/Save doesn't do its job with youtube videos

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 30 Apr 2022 19:04

The conversion wizard cannot handle playlists, and youtube.lua presents YouTube videos as single item playlists.

AFAIK, you have to use the VLC CLI (or another dedicated CLI tool such as YT-DLP).
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

Wolterhon
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Wolterhon » 01 May 2022 06:54

The conversion wizard cannot handle playlists, and youtube.lua presents YouTube videos as single item playlists.

AFAIK, you have to use the VLC CLI (or another dedicated CLI tool such as YT-DLP).
That's a letdown. But thank you anyway! You must already know this, but there's also another way, when playing a youtube video from VLC one could just press Ctrl + J and copy the direct link to the file that then can be pasted to the wizard, so I'll be doing it that way from now on.

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 01 May 2022 08:42

You can also take the hyperlong temporary video URL and convert that one, if that's what you mean. But that is time-limited.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

Wolterhon
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Wolterhon » 01 May 2022 09:47

You can also take the hyperlong temporary video URL and convert that one, if that's what you mean. But that is time-limited.
Yes, I probably meant it, the big URL that leads to a raw video file.

elitedata
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby elitedata » 01 May 2022 09:59

the audio file from a youtube video is OPUS codec, just download that file using downloadhelper plugin for firefox.
no need to convert to MP3, modern devices will play OPUS just fine.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”