VLC Chromecast Stopped Working

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
hjkaye@gmail.com
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

VLC Chromecast Stopped Working

Postby hjkaye@gmail.com » 20 May 2019 02:28

Hi all, had a version of VLC that worked fine with both my Chromecast devices, the original and the 2nd generation. I generally of late use the Android version 3.1.4 which still works fine, so don't use windows version much.

At some point in recent history, the Windows version stopped working. I am guessing it stopped working when I upgraded recently.

On Windows 10 1809 build 17763.475, VLC versions 3.0.6, & dailys 3.0.7 and 4.0.0 same symptoms. I can choose either Chromecast device from the playback/renderer menu, and the same behavior occurs. After pressing play, the title bar briefly displays the name of the title, then reverts back to "VLC media player". Nothing whatsoever is show on the TV, it just keeps showing the photos in Ambient.

Playing locally, no issue. I tried MP4, MP3, AVI files, same behaviour. I did not try to revert to an earlier version.

Here is the debug message stream: https://pastebin.com/s22dUL6b

Help?

hjkaye@gmail.com
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: VLC Chromecast Stopped Working

Postby hjkaye@gmail.com » 06 Jun 2019 04:16

Bump?

hjkaye@gmail.com
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby hjkaye@gmail.com » 09 Jun 2019 23:17

Just working on a different computer in my network, same network, same windows version, both Vlc 3.0.7, works fine. Tried WiFi and wired on the 2nd computer, no difference, worked fine.

On the original problem PC, I have uninstalled VLC, re-installed, turned off firewall, added vlc to firewall exceptions, removed it and re-added, still no luck which used to work very well, just stopped for some reason, unable to determine when because I use the Android version from my tablet most often recently.

I have uninstalled VLC, removed VLC from the firewall list, reinstalled version 3.0.2, when it started it popped up the firewall block message, I clicked ALLOW. My chromecast shows in the list as always, when I select it and click play on VLC, same behavior, the video title on the titlebar shows for about a second, then back to "vlc media player", absolutely no change on the TV screen.

I am at a loss to understand why one PC out of several has this problem. Of course it has to be the one I use most often.

Help?

InTheWings
Developer
Developer
VLC version: crashing
Operating System: Linux

Postby InTheWings » 10 Jun 2019 09:39

Just working on a different computer in my network, same network, same windows version, both Vlc 3.0.7, works fine. Tried WiFi and wired on the 2nd computer, no difference, worked fine.

On the original problem PC, I have uninstalled VLC, re-installed, turned off firewall, added vlc to firewall exceptions, removed it and re-added, still no luck which used to work very well, just stopped for some reason, unable to determine when because I use the Android version from my tablet most often recently.

I have uninstalled VLC, removed VLC from the firewall list, reinstalled version 3.0.2, when it started it popped up the firewall block message, I clicked ALLOW. My chromecast shows in the list as always, when I select it and click play on VLC, same behavior, the video title on the titlebar shows for about a second, then back to "vlc media player", absolutely no change on the TV screen.

I am at a loss to understand why one PC out of several has this problem. Of course it has to be the one I use most often.

Help?
There's a bug on Windows OS with multiple network cards
:!: If you want your problem to be solved :
* First read troubleshooting guide VSG:Main
* Always provide verbose LOGS ! (command line or from gui)
* Always check your issue against a developer build from Nightly Build of VLC
* Tell us when your problem is solved !

lashram
New Cone
New Cone

Postby lashram » 11 Jun 2019 13:08

For the last week vlc 3.0.6 and 3.0.7 (Win 10 Chromecast v2 both updated,) both drop off chrome cast after anywhere between 10-30 min. I have never had this problem before. Just wanted to chime in. Also, regarding Windows 10 nic drivers. No. My cards run fine and I install exactly the drivers I need for my PCs weather it's win or linux. I don't rely on auto-updates for my drivers. But if that is true, I would love a link to some documentation regarding exactly what chipsets are effected. So thats not the issue, with me at least. I suspect chromecast has recently updated, and possibly VLC has not yet adapted to whatever Google has recently changed. I just wanted to add a comment in hopes that it may help confirm with development.

hjkaye@gmail.com
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby hjkaye@gmail.com » 20 Jun 2019 05:52

Help?
There's a bug on Windows OS with multiple network cards
My computer has ethernet and wifi no different from when it worked before. All network adapters are disabled except for the wifi. My other computer has the same network adapters, VLC Casting to chromecast works fine.

peterporker
New Cone
New Cone

Postby peterporker » 21 Jul 2019 02:26

Hi all, had a version of VLC that worked fine with both my Chromecast devices, the original and the 2nd generation. I generally of late use the Android version 3.1.4 which still works fine, so don't use windows version much.

At some point in recent history, the Windows version stopped working. I am guessing it stopped working when I upgraded recently.

On Windows 10 1809 build 17763.475, VLC versions 3.0.6, & dailys 3.0.7 and 4.0.0 same symptoms. I can choose either Chromecast device from the playback/renderer menu, and the same behavior occurs. After pressing play, the title bar briefly displays the name of the title, then reverts back to "VLC media player". Nothing whatsoever is show on the TV, it just keeps showing the photos in Ambient.

