Merge video clips not working

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
DurrantBun
New Cone
New Cone

Merge video clips not working

Postby DurrantBun » 17 Dec 2018 12:24

I have found several results on Google regarding how to combine multiple clips into one, but for some reason I can't seem to be able to set a destination for my merged file.

Following instructions, I went to Media menu and selected Open multiple Files, selected the files I want and then clicked on the Play button and chose Convert. Now, all the instructions say that at this point I should set a destination for the new file, but all I have is a box that says Destination File, no option to browse or anything and it won't even let me type in that box, it just says Multiple Files selected and won't let me type over.

Any ideas please?

dpineda6694
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Merge video clips not working

Postby dpineda6694 » 15 Jan 2019 19:37

I have the same problem. Anyone have a solution?

WaveMechanic
New Cone
New Cone

Postby WaveMechanic » 13 Feb 2019 05:15

The new functionality permits easy batch-conversions: choosing multiple files results in them being converted into new versions with identical paths/filenames but updated extensions (the "Multiple Files Selected" dialog is ineditable, as DurrantBun reports). But this breaks the process of merging files using the GUI, leaving the command line syntax as the only hope.

I had no luck with any of the v.3.x vlc.exe releases doing that. But after downloading the zip file version of the old v. 2.2.8 from the windows subdirectory of VideoLAN's FTP server and unzipping it to a local directory, I've had limited success using it in Win7 Ultimate employing the command line syntax:

(path)vlc.exe file1.mp4 file2.mp4 --sout "#gather:std{access=file,dst=mergedfiles.mp4}" --sout-keep

which I got from googling "VLC merge." In this syntax "(path)" points to the location of the local directory where vlc.exe was unzipped from the downloaded zip file, "file1.mp4" etc. are the filenames to be merged, and "mergedfiles.mp4" is the expected output filename. File types were the same for input files and merged output.

I say limited success because vlc.exe continued to run for a long time (minutes) after it stopped displaying progress and the output file was not finalized until vlc. exe stopped, and even then the output had the correct length but failed to display the last of three input files. Iffy results at best! YMMV...

lewstar
New Cone
New Cone

Postby lewstar » 18 Mar 2019 09:43

I am using the latest version of VLC (3.0.6) and am having exactly the same problem as described in the first post above - the Convert button leads to a screen which offers only multiple file output and I cannot change that. I do not want to use command line functions as I need to need to several hundred batches of flac files, each merge involving up to 20 flac files each with different names.
I did google this problem a couple of months ago and I think I got around it successfully in some way - but I'm not completely certain I did this with VLC (it's just possible I used Audacity) and in any case I can't remember how I did it now.
This is surely a bug in VLC (or possibly some setting which I'm not aware of), and I wondered whether anyone else has found a solution not using a command line function or has tried to contact the development team directly about it.

silvanet
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby silvanet » 30 Mar 2019 22:29

It would be nice to get an answer to this. I've been researching and trying everything with zero success.
I'm using Windows 10 Pro and latest version of VLC.
I'm not opening network streams. I'm opening actual local files.
They're both same format & I'm trying to merge them to that same format.
I add the files, then click to convert and I get dialog asking if I want to keep existing files or overwrite them.
Either choice results in same error.
VLC freezes up and tells me it is not able to open the MRL.
There is no MRL. It is as simple a local drive location as I can make it.
I've named the files also as simple as I can - 1.mp4 and 2.mp4.
I've tried setting destination folders but can't do that either.

Both files open and play individually without any problem.

OK, the best explanation I've found is here: https://wiki.videolan.org/VLC_HowTo/Mer ... _together/

There are YouTube videos and websites that either give incomplete useless information or leave out crucial information.

aitte
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby aitte » 06 Aug 2019 05:16

I'm using 3.0.7.1 for Windows, same issue as described in earlier comments. Moreover, the command line option to merge videos also does not work.

If the feature can't be fixed, can the feature be removed? So as to not mislead users.

Ed Edison
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Ed Edison » 06 Aug 2019 20:33

Hello,

Gather works fine with Windows 10, last release, and VLC 3.0.6; example with and without audio:

vlc.exe --no-repeat --no-loop -I rc -vv --no-lua "G:\Try\AzukitaMarconi-1920x1080-Cp-End.png" --image-chroma=I420 --image-duration=2 --image-fps=30 --image-realtime --swscale-mode=1 :sout=#transcode{vcodec=h264,scodec=none}:file{mux=mp4,dst="G:\Try\AzukitaMarconi-1920x1080-Cp-End1.mp4"}

vlc.exe --no-repeat --no-loop -I rc -vv --no-lua "G:\Try\Black-1920x1080.png" --image-chroma=I420 --image-duration=2 --image-fps=30 --image-realtime --swscale-mode=1 :sout=#transcode{vcodec=h264,scodec=none}:file{mux=mp4,dst="G:\Try\AzukitaMarconi-1920x1080-Cp-End2.mp4"}

