VLC and Intel Quick Sync Video (QSV) Decoding

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
metaldave
New Cone
New Cone

VLC and Intel Quick Sync Video (QSV) Decoding

Postby metaldave » 12 Sep 2019 20:16

Hi, there.

I'm running VLC v3.0.8 on Windows 10 with an Intel Quick Sync Video (QSV) enabled processor (Intel Core i7-8550U). As there is no discrete setting for QSV decoding in VLC, I wanted to know if there was a way to verify that VLC is using QSV hardware acceleration to decode for playback of HEVC video files.

There isn't anything specific under the Input & Codecs tab of the settings. The "Hardware-accelerated decoding" pull-down menu offers "Automatic," "Direct3D11 Video Acceleration," "DirectX Video Acceleration (DVXA) 2.0," and "Disable" as the only options. I'd like to assume that DirectX is taking care of it on the OS level, but, again, I'd like to confirm. VLC takes a moment to buffer when starting playback of files (video frame freezes for a few seconds while audio continues), so I want to verify how the decoding is being performed.

Thanks in advance!

- Dave

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Re: VLC and Intel Quick Sync Video (QSV) Decoding

Postby Lotesdelere » 13 Sep 2019 10:04

AFAIK VLC can encode using QSV, but nothing about decoding, yet.

Decoding combinations that should work:
https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?p=487467#p487467

metaldave
New Cone
New Cone

Postby metaldave » 16 Sep 2019 15:43

Thanks for the reply. It looks like the post you referenced reiterated what I'd already assessed: DirectX (Direct3D, etc.) are the only selectable options for decoding in hardware. OpenGL doesn't appear in my list of options, but I am guessing this is either a) outmoded or obsolete, or b) just not showing up as I've not installed an OpenGL software solution.

Maybe this is more of a question of whether DirectX uses QSV? If that's the method of implementation selected by VideoLAN to get to QSV decoding (kind-of passing the buck to the OS), then we'd just need to confirm if DirectX is doing the job. Thoughts?

unidan
Developer
Developer

Postby unidan » 16 Sep 2019 18:08

Hi,
Maybe this is more of a question of whether DirectX uses QSV? If that's the method of implementation selected by VideoLAN to get to QSV decoding (kind-of passing the buck to the OS), then we'd just need to confirm if DirectX is doing the job. Thoughts?
Intel should expose a direct3d decoder; but you can check the log to see which driver is used.
Thanks for the reply. It looks like the post you referenced reiterated what I'd already assessed: DirectX (Direct3D, etc.) are the only selectable options for decoding in hardware. OpenGL doesn't appear in my list of options, but I am guessing this is either a) outmoded or obsolete, or b) just not showing up as I've not installed an OpenGL software solution.
OpenGL isn't a decoder API at all, it's not even taking care of most resource allocation. It's only about rendering.

metaldave
New Cone
New Cone

Postby metaldave » 18 Aug 2020 20:47

Intel should expose a direct3d decoder; but you can check the log to see which driver is used.
Per the VLC 3.0 release page, "VLC 3.0 activates hardware decoding by default, to get 4K and 8K playback!" I'm guessing we've been cared for. Looking in the preferences on the macOS release, it looks like it's now, simply, a Check Box to enable or disable.
OpenGL isn't a decoder API at all, it's not even taking care of most resource allocation. It's only about rendering.
Thank makes sense; I'd always thought OpenGL was an alternative to DirectX for all access types to the GPU (not just rendering). Thanks for the correction.

shaodan1997
New Cone
New Cone
VLC version: 3.0.11
Operating System: Windows 10

Postby shaodan1997 » 19 Aug 2020 05:41

On Windows10, an intuitive way to verify if hardware acceleration is being used is using Task Manager.

Switch to GPU interface in "Performance" tab, then select "Video Decode"(the default is 3D). Graphics will appear if hardware acceleration is being used.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”