new version 3.0.12 on win XP - Subtitles loaded but not shown

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Hitchhiker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.17.4
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Re: new version 3.0.12 on win XP - Subtitles loaded but not shown

Postby Hitchhiker » 03 Apr 2021 10:20

What if you type or copy/paste Freetype2 font renderer in the Search field? Do you get an error message?

Vampiros
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 3.0.16
Operating System: Windows XP

Postby Vampiros » 03 Apr 2021 18:36

What if you type or copy/paste Freetype2 font renderer in the Search field? Do you get an error message?

This is what I get:

(click to enlarge)

Hitchhiker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Hitchhiker » 03 Apr 2021 19:33

Not shown here, but in the screenshot you posted to github, simple menu Subtitles / OSD menu where it reads Default Encoding change Default (Windows 1252) to Universal (UTF-8). Do the usual Save, exit and restart.

If it doesn't revert to default again change MS Shell Dlg 2 to Arial. Save and restart. What happens now?

mederi
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 2.0.8
Operating System: Windows Vista/XP

Postby mederi » 03 Apr 2021 19:49

Try to use "\plugins\text_renderer\libfreetype_plugin.dll" from previous version of VLC (3.0.11).

Spike1
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: And:3.6.0β,Win:2.2.1

Postby Spike1 » 04 Apr 2021 16:15

I too installed 3.0.12 on several XP machines this week hoping to pick up any recent improvements. It was very slow to random-seek. Watching a movie on DVD, the sound occasionally cut out; this DVD had two English audio tracks and switching was sometimes a solution. I didn't try subtitles. It was effortless to revert to 2.2.1.

Unlike a poster above, I am not "disappointed" in VLC and don't claim I know better than you where to allocate your resources. Just offering feedback. If the current version doesn't support "ancient" OS, maybe this could be stated more clearly (even have the installer give a warning!). Otherwise, accept user observations and repair core functions, though advanced features might not work. Cheers!

Vampiros
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Vampiros » 04 Apr 2021 17:38

Not shown here, but in the screenshot you posted to github, simple menu Subtitles / OSD menu where it reads Default Encoding change Default (Windows 1252) to Universal (UTF-8). Do the usual Save, exit and restart.

If it doesn't revert to default again change MS Shell Dlg 2 to Arial. Save and restart. What happens now?

It seems to change to Arial, but after saving and restarting it is back to MS Shell Dlg 2. This happens with the encoding set to Default (Windows-1252) and also with the encoding set to Universal (UTF-8).

Vampiros
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Vampiros » 04 Apr 2021 18:23

Try to use "\plugins\text_renderer\libfreetype_plugin.dll" from previous version of VLC (3.0.11).

Now we're getting serious... This works! Full functionality seems to be restored. :D I figure there may be some incompatibilities, but in a quick test I have both on-screen display and subtitles. And I can change the font. Thanks!

Hitchhiker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Hitchhiker » 04 Apr 2021 18:31

You'd better go update your Github thread. I'm sure they'll be pleased to hear about it. ;)

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 04 Apr 2021 18:44

Unlike a poster above, I am not "disappointed" in VLC and don't claim I know better than you where to allocate your resources. Just offering feedback. If the current version doesn't support "ancient" OS, maybe this could be stated more clearly (even have the installer give a warning!).
This was not done knowingly so there are no ways that this would have been documented. VLC is a community effort. If users don't test, then it does not get tested, and issues don't get found out before releases. It's really as simple as that.

Evidently, nobody wants to spend their free time testing on Windows XP, or really on any old OS version.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 05 Apr 2021 00:44

Now we're getting serious... This works! Full functionality seems to be restored. :D I figure there may be some incompatibilities, but in a quick test I have both on-screen display and subtitles. And I can change the font. Thanks!

So now we know the latest version of libfreetype_plugin.dll provided with VLC 3.0.12 is not XP compatible.

Vampiros
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Vampiros » 05 Apr 2021 19:00

You'd better go update your Github thread. I'm sure they'll be pleased to hear about it. ;)

Yes, I've now done that and gotten confirmation that this is "a compilation issue".

Vampiros
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Vampiros » 05 Apr 2021 19:11

I too installed 3.0.12 on several XP machines this week hoping to pick up any recent improvements. It was very slow to random-seek. Watching a movie on DVD, the sound occasionally cut out; this DVD had two English audio tracks and switching was sometimes a solution. I didn't try subtitles. It was effortless to revert to 2.2.1.

Unlike a poster above, I am not "disappointed" in VLC and don't claim I know better than you where to allocate your resources. Just offering feedback. If the current version doesn't support "ancient" OS, maybe this could be stated more clearly (even have the installer give a warning!). Otherwise, accept user observations and repair core functions, though advanced features might not work. Cheers!

I have not had any major problems (except for this one) on XP, although I haven't used VLC to watch a DVD in quite some time. The problems you had might be due to increased memory demands from version 3. I believe the intention is to have version 3 remain compatible with Windows XP and abandon compatibility with version 4.

Vampiros
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Vampiros » 05 Apr 2021 19:22

So now we know the latest version of libfreetype_plugin.dll provided with VLC 3.0.12 is not XP compatible.