vlc.exe --no-repeat --no-loop -I rc -vv --no-lua "G:\Try\AzukitaMarconi-1920x1080-Cp-End1.mp4" "G:\Try\AzukitaMarconi-1920x1080-Cp-End2.mp4" vlc://quit --sout=#gather:file{mux=mp4,dst="G:\Try\AzukitaMarconi-1920x1080-Cp-End0.mp4"} --sout-keep

vlc.exe --no-repeat --no-loop -I rc -vv --no-lua "G:\Try\AzukitaMarconi-1920x1080-Cp-End0.mp4" --input-slave="G:\Try\Azukita-ClipUltraMusic-DownloaderHDCut-1920x1080-Audio.mp4" --sout=file/mp4:"G:\Try\AzukitaMarconi-1920x1080-Cp-End.mp4"

vlc.exe --no-repeat --no-loop -I rc -vv --no-lua "G:\Try\DuraMarconiIntro.mp4" "G:\Try\AzukitaMarconi-1920x1080-Cp.mp4" "G:\Try\AzukitaMarconi-1920x1080-Cp-End.mp4" "G:\Try\AzukitaMarconi-1920x1080-Cp.mp4" vlc://quit --sout=#gather:file{mux=mp4,dst="G:\Try\NULL.mp4"} --sout-keep

vlc.exe --no-repeat --no-loop -I rc -vv --no-lua "G:\Try\NULL.mp4" --stop-time=161.2 --sout=file/mp4:"G:\Try\Azukita-MeliMarconi-DownloaderHD-1920x1080-New.mp4"

If problem, see the Log file.

Good luck.

k_dueholm
New Cone
New Cone

Postby k_dueholm » 14 Aug 2019 23:21

Hi guys.

I'm quite new to scripting VLC - so sorry if I ask stupid questions, ok? :)

Okay - I'm trying to merge two mp4 videos into one mp4 video.

I'm using Window 10 - and the latest VLC Player.
I run cmd.exe as administrator - just to be sure.
I use the command:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" --no-repeat --no-loop -I rc -vv --no-lua "01.mp4" "02.mp4" vlc://quit --sout "#gather:file{mux=mp4,dst=merged.mp4}" --sout-keep

This does give me a nice little "merged.mp4" video.
BUT - when I play merged.mp4, it shows the first video (01.mp4) - then the video keeps playing but stays with the last frame of 01.mp4 and only the audio from 02.mp4 plays…

What am I missing here?

Thanks for your assistance.

BR,
Kasper

Ed Edison
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Ed Edison » 15 Aug 2019 12:00

Hello,

No stupid question!

First, I use VLC 3.0.6 (3.0.7.x is a regression for my activity) and cmd.exe with basic rights; is this the problem? I don't believe but...

Next, gather is a tool for merging videos with IDENTICAL main technical characteristics: muxer, codec, resolution, color management,... (https://wiki.videolan.org/Documentation:Modules/gather/); with your explanations, them problem seems to be here.

To deal with this difficulty, my method is:
- use the command line to merge each video file with himself; if the result is good, the problem is a technical incompatibiliy between the videos for gather; if the result is bad, one or both videos have a problem;
- examine the Log file (warnings, choices of VLC for the various ANY).

When a technical incompatibility is identified, you must use a transcode before gather.

Good luck.

Ed.

tam2390
New Cone
New Cone

Postby tam2390 » 21 Apr 2020 00:37

My latest VLC version: 3.0.8 Vetinari.
After openning multiple files and adding 2 MP4 files to merge, from "Source", I got message "Multiple files selected.", from "Destination", I also got message "Multiple files selected."
After clicking "Start", I got a converted file. Its size is 1 kb, not able to play.
Did I miss something?

Roger Price
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Roger Price » 22 Apr 2020 18:14

The same problem with version 3.0.8. I cannot select an output file name when merging. 'Destination file:' reads "Multiple Files Selected." and this cannot be overwritten. If I press 'Start' each file is individually converted but not merged.

davidrmoran
New Cone
New Cone

Postby davidrmoran » 25 Jul 2020 04:33

merge failure is still inoperative, totally, as of end july 2020; does just the first one, even w multiple loaded properly

gonna go attempt yet again via command line, then ask a friend w real software to do it

9 simple 3-4min home movies into one file, all mp4

PierreSundberg
New Cone
New Cone

Postby PierreSundberg » 12 Sep 2020 16:46

This is still an issue. I'm using version 3.0.11 on Windows 10. I searched the tickets and found this one: https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/25047

Greg_Salyer_13
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Greg_Salyer_13 » 30 Dec 2023 16:34

Same issue!

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”