new version 3.0.12 on win XP - Subtitles loaded but not shown

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
kondoril
New Cone
New Cone

Postby kondoril » 23 Jan 2021 18:11

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Re: new version 3.0.12 on win XP - Subtitles loaded but not shown

Postby Lotesdelere » 24 Jan 2021 09:25

It works on Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 though.

Please open Tools -> Messages (set Verbosity to 2) before you start the playback, and then paste the full resulting log here or on Pastebin.com if it's too long.

You should create a new ticket on the VLC Trac with your above report and the link to this thread:
https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/

mederi
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 2.0.8
Operating System: Windows Vista/XP

Postby mederi » 24 Jan 2021 13:42

gregvlc2020
New Cone
New Cone

Postby gregvlc2020 » 26 Jan 2021 16:58

Hi,
I have similar problem but on Win 7 German VLC 3.0.11 - I can choose (add) a file with subtitles (.srt), on PC subs are OK, but on Chromecast NOT (Playback rederrer > chromecast). Multimedia file: *.mkv with 2 audio tracks and 1 subs track.

KES
New Cone
New Cone

Postby KES » 26 Jan 2021 20:44

Same here. Downgraded to previous version. Never in 40 years of computing have I had to do that. Very disappointed.

Hitchhiker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.17.4
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Postby Hitchhiker » 27 Jan 2021 15:41

Same here. Downgraded to previous version. Never in 40 years of computing have I had to do that. Very disappointed.

It's the operating system which is the culprit here not vlc. I have Win 8.1 installed and can view subs without a problem in 3.0.12

(click to enlage)

There comes a time unfortunately when old technology no longer works with modern apps and an upgrade to a later version of Windows becomes a necessity. For example the minimum system requirements to run the forthcoming vlc 4.0 is Windows 7. https://www.ghacks.net/2019/02/06/vlc-media-player-4-0/

Either that or switch to a Linux distro.

mederi
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 2.0.8
Operating System: Windows Vista/XP

Postby mederi » 27 Jan 2021 16:20

Developers of VLC need logs from an XP user. Please somebody get the logs and provide them in the ticket 25411. You can use VLC 3.0.12 as a portable one without installation, just extract VLC (vlc-3.0.12-win32.7z) and manually create empty "portable" folder in VLC dir where "vlc.exe" is.

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 02 Feb 2021 19:05

This wouldn't be happening if somebody actually cared to test VLC nightlies on XP, or pay an IT support company to maintain VLC properly... instead of complaining when it is too late.

The VideoLAN foundation does not have resources to spare on testing for regression with ancient OS versions. It hardly has the resources to test stable releases at all.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

KES
New Cone
New Cone

Postby KES » 19 Feb 2021 06:26

It's the operating system which is the culprit here not vlc. I have Win 8.1 installed and can view subs without a problem in 3.0.12

(click to enlage)

There comes a time unfortunately when old technology no longer works with modern apps and an upgrade to a later version of Windows becomes a necessity. For example the minimum system requirements to run the forthcoming vlc 4.0 is Windows 7. https://www.ghacks.net/2019/02/06/vlc-media-player-4-0/

Either that or switch to a Linux distro.
But it was said to work. And it still says it will work.
Windows requirements

VLC runs on all versions of Windows, from Windows XP SP3 to the last version of Windows 10.
Therefore it is VLC at fault not the OS.

If version 4 fails to work with XP then it is VLC's loss as I'll not change OS. Sure to be plenty of other apps that will do the job or I could just stick with my current VLC version. XP is still IMO the best OS MickySoft have ever made and probably ever will. That dirty trick they played on my 80 year old friend when he clicked the close button on a Win 7 to 10 upgrade but they went on and did it anyway made me some money fixing it but they lost what little reputation they had with at least two people.

And don't tell me what OS to use. I choose my apps accordingly. VLC promised to work but failed to.

