Unable to find chromecast with "Render" Stuck on "Scanning"

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
unidan
Developer
Developer

Re: Unable to find chromecast with "Render" Stuck on "Scanning"

Postby unidan » 17 May 2019 15:20

Because it would be a bug, the user shouldn't have to do that except if it want something specific instead.

riiir
New Cone
New Cone

Postby riiir » 24 May 2019 03:53

I have the exact same problem and I was not able to solve the issue, can anyone help me?
tried installing on a different folder than 'program files' and downloading the bonjour thing...
also prepared the chromecast before booting the computer and didn't worked as well...
:(
Hello, made the same steps as you, and now go to windows definitions, bluetooth and other devices, eliminate the chromecast device and then add it again.
It automaticaly apeared available again in the vlc app.

this worked for me, it seems the laptop lost the conection with the chromecast device and by consequence the VLC couldnt find it.

dragan13
New Cone
New Cone

Postby dragan13 » 10 Jun 2019 19:49

Turn your VPN off
Thank you, it worked!

ukbobboy
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 3.0.7 Vetinari
Operating System: Windows XP

Postby ukbobboy » 14 Jun 2019 14:38

I've just updated my copy of VLC from v3.0.7 to 3.0.7.1 Vetinari, in the hope that the ability to cast to my chromecast device would be restored. Unfortunately, that's one bug that did not get squashed and so I still cannot cast my digital albums via VLC.

Therefore, can anybody give an ETA as to when the casting facility will be restored?

I'm sure the VLC techies have a long list of updates, upgrades, bug fixes and facilities they want to add to VLC but fail to appreciate, from a users point, that nothing feels worse than when you had a facility you enjoyed using then suddenly, because of some online unknown update, lost that facility.

UK Bob

unidan
Developer
Developer

Postby unidan » 14 Jun 2019 15:03

Therefore, can anybody give an ETA as to when the casting facility will be restored?
Hi, casting works, just like on android or other platforms, but it's very dependant on your network configuration and security setup. It's not that developers "fail to appreciate from a users point", but that it needs a reproductible environment to be able to fix an issue. If devs can't have your issue, it can't be fixed. So please give details and it might have a chance to be fixed.

Rustysam
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Rustysam » 26 Jun 2019 04:33

I Got to this link because my symptoms appear to be identical but my cause appears to be completely different
I am casting strictly AUDIO and have multiple google home devices and chromecast worked for all but VLC worked for none.

My Symptoms in Renderer where:
Scanning is grey with 3 dots which I thought may be stuck (it was not as was same when working)
From <local> could switch to any device and that device would make a slight noise but no music followed but <local> audio stopped
and the play time indicator stopped moving.

Also VLC would stop Google from casting if chromecast was using the same device.

Now this is a new system (OS installed multiple times so all settings were uncertain) but had same setup on old system and worked fine.
Started checking settings and found both my Ethernet or WiFi networks were public and set to private.
Ethernet was only connection and WiFi was not connected and used a different SSID connected to WiFi so both SSIDs active
On phone added a chromecast device (an unused chrome cast audio now connected to a receiver next to PC for easier testing).

Now after doing above tested my new audio test device with chormecast using the chrome browser. Then tested with VLC - everything now works to all devices. Also only using Ethernet but the SSID is common to the Goolge setup.

This is just an FYI that cause could be simple as did nothing else than described above,

dade1920
New Cone
New Cone

Postby dade1920 » 21 Jul 2019 10:20

Hi, I use wifi in order to cast video from VLC to Chromecast. Had the same problem of renderer stuck on scanning on VLC.
After several attempts in vain, I accidentally solved the problem this way: when renderer scanning is stuck, that is: chromecast destination is not showing up in vlc even if chromecast is connected and working on Google Chrome, I simply Disable the Renable WI-FI network connection.

After doing so, the chromacast destination instantly re-appears in the renderer menu.
network--> right click--> properties--> change adapters settings--> wifi-connection -->right click--> Disable---> wait-->right click-->Enable

That worked for me 100%
Cheers
Dade

simonirwin
New Cone
New Cone

Postby simonirwin » 23 Jul 2019 14:41

The complete syntax for the multicast network stream to open is udp://@224.0.0.XXX:5000

Please let me know if it helps.

Worked well for me on Windows 10 Pro 1803 and VLC 3.0.4

Thanks!
This worked for me too! Genius!! Thanks

kavlan
New Cone
New Cone

Postby kavlan » 30 Sep 2019 15:40

I had the same issue on Win10 version 1809.

Solved it by creating the following registry setting:
HKLM> SOFTWARE> Policies> Microsoft> Windows NT>DNSClient> DWORD "mDNSEnabled" = 1”

You must reboot after creating it. After reboot, it picked up chromecast quick.

