cant move zoom box

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
jjbarea
New Cone
New Cone

cant move zoom box

Postby jjbarea » 09 Apr 2018 15:22

hey guys, i took a couple of videos on my phone Huawei LUA-L21 Y3 II and im trying to use the zoom function but i cant move the box itself, the box appears and is stuck on a corner and i cant move it, ive tried using zoom function with a movie and it works perfectly it can move around without a problem, but when im trying to move the box on the videos that i copied from my phone the box doesnt move, is it because of the file format or something? the resolution?

garf
Developer
Developer

Re: cant move zoom box

Postby garf » 10 Apr 2018 09:35

Hello,

can you test on the latest nightly build ? We have recently fixed a couple of bugs related to the interactive zoom function.

https://nightlies.videolan.org/

jjbarea
New Cone
New Cone

Postby jjbarea » 10 Apr 2018 15:12

Hello,

can you test on the latest nightly build ? We have recently fixed a couple of bugs related to the interactive zoom function.

ok i tried april 10 version and it still seems to be the same, box is auto set on some random corner and i cant move it, i think it has something to do with how the video is filmed on the phone, i think the very first corner the camera filmed is for some reason the corner vlc focuses on automatically when i enable zoom and i just cant move it :(

jjbarea
New Cone
New Cone

Postby jjbarea » 11 Apr 2018 14:09

Hello,

lol i just tried playing around with it again and seems like the zoom box is actually working its just that the box itself is out of place or something if you know what i mean ? i tried holdign my mouse and moving random parts of the screen and it actually changed where the zoom box is LOL so i think it has definitely something to do with how the video is filmed on the phone because when i try to move the actual white box in the zoom corner it does nothing but when i tried moving random "imaginary" box on some random part of the video screen it moved lol

garf
Developer
Developer

Postby garf » 12 Apr 2018 09:14

Hello again,

it seems to be an old bug which appears with interactive zoom on videos with orientations ticket 16792.
I have updated the ticket with new information.

Thanks for the feedback, we will try to have a look !

superdct
New Cone
New Cone

Postby superdct » 16 Sep 2018 00:17

I would like to add a snapshot of my screen to help you find the issue. I filmed this video with my iPhone and experienced the same as jjbarea. I attached an image showing how the text "VLC ZOOM HIDE" is backwards, like a mirror, so it shows up in a different place than you are observing for the user http://www.mediafire.com/file/062884v2u ... 8.jpg/file.

Paul Zabroske
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Paul Zabroske » 17 Feb 2019 13:16

I am having the same problem...can not move the zoom box around

Ninjo
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Ninjo » 11 Jan 2020 15:07

I signed up just to post so i could help you guys as i was just looking for the same thing lol wont go into what i wanted it for lol :wink

So the solution is:
activate rotate and then rotate the video into another position using the circle, then try moving the zoom box. If it still doesnt work then hit the transform checkbox and then flip vertically or flip horizontally and then try to move the box again and it will work

I worked this out by trying to get the text above the box that says vlc zoom hide to be correct

Peace out! Lemme know if it works :)

bruzote
New Cone
New Cone

Postby bruzote » 23 Sep 2020 01:56

The proposed method of solution involving randomly tweaking geometry settings has not worked for me. It's extremely unlikely that I the only person experiencing this problem and for whom the "punch the jukebox until it works" method does NOT help. The posted "solution" was in January 2020. It is now September 2020. Surely someone in support/dev has not assumed that random guesswork was the proper solution. Surely someone has looked further into this issue. To that end, which solution will work based on logic and deterministic behavior? Thank you.

seapickle
New Cone
New Cone

Postby seapickle » 21 Oct 2020 12:37

The proposed method of solution involving randomly tweaking geometry settings has not worked for me. It's extremely unlikely that I the only person experiencing this problem and for whom the "punch the jukebox until it works" method does NOT help. The posted "solution" was in January 2020. It is now September 2020. Surely someone in support/dev has not assumed that random guesswork was the proper solution. Surely someone has looked further into this issue. To that end, which solution will work based on logic and deterministic behavior? Thank you.
The only solution I have gotten to work is to use VLC 2.0 32-bit. I tried most of the 3.XX versions but, they didn't work. Also tried some of the late 2.XX builds but, they didn't work either. The 2.0 32 bit works for me on videos having issues with interactive zoom not working.

Pinoco
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Pinoco » 03 May 2021 10:41

Thanks for the tip seapickle, I just tried out VLC 2.0 32-bit and interactive zoom does indeed work with videos that were originally recorded in portrait mode. Though it only works while the video is in the default landscape mode (which is the wrong perspective as the portrait video is rotated by 90°).

Once you rotate the video to the correct potrait perspective (which is the default in the new VLC version), interactive zoom is not working anymore.

dadooda
New Cone
New Cone

Postby dadooda » 02 Sep 2021 00:09

Guys, the fun thing is that the "sensor" box for such videos is still in the top-left corner, albeit not visible. Try to drag mouse cursor there blindly and you'll navigate the video canvas.

Yes, it's weird and the mirrored box in the bottom-right corner is annoying, but if your screen/window is large enough, the trick still works for the purpose.

VLC 3.0.12 for Windows, x64.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”