VLC 3.x mp4v ts mux error / Grey screen & scrambled video

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
dyaeger543
New Cone
New Cone

VLC 3.x mp4v ts mux error / Grey screen & scrambled video

Postby dyaeger543 » 23 Nov 2020 17:41

Hello everyone.

My team has been using VLC for streaming desktop video feeds across our LAN. We were previously using VLC v2.2.6 without any issues.

We recently upgraded to VLC v 3.0.11, and have run into an issue with streaming the desktop as a mp4v video stream using ts muxing. The stream connects just fine, but shows up as a grey screen. With movement on the source desktop/video, some parts of the video stream become visible, but never the entire stream.

We are using the latest VLCJ (v 4.x) and the stream is being created using the following parameters:

screen:// --qt-start-minimized --screen-fps 25 --sout-transcode-hurry-up :sout=#transcode{vcodec=mp4v,scale=1,acodec=none}:http{mux=ts,dst=:7575/} :no-sout-rtp-sap :no-sout-standard-sap :ttl=1 :sout-keep

This issue also occurs when skipping the VLCJ implementation and simply starting/viewing the stream using the VLC player itself.

I'm seeing this message in the logs of the receiving VLC player:

ts demux error: - SL/FMC descriptor not found/matched
Multiple VOL headersheader damaged
warning: first frame is no keyframe
getbuffer() failed
thread_get_buffer() failed

Again, the stream connects, but the video is mostly gray, with the image partially updating only with large movement on the source desktop.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

dyaeger543
New Cone
New Cone

Re: VLC 3.x mp4v ts mux error / Grey screen & scrambled video

Postby dyaeger543 » 30 Nov 2020 17:23

Quick Update:

I have tried the typically suggested changes to the VLC player preferences (increase buffer sizes, turn off hardware acceleration) with no change in stream performance.

I have also tried changing the video encoding to mp2v. This causes the video stream to clear up initially, but after about 30-60 seconds, the MRL becomes unreachable by other systems.

dyaeger543
New Cone
New Cone

Re: VLC 3.x mp4v ts mux error / Grey screen & scrambled video

Postby dyaeger543 » 29 Dec 2020 14:58

Final update:

In case anyone else runs into this issue, I was able to get video working properly by switching the mux module to "asf" instead of "ts". It seems like the ts muxer/demuxer is broken on VLC versions 3.0 and higher. I'm not sure why this hasn't been addressed, or at least acknowledged, b y now.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”