Reference:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/4467682/windows-10-update-kb4467682

peterhatoz
New Cone
New Cone

Postby peterhatoz » 04 Oct 2019 03:48

Lately, I started having this issue (after a Windows update?)

Before trying the above solutions which seemed a bit complex to me, I just clicked on "Network Streams (SAP)" in the Local Network section. This triggered another firewall exception prompt. After that, the renderer list was filled out with all my Chromecasts! Yay!

Logically, I should have clicked on the "mDNS Network Discovery" link, but I was just playing around at this stage ... I'd be interested to know if that also works.

panjap
New Cone
New Cone

Postby panjap » 19 Oct 2019 08:25

What I do to solve is.

Remove old chromecast from Device, then add it again select everything else. When finish adding. It will work properly.

yganchev
New Cone
New Cone

Postby yganchev » 28 Dec 2019 19:34

Since it's not trivial for others to make my script above work (in absense of the needed program), please try the following instead. It will basically do the same as the script:

If VLC is stuck on scanning for renderer, then use VLC to open a random multicast network stream in the range of address 224.0.0.X, where X is between 100 and 199. You should notice there is nothing played (since there is no such stream available). Wait for a while and then check for available renderers again. Now they should show up (might take a couple of seconds but not more than a minute).

Note that once you have used a number X, you cannot use it again. A way to generate new numbers might be to set X to 100 + current date. If you get stuck more than once a day, then add 30 to the date or just use 100 + current minute as a random number. And when all numbers are exhausted, well then you have to powercycle the laptop unless that has already been done in a month.

The complete syntax for the multicast network stream to open is udp://@224.0.0.X:5000

Yes. This finally helped. Many thanks

Quisquis1
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Quisquis1 » 08 Feb 2020 08:17

Since it's not trivial for others to make my script above work (in absense of the needed program), please try the following instead. It will basically do the same as the script:

If VLC is stuck on scanning for renderer, then use VLC to open a random multicast network stream in the range of address 224.0.0.X, where X is between 100 and 199. You should notice there is nothing played (since there is no such stream available). Wait for a while and then check for available renderers again. Now they should show up (might take a couple of seconds but not more than a minute).

Note that once you have used a number X, you cannot use it again. A way to generate new numbers might be to set X to 100 + current date. If you get stuck more than once a day, then add 30 to the date or just use 100 + current minute as a random number. And when all numbers are exhausted, well then you have to powercycle the laptop unless that has already been done in a month.

The complete syntax for the multicast network stream to open is udp://@224.0.0.X:5000

This worked beautifully...

I spent the last hour looking for how to get VLC to find my Chromecast, and after article after article telling me it just works, and if it doesn't you can cast the whole desktop from your Chrome browser, I came across this forum and this post, and it works as advertised.

polygonface
New Cone
New Cone

Postby polygonface » 13 Feb 2020 07:42

That was the solution! Thanks!!!
Hi, I use wifi in order to cast video from VLC to Chromecast. Had the same problem of renderer stuck on scanning on VLC.
After several attempts in vain, I accidentally solved the problem this way: when renderer scanning is stuck, that is: chromecast destination is not showing up in vlc even if chromecast is connected and working on Google Chrome, I simply Disable the Renable WI-FI network connection.

After doing so, the chromacast destination instantly re-appears in the renderer menu.
network--> right click--> properties--> change adapters settings--> wifi-connection -->right click--> Disable---> wait-->right click-->Enable

That worked for me 100%
Cheers
Dade

PJFDO
New Cone
New Cone

Postby PJFDO » 08 Mar 2020 07:49

I faced the same issue in windows 10 x64 , some changes in the Multicast DNS solves the issue

Followed the steps in the below link and it solved.
https://superuser.com/questions/1330027/how-to-enable-mdns-on-windows-10-build-17134

MichelLaBarre
New Cone
New Cone

Postby MichelLaBarre » 19 May 2020 05:00

The broadcast to the wrong NIC may be the case,
I have Wifi and wired-ethernet.
In the last few updates of VLC I have found that when I cannot see the chromecase on wifi, if I plug in ethernet, I can see it (I think 100% of the time but I would not bet my left n-t on it). Both are defined as private networks.

This is not a firewall issue - I disable fw and still have the same problem.

No issue casting from Chrome or videostream.

Also, after a full boot (I do not use fast startup in Win 10), sometimes I can see the Chromecast and sometimes not on wifi (have not checked with ethernet through reboots because I am often not near a ethernet connection).
Either way, after an unpredictable amount of time, I can no longer see it or I can see it again.

