De-associate bin and cue extensions in windows

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.

De-associate bin and cue extensions in windows

Postby Guest » 28 Jan 2006 16:36

Hello,
I've just installed vlc media player 0.8.4a in win xp sp2 and it associates bin and cue extension to vlc. How can I remove this?. I've looked in the File Type menu in My Computer->Options but there is no refernce there to the bin and cue extensions

Thanks,

dionoea
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby dionoea » 28 Jan 2006 18:16

you should uninstall vlc and rerun the installer. Uncheck cue and bin in the options when installing.
Antoine Cellerier
dionoea
(Please do not use private messages for support questions)

persep
New Cone
New Cone

Postby persep » 31 Jan 2006 09:14

It's allready unchecked in the installer.The way i've found that works is to manually check the bin and cue extensions and then go to My Computer -> Folder options and delete the bin and cue extension or restore to it's previous owner.

Therre a serious error withe the file association in the installer

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 31 Jan 2006 09:37

The best way is to uninstall and reinstall VLC. The choices you made during install can be undone or changed.

Don't be surprised if there is no selection for .cue files. I don't believe there was a choice here and I have never had an association for .cue files. At any rate all the file types that VLC supports are there. But then again my associations show up in Tools, Folder Options, File Types. :o

persep
New Cone
New Cone

Postby persep » 31 Jan 2006 09:43

When you install you have a choice for extensions and a group called other, inside there you have by default bin and cue unchecked ( just like all the other extensions) therefore bin and cue should not be associated with vlc but they are indeed.

That's why I said that's an installer bug

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 31 Jan 2006 10:25

When you install you have a choice for extensions and a group called other, inside there you have by default bin and cue unchecked ( just like all the other extensions) therefore bin and cue should not be associated with vlc but they are indeed.

That's why I said that's an installer bug
Then they must also show up in file types and can be changed form there. I have never had an association for .cue and I chose the association for .bin

In case you haven't noticed, all the associations are unchecked. When I originally installed VLC I chose nothing and nothing was associated. Later when I wanted things associated it did, so I'm not quit sure what the problem is. Many times I have recommended making changes to users through this method and you are the first to come back and say it didn't work?? :o

persep
New Cone
New Cone

Postby persep » 31 Jan 2006 10:38

try this,
uninstall vlc video player
install vlc video player 0.8.4a and don't change any of the default settings (you can see for yourself that the bin and cue are not checked,ie do not change you computer bin and cue association)
check and see what program is associated with bin and cue
If it is the vlc video player (which it is in my system) is this the correct behavior of the installer program? (when we haven't said so...)

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 31 Jan 2006 10:53

I have just given this a bit of time and some more thought! :oops:

What if this is not a new problem but instead a very old problem!

Seldom do I see a program during, uninstall actually remove all the references it made. All of the associations would need to be removed during the uninstall process or the install would need to read the registry during the install process, which is not a usual condition for installers. Also all of the associations that you had previously would need to show up in the installer and I don't believe they do. I have changed the Context Sensitive condition but I have never tried to remove an association with the uninstall reinstall process and I think this is the first time I have recommended it.

This gentlemen may be correct, but instead of a bug it is a very old problem with Windows. Still it probably should be addressed. :roll:

persep
New Cone
New Cone

Postby persep » 31 Jan 2006 11:02

Not quite a Windows error,
the correct behavior of the installer should be to NOT CHANGE ANY of the file extensions because by default they are all uncheked in the installer.

That's all.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 31 Jan 2006 11:33

Not quite a Windows error,
the correct behavior of the installer should be to NOT CHANGE ANY of the file extensions because by default they are all uncheked in the installer.

That's all.
I didn't say it was a Windows error! It is a very old Windows problem for programmers dealing with the Windows method of Install and Uninstall. Most programmers use packages to do this that were originally built under the recommendations of Microsoft. The reality is that they do not remove all the references they make in the registry when uninstalling the program. I the case of associations, there were and still are programs that steal them without regard to another owner so most progammers and uninstall packages leave them alone because the program is no longer there so it will revert to the prior owner. During the install however it is not usual for the installer to read the registry and generally not necessary. But in this case it would be necessary. The associations that you had in a prior version should show up in order to allow for change by the user.

Now, you really were ahead before your last statement. :oops:

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”