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 19 Feb 2021 08:22

So you can choose to use XP and blame it on VLC, but VLC developers cannot choose which OS they spend their free time supporting? This looks pretty hypocritical to me.

Windows XP display drivers are notoriously buggy. Microsoft and device vendors don't bother fixing drivers for XP since it is no longer supported. It's as simple as that. It's also not getting security updates, so it's pretty dangerous and irresponsible to use on the Internet at this point.

And VLC never promised to work. The license clearly states (emphasis added):
NO WARRANTY

11. BECAUSE THE PROGRAM IS LICENSED FREE OF CHARGE, THERE IS NO WARRANTY
FOR THE PROGRAM, TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW. EXCEPT WHEN
OTHERWISE STATED IN WRITING THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND/OR OTHER PARTIES
PROVIDE THE PROGRAM "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESSED
OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF
MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. THE ENTIRE RISK AS
TO THE QUALITY AND PERFORMANCE OF THE PROGRAM IS WITH YOU.
SHOULD THE
PROGRAM PROVE DEFECTIVE, YOU ASSUME THE COST OF ALL NECESSARY SERVICING,
REPAIR OR CORRECTION.

12. IN NO EVENT UNLESS REQUIRED BY APPLICABLE LAW OR AGREED TO IN WRITING
WILL ANY COPYRIGHT HOLDER, OR ANY OTHER PARTY WHO MAY MODIFY AND/OR
REDISTRIBUTE THE PROGRAM AS PERMITTED ABOVE, BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR DAMAGES,
INCLUDING ANY GENERAL, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARISING
OUT OF THE USE OR INABILITY TO USE THE PROGRAM (INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED
TO LOSS OF DATA OR DATA BEING RENDERED INACCURATE OR LOSSES SUSTAINED BY
YOU OR THIRD PARTIES OR A FAILURE OF THE PROGRAM TO OPERATE WITH ANY OTHER
PROGRAMS), EVEN IF SUCH HOLDER OR OTHER PARTY HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE
POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.
You are most welcome to assume the cost of all necessary (...) correction to restore subtitles on Windows XP. I'm sure some IT consultants would charge you for it.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

Vampiros
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 3.0.16
Operating System: Windows XP

Postby Vampiros » 29 Mar 2021 16:03

This seems to be getting worked on a bit (see https://code.videolan.org/videolan/vlc/-/issues/25411). I would be happy to test any corrected versions on XP.

Hitchhiker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Hitchhiker » 29 Mar 2021 21:22

This seems to be getting worked on a bit (see https://code.videolan.org/videolan/vlc/-/issues/25411). I would be happy to test any corrected versions on XP.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that it's being "worked on".

On Github where you've contributed a couple of screenshots you mentioned that the font can't be changed, but that's not the case at all. Follow instructions in this tutorial to change the font which you should do anyway since MS Shell dlg 2 - shown in one of the screenshots - is only used to display Greek glyphs.

Here's a pix of the menu where you can change the font.

(click to enlarge)

Vampiros
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Vampiros » 29 Mar 2021 23:07

I wouldn't go so far as to say that it's being "worked on".

On Github where you've contributed a couple of screenshots you mentioned that the font can't be changed, but that's not the case at all. Follow instructions in this tutorial to change the font which you should do anyway since MS Shell dlg 2 - shown in one of the screenshots - is only used to display Greek glyphs.

Here's a pix of the menu where you can change the font.

(click to enlarge)

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, changing to "All" settings rather than "Simple" settings does not work any better... with version 3.0.12 on Windows XP. Indeed, the Freetype2 font renderer is not even displayed - there is nothing after "Subsdelay" (see screenshot below). This appears to be consistent with the analysis (here) that "The freetype module does not seem to load".

Last edited by Vampiros on 30 Mar 2021 21:06, edited 1 time in total.

