Hotkey settings, mouse click=pause, can't change using s as hotkey

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
hpcampr2
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Hotkey settings, mouse click=pause, can't change using s as hotkey

Postby hpcampr2 » 05 Nov 2021 19:18

Two hotkey questions. I think I used to have this working but can't do it now. I'd like the video to pause and unpause when I left click my mouse when it's in the video area. I can't figure out how to do this. I thought I used to have it working before I mistakenly reset my preferences. Also I tried to change the hotkey for screenshot to s but every time I press s it shuts the video down? Thanks.

Hitchhiker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.17.4
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Re: Hotkey settings, mouse click=pause, can't change using s as hotkey

Postby Hitchhiker » 05 Nov 2021 19:49

It's much simpler just to toggle Pause by hitting the Spacebar. There's no mouse function which will achieve the same thing AFAIA.

Hitting "S" on it's own will stop a video and exit vlc so that's working as intended. Hit Shift + S to take a screenshot.

hpcampr2
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby hpcampr2 » 05 Nov 2021 20:09

Normally I use smplayer but just use VLC for certain things it can't do like crop. I'm pretty sure I had s as the hotkey for screenshot in vlc before. That's the same shortcut I use in smplayer (which I don't think was the default there either) so it's easier to remember. Yes, I'm aware the spacebar pauses it but I prefer to use the mouse left click if possible. I also use this nice program x-mouse button control so it may have been a combination with that. Thanks for further tips.

Hitchhiker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Hitchhiker » 05 Nov 2021 21:23

Normally I use smplayer but just use VLC for certain things it can't do like crop. I'm pretty sure I had s as the hotkey for screenshot in vlc before. That's the same shortcut I use in smplayer (which I don't think was the default there either) so it's easier to remember. Yes, I'm aware the spacebar pauses it but I prefer to use the mouse left click if possible. I also use this nice program x-mouse button control so it may have been a combination with that. Thanks for further tips.

Hit Ctrl + P to open prefs, click the Hotkeys button and then type the letter 'S' in the search field. In the list of results 's' on its own stops a video.

There's a plugin you can use to achieve your goal of using the mouse to pause/play: https://github.com/nurupo/vlc-pause-cli ... in#windows

Hitchhiker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Hitchhiker » 10 Nov 2021 15:56

Did it work? If not there's an alternative you can try which is to use a third party tool to bind a specific key to a mouse button. See this thread for details: https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.ph ... 26#p323126

The third party tool suggested by mederi is this one: http://www.highrez.co.uk/downloads/XMou ... ontrol.htm

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”