Have restarted the chromecast multiple times.

Uninstalling (including deleting fw rules) and rebooting and re-installing, I generally see the chromecast on the installation final step of "run vlc now". Then I quit it and and re-open it and now I cannot see it unpredictably.

This happens with 3.0.8 64 bit, 3.0.10 32 bit and 64 bit.

I have not experimented with older versions.

cha34
New Cone
New Cone

Postby cha34 » 25 May 2020 22:15

Hi can someone help me out with opening multicast network stream?

I've input udp://@224.0.0.X:5000 as my network URL on the Network protocol tab, selected stream > ensured that it was the Source, selected Next > Did not tick off Display Locally and Kept the new destination as File, selected Next > Activated Transcoding and selected Next, unticked stream all elementary streams and clicked Stream

It says "VLC is unable to open the MRL 'udp://@224.0.0.X:5000'. Check the log for details."

ghoulbrook
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ghoulbrook » 17 Jun 2020 19:07

I had this same issue and solved it by disabling IPv6 on my network card.

jabauer650vlan
New Cone
New Cone

Postby jabauer650vlan » 15 Jul 2020 13:12

Thank you ghoulbrook! Simply disabling IPv6 did the trick.

heisdeadjim
New Cone
New Cone

Postby heisdeadjim » 15 Oct 2020 10:46

Hi. I've found the fix. Genuine thanks.

Why is this still happening? I have to put in the fake URL every time.

MichelLaBarre
New Cone
New Cone

Postby MichelLaBarre » 06 Jan 2021 22:00

There is a bug in either chromecast or Windows 10 according to the Chromecast support group which impedes Chrome from seeing a Chromecast device.
It appears to be relevant to VLC as well.

After having problems with VLC and more recently Chrome not finding my Chromecast, I came across the following link:
https://support.google.com/chromecast/thread/84427205

I have a Chromecast Ultra which is Ethernet connected. I had issues with VLC since day one of chromecast support but Chrome was ok.

As of a Chrome update on Nov 18 2020, Chrome started having problems intermittently. The link explains a workaround in a few scattered posts - expand all.

The summary is as follows:
- close all instances of chrome if you are trying to get chrome to see the device
- close all instances of VLC - might not be essential but I generally do it
- go to Windows 10 Settings / Devices - you will see your chromecast device
- delete it
- re-add it (as an "other" device)
- start VLC - normally I see chromecast device right away - it will eventually disappear in which case and you will have to re-delete and re-add
- start chrome - click on the cast button (or open chrome settings and click cast) - I usually need to do it 1-3 times
- once you see it, start a few more instances of chrome and never let all terminate and any chrome session will continue to see the chromecast device

The considerations related to chrome and to vlc have nothing to do with each other - do either set of steps or both as per your needs.

You can also use Control Panel / Devices and Printers to delete and add the chromecast device.

Note - I have seen the posts regarding IPv6 but have not tried that yet.

digixmax
New Cone
New Cone

Postby digixmax » 01 Feb 2021 21:12

FWIW -- I found that my VLC v3.0.12 can discover my Chromecast device only if my PC is attached directly to the WiFi network, and not if the PC is attached to the WiFi network via an intermediate Wireless Ethernet Bridge (providing WiFi range extension).

YesPsychology
New Cone
New Cone

Postby YesPsychology » 24 Apr 2021 12:25

I am connected to a "metered connection" in Windows 10 and fixed the problem of VLC not finding chromecast by enabling in "Download over metered connections" in "Bluetooth & other devices". Before I enabled this, the chromecast would be listed in "Bluetooth & other devices" but complaining about being able to be setup due to a metered connection. Not sure why this helped as Google Chrome and other apps were able to cast without problems. Somehow VLC is dependent on the status of the Chromecast device in the "Bluetooth & other devices" app (Settings->Devices in Win10). Running VLC version 3.0.12. I attempted the udp streaming trick mentioned here before doing this, it did not solve the problem.

Hope this can help someone.

Gormiti
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Gormiti » 02 May 2021 17:55

Hi, just registerd to thank you @pen.
I don't understand any of this sorcery, but this worked for me.
Config : Win 10 Pro 20H2 / VLC 3.0.12 / le old very old PC with le brand new WIFI 6E card (latest intel driver) / Chromecast "standard round stone edition"
Also I did that after deleting the chromecast on "devices" which didn't have any effect apparently (? I could still cast from Chrome)

gweilo8888
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby gweilo8888 » 02 Oct 2021 06:45

It's disheartening that almost three full YEARS after this solution was provided -- and it works 100% of the time -- no official fix has been provided by the VLC team for this problem. I guess it's time I start researching an alternate video player.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”