Yes, as mentioned above I've gotten confirmation that this is "a compilation issue". So we can hope that this will eventually be fixed in version 3.0.12 and future (if any) version 3's.

Vampiros
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Vampiros » 05 Apr 2021 19:50

In case anyone is wondering how to work around this, you have to replace the file libfreetype_plugin.dll from version 3.0.12 with the same file from version 3.0.11.

To extract the file from version 3.0.11, you can use 7-Zip or a similar zipper program on the vlc-3.0.11-win32.exe installation file. Look for the file in \plugins\text_renderer\. If VLC version 3.0.11 is already installed, you can just look for it on your hard drive in \Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\plugins\text_renderer\. Then copy it to another folder.

To replace the file in version 3.0.12, go to \Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\plugins\text_renderer\ and rename libfreetype_plugin.dll to something without DLL on the end, but something you'll recognize if you ever have to go back to the 3.0.12 version of the file (I called it libfreetype_plugin.dll.new). Then copy the 3.0.11 version of the file which you set aside earlier to \Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\plugins\text_renderer\.

After this I rebooted the computer, which may not be necessary but is always a good idea after making changes like this. After the reboot, subtitles were displaying just fine. :D

Hitchhiker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Hitchhiker » 06 Apr 2021 12:13

I believe the intention is to have version 3 remain compatible with Windows XP and abandon compatibility with version 4.

To run vlc 4.0 you need minimum Windows 7 / Windows 2008 R2. So not even Windows Vista will be able to run it.

EDIT: forgot to add the link: https://www.theredmondcloud.com/vlc-4-0 ... -versions/

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 06 Apr 2021 16:16

Historically, for every major VLC releases, somebody or other promised to maintain the previous release, and then failed to actually do so in any meaningful extent and for any meaningful length of time. I surmise that the reasons are always the same: nobody wants to spend their free time maintaining an old VLC version, and nobody wants to pay for someone else to do it either.

Maybe it will be different this time around, but I have to say that I doubt it. I rather think that, if you will be needing VLC 3.0, whether that's to run on Windows XP, or Vista, or really for any reason, you should prepare to have to do it yourself.
Rémi Denis-Courmont

Vampiros
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Vampiros » 06 Apr 2021 20:53

The "milestone" for this has been set to 3.0.13. I interpret that to mean that the goal is to have it working in version 3.0.13.

Vampiros
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Vampiros » 06 Apr 2021 21:00

Historically, for every major VLC releases, somebody or other promised to maintain the previous release, and then failed to actually do so in any meaningful extent and for any meaningful length of time. I surmise that the reasons are always the same: nobody wants to spend their free time maintaining an old VLC version, and nobody wants to pay for someone else to do it either.

Maybe it will be different this time around, but I have to say that I doubt it. I rather think that, if you will be needing VLC 3.0, whether that's to run on Windows XP, or Vista, or really for any reason, you should prepare to have to do it yourself.

That's a good warning. My feeling is that it would be naïve to expect version 3 to be maintained once version 4 is released. What I am hoping, but not expecting, is that the final release of version 3 will run on "old" operating systems without any major bugs.

Spike1
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: And:3.6.0β,Win:2.2.1

Postby Spike1 » 06 Apr 2021 22:28

What I am hoping, but not expecting, is that the final release of version 3 will run on "old" operating systems without any major bugs.
Or, at least, do the old stuff on old operating systems, a hope even for version 4. Some new features will of course require modern OS support, but a new VLC version should not stop doing things VLC used to be able to do.

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 07 Apr 2021 17:01

Or, at least, do the old stuff on old operating systems, a hope even for version 4. Some new features will of course require modern OS support, but a new VLC version should not stop doing things VLC used to be able to do.
You're free to make a fork of VLC 4 that will run on Windows XP. Official releases will most definitely not support Windows XP.
Rémi Denis-Courmont

mederi
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 2.0.8
Operating System: Windows Vista/XP

Postby mederi » 09 Apr 2021 18:09

The bug should already be fixed. Please try the latest VLC 3 nightly build on XP: http://nightlies.videolan.org/

Vampiros
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Vampiros » 11 Jun 2021 21:59

I finally updated to version 3.0.15, and it looks to work great on Windows XP. Thanks for the fix! I will try to test nightly builds from time to time.

Hitchhiker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Hitchhiker » 12 Jun 2021 08:43

I finally updated to version 3.0.15, and it looks to work great on Windows XP. Thanks for the fix! I will try to test nightly builds from time to time.

3.0.15 has been removed due to failures in Windows 8.1: https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.ph ... 52#p518252

After the issues have been fixed and 3.0.15 is re-released it might not work in Win XP afterwards.

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 12 Jun 2021 11:21

IMO the failure of VLC 3.0.15 is in the D3D11 module and there is no D3D11 on XP so it doesn't really matter ;-)
Unless some other bug is found in between.

Vampiros
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Vampiros » 12 Jun 2021 18:12

3.0.15 has been removed due to failures in Windows 8.1: https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.ph ... 52#p518252

After the issues have been fixed and 3.0.15 is re-released it might not work in Win XP afterwards.

Thanks for the warning! If I discover any problems with the latest release of 3.0.15 I will report them. None so far...

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”