VideoLAN restarts computer???

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Jason_X_
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: VideoLAN restarts computer??? restart=BSOD

Postby Jason_X_ » 27 Jan 2006 01:37

You sound really sure of your self! A Direct Show driver provides a way into the card unlike a Direct show filter or codec that allows one to play media files. Just because Direct Show is working does not mean the driver provided by the vendor is working. That's why I provided a means to test it. If you havn't tested it there is no other way to know for sure. Just because vendor's programs work still does not mean that the Direct Show driver works.

You are dealing with win 2k, one of the most dificult operating systems to work with.

On top of all this there are people here that are still using VLC 0.8.2 and it has been suggested to upgrade to one of the more recent nightly builds as this module has been updated.

All the best of luck! :lol:
Using graphedit is such a pain though... I will get around to doing that this weekend, so I can make you happy. :lol:

The latest SVN build *DOESN'T* crash (yeah!) however, now I get get a a echo echo type type sound sound effect effect...

We are getting there... :)

Quovodis
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby Quovodis » 27 Jan 2006 15:11

the sound echo comes from the fact that the TV sound input (probably line-in) is sent directly to the sound card ouput; you will need to manually mute the input line from Windows Volume control panel.

this was probably done by your TV app, which doesn't capture the sound as VLC does, but connect your TV line input sound straight into your sound card output.

VLC captures the TV input sound, processes it and either stream it (if asked to do so) or send it through the Wave output of your sound card; since the processing takes a bit of time, VLC's sound output will lag a bit behind the TV sound input and cause the echo effect.

Jason_X_
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Jason_X_ » 28 Jan 2006 02:25

Thanks for the detailed explanation Quovodis.

This morning I found out if I muted the line-in the echo would stop.

Peregian
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Peregian » 28 Jan 2006 05:33

I have the same problem with VLC making my pc reboot. I have turned off the auto reboot and now I get the same BSOD as you others. I can play files fine its only when I try to use a video capture device. I have a WinFast TV2000 XP deluxe tv card and a webcam, it crashes with either selected. Audio is fine. I have a P4 2.6 xp pro fresh install 3 weeks ago with all latest drivers for tv card and all latest updates for xp. Tv card works fine with its own software and other software that uses the capture device so sounds like bug in VLC to me.

Peregian
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Peregian » 28 Jan 2006 06:08

Ok I found an update from 8.4 to 8.5 and that allows my webcam to work but my tv card makes VLC close as soon as its about to play.

Jason_X_
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Jason_X_ » 28 Jan 2006 23:26

I have the same problem with VLC making my pc reboot. I have turned off the auto reboot and now I get the same BSOD as you others. I can play files fine its only when I try to use a video capture device. I have a WinFast TV2000 XP deluxe tv card and a webcam, it crashes with either selected. Audio is fine. I have a P4 2.6 xp pro fresh install 3 weeks ago with all latest drivers for tv card and all latest updates for xp. Tv card works fine with its own software and other software that uses the capture device so sounds like bug in VLC to me.
Get the latest from SVN, that one works with that card, as I am using it now. :D

Peregian
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Peregian » 29 Jan 2006 01:32

OK I'm a noob at this so I have no idea what SVN is :?

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 29 Jan 2006 01:38

OK I'm a noob at this so I have no idea what SVN is :?
http://nightlies.videolan.org/

Peregian
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Peregian » 29 Jan 2006 01:42

I have already downloaded the latest build there yesterday and again this morning. Still the same and please explain what SVN has to do with that link?

isidro
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby isidro » 05 Feb 2006 23:39

Hello,

I’m also trying to use this new version (vlc-0.8.5-svn-20060205-0001) in order to avoid my processor to restart. Result:

The processor does not restart but VLC it is not streaming due the following presented in the console interface:

[00000386] ffmpeg encoder error: cannot open encoder
[00000375] stream_out_transcode private error: cannot find encoder

See below a copy and paste form VLC’s parameters.

dshow:// :dshow-vdev="Logitech QuickCam Fusion" :dshow-adev="Logitech Microphone (Fusion)" :dshow-size="320x240"

:sout=#transcode{vcodec=mp4v,vb=256,scale=1,acodec=mp4a,ab=192,channels=2}:duplicate{dst=std{access=udp,mux=ts,url=localhost:1234}}

I use VLC for videoconference and I always run this test when I have to use new Web Cams.

The restart problem began when I started using “Logitech QuickCam Fusion” and “Creative Live” web cams, both restart the processor with previous VLC’s versions.

Precisely the same test runs well with version 8.0.4a and “Logitech QuickCam for Notebook” (an older Logitech’s web cam).

I haven’t ever seen this issue till I have to use new cameras.

I hope this can be solved soon.