Hitchhiker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Hitchhiker » 30 Mar 2021 17:08

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, changing to "All" settings rather than "Simple" settings does not work any better... with version 3.0.12 on Windows XP. Indeed, the Freetype2 font renderer is not even displayed - there is nothing after "Subsdelay" (see screenshot below). This appears to be consistent with the analysis (here) that "The freetype module does not seem to load".

Unfortunately I can't view your screenshot because it requires a login to Google.

Upload it to the same free image hosting I use which is https://postimages.org/ No account login required there.

In the "All" settings type text renderer and it should take you directly to the menu shown in the picture.

(click to enlarge)

Vampiros
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Vampiros » 30 Mar 2021 20:39

Unfortunately I can't view your screenshot because it requires a login to Google.

Upload it to the same free image hosting I use which is https://postimages.org/ No account login required there.

In the "All" settings type text renderer and it should take you directly to the menu shown in the picture.

(click to enlarge)

Sorry about that - I can see my screenshot without being logged in to any Google account, but apparently this is not true for everyone. And thanks for the tip about Postimages. The screenshot hosted there is right here :

Hitchhiker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Hitchhiker » 30 Mar 2021 20:49

Did you try typing "Text Renderer" (without quotes) in the Search field top left?

Vampiros
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Vampiros » 30 Mar 2021 21:20

No, I will have to reinstall version 3.0.12 to test that, so I will do it another day. I just tried to fix the Google image link from before, I am hoping that will work now.

Hitchhiker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Hitchhiker » 31 Mar 2021 12:00

Are you using Classic Shell? The only reason I'm asking is because you don't appear to be using the default XP interface in your screenshots.

If you are, try disabling it since these kind of applications can prevent third party applications like vlc from functioning properly.

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 31 Mar 2021 13:57

Are you using Classic Shell? The only reason I'm asking is because you don't appear to be using the default XP interface in your screenshots.

It's the Classic theme, nothing fancy there.
I have the feeling the module is just not loaded, usually because of some missing instruction or not compiled with NT 5.1 compatibility.

Hitchhiker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Hitchhiker » 31 Mar 2021 21:34

It's the Classic theme, nothing fancy there.
I have the feeling the module is just not loaded, usually because of some missing instruction or not compiled with NT 5.1 compatibility.

Could be.

Ms Shell Dlg 2 appears in the registry at this location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\FontSubstitutes but not in the vlc text renderer.

You're probably right on the missing instruction supposition since it seems a bit odd that vlc would load a substitute font instead of a standard one.

Vampiros
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Vampiros » 01 Apr 2021 20:39

Right, here is the latest screenshot, typing "text renderer" in "All" settings and using the ugly :lol: default XP interface. The Freetype2 font renderer is unfortunately still missing. Again, this supports the idea that "The freetype module does not seem to load". Any other ideas would be welcome.

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 02 Apr 2021 13:41

The problem may lie in the SSA subtitles plugin of v3.0.12, even on Windows 10, according to this report:
https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.ph ... 06#p516006

Or is it linked to the codec being used or anything else ? Because v3.0.12 works for me so far with the few MKV+SSA sample files I have.

Vampiros
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Vampiros » 02 Apr 2021 16:26

I have only tried SRT subtitle files, and they don't work. Additionally, there is no on-screen display of any kind, which suggests that this is in fact the same problem as the one reported here:
https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=156209

Hitchhiker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Hitchhiker » 02 Apr 2021 16:57

That's odd: the complete Video menu is missing in your screenshot. Does it appear in the Simple mode?

Vampiros
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Vampiros » 02 Apr 2021 21:28

That's odd: the complete Video menu is missing in your screenshot. Does it appear in the Simple mode?

Yes, there is a Video section in "Simple" settings as well as in "All" settings (see screenshots below). However, when you start to type in the Search area (in "All" settings), only certain menus (considered "relevant") are displayed. Since the Freetype2 font renderer cannot be found, the only "relevant" result is "ARIB subtitles", which is in the "Input / Codecs" menu. At least, that is how I would explain it.

Image Image
(click to enlarge)

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”