Playing locally, no issue. I tried MP4, MP3, AVI files, same behaviour. I did not try to revert to an earlier version.

Here is the debug message stream: https://pastebin.com/s22dUL6b

Help?
Had the same issue.

Go to your firewall settings>>> Internet Connections For Programs>>> VLC>>> incoming and outgoing>>>
now set to >>> open to all devices

you should be good to go

hjkaye@gmail.com
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby hjkaye@gmail.com » 18 Sep 2019 03:07

Go to your firewall settings>>> Internet Connections For Programs>>> VLC>>> incoming and outgoing>>>
now set to >>> open to all devices
Thanks but I don't see that setting anywhere. This is Windows 10 1903

Is it on settings or control panel?

hjkaye@gmail.com
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby hjkaye@gmail.com » 29 Oct 2019 21:43

Hi, just updated to windows 1903 build, same issue... any progress on this... ?

Been a very quiet thread. Again, nearly same computers, same network, nearly identical configuration, no issues streaming to either chromecast. For some reason, this laptop, of course the one I use most often, will not cast. Worked successfully for ages before it stopped.

unidan
Developer
Developer

Postby unidan » 30 Oct 2019 11:20

Hi
Hi, just updated to windows 1903 build, same issue... any progress on this... ?

Been a very quiet thread. Again, nearly same computers, same network, nearly identical configuration, no issues streaming to either chromecast. For some reason, this laptop, of course the one I use most often, will not cast. Worked successfully for ages before it stopped.
There is not much progress to make as we have basically no elements which would indicate that it is not an issue with your network settings. :/
You'll need to provide more details on your network configuration so that we can help you.

hjkaye@gmail.com
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby hjkaye@gmail.com » 01 Nov 2019 04:42

You'll need to provide more details on your network configuration so that we can help you.
There are three Windows devices in this configuration, a Dell Inspiron 5759 Laptop, A Dell A-I-O desktop, and Acer Aspire A5 Laptop. All Windows 10 Home -1903 64bit release. Primary network connection noted below, all tested on both wifi and wired.

• Dell A-I-O wired Gigabit ethernet ==== VLC casting works (both on wifi and wired)
  • Inspiron Wifi 5Ghz 802.11AC ==== VLC Casting does not work (both on wifi and wired)
  • Acer A5 Wifi 2.4Ghz 802.11N ==== VLC casting Works (Both on wifi and wired)
The Inspiron is running a nightly 3.0.9 version{vlc-3.0.9-20191030-0510-win64}, the others the most current public release. All drivers are up-to-date as much as possible (network for sure)

All three devices, casting from other apps, such as Youtube and Netflix works fine. At one point, all three computers cast fine to both Chromecast devices.

Also, a Samsung Android Tablet Galaxy Tab A, (SM-P580) Android 8.1.0 ==== VLC casting works. (wifi 5Ghz, unknown protocol)

Router: Asus RT-AC68U Dual-band Wireless-AC1900 Gigabit Router
Internet: Cable 100Mbps

• Chromecast1 is Wifi 5Ghz (unsure of the protocol) Firmware 1.42.172094
  • Chromecast2 is Wifi 2.4Ghz (unsure of the protocol) Firmware 1.36.159268
Network speed:
  • Inspiron & Acer wifi tests approximately 90Mbps down, 12Mbps up
  • Dell A-I-O wired tests approximately 25Mbps down, 8Mbps up
  • Samsung Tablet wifi tests approximately 93Mbps down, 11Mbps up
Export of Firewall Rule on the problem computer:
Local Address Remote Address Protocol Local Port Remote Port Authorized Computers Authorized Local Principals Local User Owner Application Package
VLC Domain, Private Yes Allow No %ProgramFiles%\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe Any Any Any Any Any Any Any Any Any

There are other Windows computers in the network I could test on, but this is what's up and running at the moment. Let me know if you need any more information.

dael
New Cone
New Cone

Postby dael » 03 Nov 2019 05:15

Yes, mine lasts about ten minutes streaming audio only from several venues then quits. Is there a "keep alive beacon" involved here with the server? I'm going to dload it and see if it does same.

dael
New Cone
New Cone

Postby dael » 03 Nov 2019 06:11

downloaded = no problems from computer

R2D2
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 3.0.7.1
Operating System: Windows 7

Postby R2D2 » 04 Nov 2019 10:06

Yes, mine lasts about ten minutes streaming audio only from several venues then quits.
[...] downloaded = no problems from computer
Let me add some issues with chromecast devices:

Streaming [Radio] with VLC and rendering audio both to chromecast audio or do chromecast TV (2nd Generation) is not possible. :(
Streaming local *.mp3 files [Chromecast Audio; Chromecast TV] is working fine. :)

In streaming Videos (Youtube or TV) to chromecast TV there is no audio problem. :roll:

hjkaye@gmail.com
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby hjkaye@gmail.com » 11 Nov 2019 06:51

Just tried an application Airflow. Casting from the problem PC (Inspiron Wifi 5Ghz 802.11A) works fine from Airflow.