Best regards,

Isidro
Isidro Lopes
CPqD
Brazil.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 06 Feb 2006 00:21

Hello,

I’m also trying to use this new version (vlc-0.8.5-svn-20060205-0001) in order to avoid my processor to restart. Result:

The processor does not restart but VLC it is not streaming due the following presented in the console interface:

[00000386] ffmpeg encoder error: cannot open encoder
[00000375] stream_out_transcode private error: cannot find encoder

See below a copy and paste form VLC’s parameters.

dshow:// :dshow-vdev="Logitech QuickCam Fusion" :dshow-adev="Logitech Microphone (Fusion)" :dshow-size="320x240"

:sout=#transcode{vcodec=mp4v,vb=256,scale=1,acodec=mp4a,ab=192,channels=2}:duplicate{dst=std{access=udp,mux=ts,url=localhost:1234}}

I use VLC for videoconference and I always run this test when I have to use new Web Cams.

The restart problem began when I started using “Logitech QuickCam Fusion” and “Creative Live” web cams, both restart the processor with previous VLC’s versions.

Precisely the same test runs well with version 8.0.4a and “Logitech QuickCam for Notebook” (an older Logitech’s web cam).

I haven’t ever seen this issue till I have to use new cameras.

I hope this can be solved soon.

Best regards,

Isidro
This module is still expermental, some of the users have found that steping back in driver revisions has allowed a capture devise to work. But at this juncture it has been impossable for the developers to take into account all of the products in the market place. With VLC being free and all, it is impossable to just buy the card that the user is having problems with and work on it. If possible describe the cards you have gotten to work and the describe what the problems are with the devices you are now trying to use. This is more helpful to the developers at the moment.

:lol:

Peregian
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Peregian » 06 Feb 2006 00:32

I have managed to get my WinFast TV2000 XP deluxe tv card to work with the capture part of the card which is plugged in to my satellite decoder. I have to open the tv program that came with the card and set it to display the cable then exit the program and open vlc. It appears that vlc is unable to properly control the card if its not in the state it expects and it just bails out. I should add that it will run on the normal tv side but the tuner program doesnt tune in to any channels just static.

Peregian
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Peregian » 06 Feb 2006 00:37

One other thing I found was I only been able to stream in div3 and if i dont pick a codec for audio. This makes the stream too big for internet. When I try to use the mp3 encoder then I get an error cannot find codec

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 06 Feb 2006 03:23

I have managed to get my WinFast TV2000 XP deluxe tv card to work with the capture part of the card which is plugged in to my satellite decoder. I have to open the tv program that came with the card and set it to display the cable then exit the program and open vlc. It appears that vlc is unable to properly control the card if its not in the state it expects and it just bails out. I should add that it will run on the normal tv side but the tuner program doesnt tune in to any channels just static.
Wow! That statement is kind of scary! :roll:

It means that the program that came with your card isn't putting things back the way it was and allowing VLC to link into it?? Wohoo!

Has anyone here tried to use Graph Edit??

It will give the missing information, like what is its native format and container thus allowing you to choose something sensible. It will also prove that the Direct Show drivers actually work when the programs that came with the card just may not use these drivers :P Even though you THINK they do? You might be real surprised that the card that you never could get working and you kept waiting for a resolve from the VLC team could have been working all along the way while you were still complaining.

Perhaps this is why movies like dumb and dumber have such great success??

Peregian
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Peregian » 06 Feb 2006 03:34

No it means that VLC is not able to change the tv cards mode to what its expecting so it crashes. The program that came with my card is fine and I have to use it to set the card to use the capture device to stop vlc crashing.[/quote]

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 06 Feb 2006 04:35

No it means that VLC is not able to change the tv cards mode to what its expecting so it crashes. The program that came with my card is fine and I have to use it to set the card to use the capture device to stop vlc crashing.
In life attitude is everything! So just keep :lol:

Peregian
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Peregian » 06 Feb 2006 05:27

I dont know what planet your on mate but you should slow down on the drugs a bit and try to understand what I wrote before opening your mouth. As far as attitude I'm more than smiling, I'm pissing myself laughing at you. :lol:

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 06 Feb 2006 05:36

I dont know what planet your on mate but you should slow down on the drugs a bit and try to understand what I wrote before opening your mouth. As far as attitude I'm more than smiling, I'm pissing myself laughing at you. :lol:
When I closed my last post I was thinking the same thing about you!

I just wasn't rude enough to say it.

Well at least we are in agreement about something.

good day mate!

hossein
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby hossein » 06 Feb 2006 06:45

I had the same problem when i used my usb webcam. but when i used video source connected to osprey100 capture card in the same computer i didnt see the problem. but i couldnt undrestand how it happened?!
I thought problem came from the hardware!!

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 06 Feb 2006 11:42

Look guys there have been 43 or so posts on this topic and it doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

So I am going to try to be a voice of reason here even though some may not like it! :cry:

VLC is a free program! The developers do not have the resources to just go out and buy every capture device in the market place to resolve your problems.

But there is a resolve, providing that you are willing to provide the developers with the information necessary about your card or device.

