Auto shut down, restart fails

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
weybrew
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Auto shut down, restart fails

Postby weybrew » 03 Jun 2021 19:38

I have been using VLC for some time. My usage is minimal, i.e. no streaming, no gaming as I am a senior, home PC user. Just this week VLC has suddenly shown a new problem: while playing a video file the screen will freeze up or go all white. I try to shut down the program, but none of the program controls work...everything is frozen. I can shut down the program using Task Manager, but I have to stop both the "apps" and the "background processes" shown on the main PROCESSES tab. Once that is done I can restart the program and restart the video. I tried uninstalling/reinstalling the program but that was no help. Can someone diagnose the problem and offer a fix? Version 3.0.14.

Hitchhiker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.17.4
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Re: Auto shut down, restart fails

Postby Hitchhiker » 04 Jun 2021 07:23

Reset preferences and then try again: https://wiki.videolan.org/VSG:ResetPrefs

weybrew
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Auto shut down, restart fails

Postby weybrew » 04 Jun 2021 21:48

Thanks, Hitchhiker for your post. I didn't know anything about the RESET, and still don't know what it does, but I've done it and will watch to see if the problem occurs.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”