VLC still buggered.

Just tried on this daily version: vlc-3.0.9-20191110-0510-win64.exe still no luck

hjkaye@gmail.com
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby hjkaye@gmail.com » 09 Dec 2019 01:11

any update...? Did I miss any information needed?

fishfry
New Cone
New Cone

Postby fishfry » 13 Dec 2019 05:35

I am having the same problems with VLC and casting thru chromecast! Was working fine about 2 months ago! Must be something in either the software update of the VLC media player or the Casting part of chromecast! I have the lastest firmware version of chromecast and the latest version of VLC media player also. When casting the icecast radio station onto my samsung smart tv i get no audio only the ambient or splash screen of the radio station is on my tv and shows a reloading or trying to connect symbol and then nothing. I hope in one of the updates whether it be thru chromecast or VlC player that this situation is rectified. Really like playing the VLC icecast radio stations on my tv.

hjkaye@gmail.com
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby hjkaye@gmail.com » 11 Apr 2020 00:00

Been downloading the nightlies for several months now. Still not working, same behaviour. Is there any way to get this some attention?

Hitchhiker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.17.4
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Postby Hitchhiker » 11 Apr 2020 20:06

Been downloading the nightlies for several months now. Still not working, same behaviour. Is there any way to get this some attention?

I understand you were running Chromecast before upgrading to Windows 10, but perhaps you could read through the following tutorial to compare with what you did to see if the two match: https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/stream-videos-vlc-chromecast/

Maybe you missed a step such as accepting the security certificate even though it's invalid or something similar.

hjkaye@gmail.com
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby hjkaye@gmail.com » 13 Apr 2020 22:10

Thanks for your reply:

Well it's certainly possible I missed a step. I have done a complete uninstall/reinstall of VLC more than once. After that, it usually prompts for firewall changes, I don't recall seeing a certificate warning, but I could be mistaken. Is there any way to get the certificate message back? I have two CC's one older version, one newer, the failure happens on both(details in the thread above). There are three other computers in this network, they all cast with no issue.

It was working fine on this Windows 10 laptop for a very long time. I tended to use the Android version more frequently once it was available, just because it was more convenient for me, not for any operational or performance issue.

One day I was using my laptop and wanted to cast to my CC, and the symptoms occurred. The renderer menu shows both CC's if they are powered up. Selecting either one works fine. Clicking play shows the video file name on the title bar for a brief second or two, then goes blank and nothing at all shows on the CC. It was difficult to determine when it stopped working because I used it so infrequently.

I've updated firewall rules, turned off the firewall, rebooted everything. I tried another application "airflow" and the cast feature works fine on the same laptop, I believe this eliminates any network or laptop configuration issues. I am wondering if there is a "complete an total uninstall every tiny little bit of vlc" cleanup utility available? Currently running 3.0.9 [vlc-3.0.9-20200311-0516-win64]

Again thanks for the guidance.

hjkaye@gmail.com
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby hjkaye@gmail.com » 10 Jun 2020 05:10

Is there any way to get any movement on this? I have a network with three computers, they all cast except the primary machine. Used to work fine before an update, hard to pin it down.

Just recently I cracked my old laptop from storage to use it for a special project. The installed version was pre-chromecast so updated it to 3.0.10 Ventinari

Casting works beautifully on this old machine. Now have three computers that cast fine, but the newest laptop exhibits the same symptom. Both chromecast devices show on the renderer menu, on either one, if I click PLAY, the video title briefly shows on the title bar, then reverts back to VLC Media player. No activity at all on either TV.

I have tried nightly builds for the past few months, no improvement. Local rendering works. Disabling firewall has no effect. The fact that three other computers can cast belies any network issues. I have uninstalled VLC on several occasions, tried nightly of v4 tonight, can't even get the renderer menu to display, so I gave up and reinstalled vlc-3.0.10-win64-dade7373 which behaves the same, chromecast devices show on the render menu, but fail to play, same exact problem.

HOW to get this fixed? Hardware & network specs posted in a previous reply. HELP?

vlasenkoalexey
New Cone
New Cone

Postby vlasenkoalexey » 25 Jun 2020 08:12

I had a similar issue, casting worked from PC connected via Ethernet cable, but didn't work from laptop connected from WiFi on the same router. I think I tried to turn off firewall, but it didn't help. At the same time casting from browser/youtube worked fine from the laptop.
But when I switched WiFi connection type from Public to Private casting started working.

hjkaye@gmail.com
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby hjkaye@gmail.com » 28 Sep 2020 05:55

Any chance to get any further with this? I posted everything that was asked for... still nothing, installed the latest daily after uninstalling the previous one.. Exactly the same behaviour

HELP?

Hitchhiker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.17.4
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Postby Hitchhiker » 28 Sep 2020 14:53

Google has withdrawn support for Chromecast on computers. See: https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/7022492

Switch to Miracast instead.

hjkaye@gmail.com
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby hjkaye@gmail.com » 02 Oct 2020 02:02

>> Google has withdrawn support for Chromecast on computers.
Not exactly true.. they withdrew support for setup from computers..

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”