Microsoft made a set of tools for developers to overcome these kind of problems. It was originally included with the SDKs it is called Graph Edit and is still available on the web. If you use this tool it will give every piece of the missing information in order to get your card or device working in VLC. Plus it will also allow you to prove that the Direct Show drivers provided with the card actually work under Windows. As such once the drivers are known to work that same information will allow the developers to help you get your card or device working within VLC.

So what do you say guys are you man enough to take on Graph Edit and make VLC better???

isidro
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby isidro » 06 Feb 2006 12:52

Hello,

I’m trying to call your attention to the fact that the problem may not be related to specific devices, instead, the problem may be related to a whole set of newer devices, since the restart happens with two USB Web Cams from different manufacturers (Logitech and Creative, perhaps the major Web Cams manufacturers of the world).

As you asked, a more detailed description of my problem would be:

Web cams:
Logitech QuickCam Fusion (microphone embedded)
Creative Live
Web Cam's interface
USB
Operating system
Windows XP

Symptoms:
1- Windows restart when trying to capture from any of web cams, using VLC 0.8.4a
2- VLC (vlc-0.8.5-svn-20060205-0001) does not stream when trying to capture from any of the web cams and stream to the same processor (VLC parameters and console prompted errors in my previous post)

The second symptom I described shows that as the restart problem has gone, a new problem has appeared: “VLC can not find encoder”, and this latter does not seem to be related with devices as far as I can see (I do not develop VLC I just use it). Let me know how to handle it.

I guess that we do not want that VLC stops working with newer USB web cams because we are playing in the same side of the game. Aren’t we?

Best regards,

Isidro.
Isidro Lopes
CPqD
Brazil.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 06 Feb 2006 20:37

Hello,

I’m trying to call your attention to the fact that the problem may not be related to specific devices, instead, the problem may be related to a whole set of newer devices, since the restart happens with two USB Web Cams from different manufacturers (Logitech and Creative, perhaps the major Web Cams manufacturers of the world).

As you asked, a more detailed description of my problem would be:

Web cams:
Logitech QuickCam Fusion (microphone embedded)
Creative Live
Web Cam's interface
USB
Operating system
Windows XP

Symptoms:
1- Windows restart when trying to capture from any of web cams, using VLC 0.8.4a
2- VLC (vlc-0.8.5-svn-20060205-0001) does not stream when trying to capture from any of the web cams and stream to the same processor (VLC parameters and console prompted errors in my previous post)

The second symptom I described shows that as the restart problem has gone, a new problem has appeared: “VLC can not find encoder”, and this latter does not seem to be related with devices as far as I can see (I do not develop VLC I just use it). Let me know how to handle it.

I guess that we do not want that VLC stops working with newer USB web cams because we are playing in the same side of the game. Aren’t we?

Best regards,

Isidro.
What you are suggesting here very well may be true and the entire module may need rebuilding in order to handle a newer crop of devices.

But in my humble opinion the same problems may plague VLC, unless users are to some degree willing to help the developers. There has been some discussion about making VLC a paid program, thus providing money to resolve some of these issues. But under current conditions as long as users don't care and just want results there can be no resolve.

Given current conditions you are welcome to continue monitoring the Nightly builds while the developers grope for an answer and perhaps one day (hopefully in the not so distant future) it will work for you!

isidro
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby isidro » 08 Feb 2006 14:23

DJ,

If you need help testing, I have three different web cams where the problem may be reproduced and I’m trying to test each of the new builds.

Just remember that now I do not have my computer restarted any more but the “cannot find encoder” issue instead.

If you want me to execute a specific test, please let me know.

Regards,

Isidro.
Isidro Lopes
CPqD
Brazil.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 08 Feb 2006 21:09

DJ,

If you need help testing, I have three different web cams where the problem may be reproduced and I’m trying to test each of the new builds.

Just remember that now I do not have my computer restarted any more but the “cannot find encoder” issue instead.

If you want me to execute a specific test, please let me know.

Regards,

Isidro.
Thank You for the kind offer :lol:

I am a Moderator here and have been trying to point out some of the problems within this post (Blog) and provide some reasonable possible solutions. The problem you are having (cannot find encoder) is a little puzzling to me because it does sound like VLC is recognizing the Direct Show driver. Perhaps looking at messages and or posting a copy here might offer some incite.

I have been hoping the the maintainer of this module would jump in and help. But at this point all he has done is suggest ways to test and I have added to this.

mnspink

ASUS TV Tuner

Postby mnspink » 09 Feb 2006 06:53

I get a blue screen, physical memory dump, whenever I try to open my TV card. Has Phillips/Conextent chip.

Card works fine in VDub via DirectShow.

Used all default settings and also set them. Set audio and left it off. Nothing prevents computer crash.

May attemp Graph, but my problem sounds similar but a little diff't than others. Don't care about streaming (still crashes when set btw).

Always willing to hear suggestions.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”