VLC DVD ISO Playback Overlay & Jitter

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
hjkaye@gmail.com
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

VLC DVD ISO Playback Overlay & Jitter

Postby hjkaye@gmail.com » 07 Dec 2020 07:17

I have a number of DVD ISO files that I've had for several years with no issue on VLC Windows, but I haven't used it for ISO files Windows 10 for some time. I found this problem on the Win10 version when I started to reorganize my collection on my laptop. All other media types I have tried play ok (MP4, AVI etc.).

Problem: When I open an ISO, the the copyright, Dolby screens and warning segments play OK (start with menu is disabled for DVD). When the menu displays, it is overlaid with a green flashing background with thin horizontal bars, like this: green bars-menu-green bars-menu flashing over and over, forever.

If I manage to use the playback menu to select the main feature, the flashing overlay continues, sometimes the DVD menu graphics will flash over the top of the video. Sometimes, if I drag the scroll bar back and forth, the video will appear properly, unsure of the exact sequence needed for this to work, seems random, sometimes it never works.

I then tried the actual DVD disc corresponding to the ISO file, exactly the same problem on several discs. All play beautifully on my blu-ray player (haven't tried to play an ISO file).

In some recent release, this feature has become unusable on Windows. It used to work beautifully. I should note the same files still play perfectly on VLC Android.

I was running from the dailies beta files, as late as today's, because of a chromecast casting issue, but downgraded today to the 3.0.11 release version, no change. On another computer, same problem on the production 3.0.11 release. I have restarted windows several times, reinstalled vlc.

Frequently when playing ISO's VLC App will hang, when it does, on task manager will vanish from the "apps" section, but still is running as a process. This prevents it from starting again if another ISO is selected to play. I have to got to task manager and end task before I can restart VLC properly. Windows 10 20H2, on Dell Inspiron A-I-O 16 gigs ram, AMD A6 w/Radeon graphics

I've tried turning off accelerations and output options with little effect.

Again, as I noted, the same exact files on VLC Android play perfectly.

Help?

Hitchhiker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.17.4
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Re: VLC DVD ISO Playback Overlay & Jitter

Postby Hitchhiker » 08 Dec 2020 17:12

It would appear that your email address which you've used to register on this forum has been compromised. Go to this site and copy / paste your gmail address to see the results. https://haveibeenpwned.com/

You need to be aware that bots some of which are malicious are constantly trawling the Web looking for email addresses to be spoofed in malware and ransomware infections.

Darnassus
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Darnassus » 08 Dec 2020 18:40

It would appear that your email address which you've used to register on this forum has been compromised. Go to this site and copy / paste your gmail address to see the results. https://haveibeenpwned.com/

You need to be aware that bots some of which are malicious are constantly trawling the Web looking for email addresses to be spoofed in malware and ransomware infections.
... wat... what has this to do with anything?

OP try get an earlier version of VLC, current build has weird playback issues.

For me, sometimes after unpausing a video.. the image is stuck but the audio continues to play.
Screw the Christmas Cone haters. :f Image

Hitchhiker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.17.4
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Postby Hitchhiker » 09 Dec 2020 11:37

Problem: When I open an ISO, the the copyright, Dolby screens and warning segments play OK (start with menu is disabled for DVD). When the menu displays, it is overlaid with a green flashing background with thin horizontal bars, like this: green bars-menu-green bars-menu flashing over and over, forever.
https://wiki.videolan.org/WindowsFAQ-2. ... _red_lines

hjkaye@gmail.com
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby hjkaye@gmail.com » 10 Dec 2020 17:50

OP try get an earlier version of VLC, current build has weird playback issues.
Thanks, I will try an earlier release. The current DVD/ISO playback on the windows version is horrible.
For me, sometimes after unpausing a video.. the image is stuck but the audio continues to play.
Yes, I get that too

hjkaye@gmail.com
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby hjkaye@gmail.com » 11 Dec 2020 19:13

Had some older install files saved, so I downgraded to vlc-3.0.10-win64-a9a75ea8, from May/20 which exhibited the same DVD/ISO playback issues.

Moved back to vlc-3.0.2-win64 which was a 2018 file, DVD/ISO playback is perfect.

SO, somewhere before or from the May build the DVD playback issue arose.

As a reminder, the most current Android version I have installed works fine with the ISO files (v3.3.3 beta 4).

Let me know if anything further is required.

hjkaye@gmail.com
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby hjkaye@gmail.com » 12 Dec 2020 05:12

https://wiki.videolan.org/WindowsFAQ-2. ... _red_lines
I tried much of that FAQ, never had much of a difference. There are so many options, I'm unsure if I tried every one. See post above re: older version

hjkaye@gmail.com
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby hjkaye@gmail.com » 22 Dec 2020 21:39

Afternoon... any update? I was wondering if the version I have installed can play blu-ray discs? I have tried several ISO & discs it just sits with the yellow "loading" indicator and never completes.. This is the only version I had at hand that can play DVDs without a problem: Version 3.0.2 ventari

hjkaye@gmail.com
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby hjkaye@gmail.com » 19 Jan 2021 06:37

No updates or progress here, thought I'd try again.

Just installed the latest production version 3.0.12 from the check for updates. The ISO playback issues are still present, but different. The DVD menu shows up ok, when selecting a chapter from the menu, it plays for a bit then freezes. Eventually it just quits, but leaves a task running which has to be end tasked on task manager. The last bit is the same as the previous production release I tried.

Back to 3.0.2 all is OK on the same ISO files.

Installed vlc-4.0.0-dev-win64-8c6ccc3b from the dailies. It's an awful mess. The UI is very confusing. It doesn't offer access to any local disks, only the CD player. I stumbled over the menu, open a file ok, audio but no video. Somewhere I clicked and got the proper video, none of the DVD menus work.

Back to 3.0.2 again..

My favorite video player is fast becoming my least!

hjkaye@gmail.com
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby hjkaye@gmail.com » 02 Mar 2021 18:59

Downloaded the most recent daily today, tested on DVD ISO playback. It has improved, but there are still a few titles that display the flashing green overlay. I'd say 70% are working. As far as I can tell, 100% of them are working properly on VLC Android.

Downloaded version: vlc-3.0.12.1-win64-17f64a4d

salexc
New Cone
New Cone

Postby salexc » 11 Nov 2021 10:31

Hi,

Registered to say this issue is still present in 3.0.16. Interestingly, mounting an ISO through Win10 and asking VLC to play it, reproduces the issues the OP describes; however navigating to VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS.IFO and playing that directly, results in perfect playback. So a (not-ideal) workaround exists.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”