How to make it act like windows media player 6.4

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
usera
New Cone
New Cone

How to make it act like windows media player 6.4

Postby usera » 18 Jan 2006 01:32

I've tried searching but not getting the right search but I really like the windows media 6.4 interface where in full screen it can autohide a mini player controls.

Is there anyway to make it act like windows media player 6.4?

Thanks for any info.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Re: How to make it act like windows media player 6.4

Postby DJ » 18 Jan 2006 03:26

I've tried searching but not getting the right search but I really like the windows media 6.4 interface where in full screen it can autohide a mini player controls.

Is there anyway to make it act like windows media player 6.4?

Thanks for any info.
Press "i" on the keyboard or in Preferences, Control interface check the box marked "interface showing control interface" and save. When you move the cursor to the top of the screen the controls will pop up. Clicking anywhere on the screen will make it disappear.

Rekrul
New Cone
New Cone

Re: How to make it act like windows media player 6.4

Postby Rekrul » 23 Jan 2006 07:53

Press "i" on the keyboard or in Preferences, Control interface check the box marked "interface showing control interface" and save. When you move the cursor to the top of the screen the controls will pop up. Clicking anywhere on the screen will make it disappear.
Wrong. Checking that box in the prefs does absolutely nothing when you move the mouse to the top of the screen in fullscreen mode. Pressing 'I' doesn't just show controls, it shows a full VLC window, except that the video area is grey. It covers 25-40% of the screen. It can be resized, but that's a lot of trouble to go through just to access the controls.

erbsen
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby erbsen » 23 Jan 2006 08:52

Pressing 'I' doesn't just show controls, it shows a full VLC window, except that the video area is grey.
That's because the video is embeded in the interface.
If you disable it, you get a tiny window.
Settings - Preferences - Interface - General - wxWidgets - uncheck "Embed video in interface".
Save and restart VLC.

erbsen
Spying? Torture? Illegal airstrikes? Dyncorp, Halliburton - **Stay polite ** Slaves? SHUT UP and hate Bin Laden.

Rekrul
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Rekrul » 24 Jan 2006 11:39

Settings - Preferences - Interface - General - wxWidgets - uncheck "Embed video in interface".
Save and restart VLC.

erbsen
That doesn't work either. Or rather unchecking the Embed video option doesn't work. No matter what I do, it re-enables itself immediately.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 24 Jan 2006 19:46

Save and restart VLC.

erbsen
That doesn't work either. Or rather unchecking the Embed video option doesn't work. No matter what I do, it re-enables itself immediately.
Call VLC directly or create a shortcut without options.

Rekrul
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Rekrul » 25 Jan 2006 02:14

Call VLC directly or create a shortcut without options.
Ok, the Embed option stays unchecked, but pressing 'I' during fullscreen playback still opens a large VLC window complete with blank video display area which covers a large portion of the screen.

Oh, and VLC won't play several of my videos this way. Opening some of them causes VLC to spawn an output window which just stays grey. No video, no audio and I have to use the task manager to kill off the extra window.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 25 Jan 2006 03:47

I'm not exactly sure what your problem is! But it appears you have at least a couple of them.

1. Pressing "I" during full screen playback will do absolutely nothing. However, pressing "i" during full screen playback will bring up a control interface.

2. Using the embedded or non embedded interface does not effect the control interface. I just responded when you said you couldn't shut it off.

3. If you have check the box marked "interface showing control interface" and saved your preferences. When you move the cursor to the top of the screen the controls will pop up. Clicking anywhere on the screen will make it disappear. You may need to shutdown and restart VLC, but this has worked for about 3 or 4 people in the last few weeks.

4. As for your large screen that pops up. It should be transparent and not gray, black, pink or purple and I have never had any one say it crashed using some (unknown) file type. So I would suggest you reset your preferences and try again.

If you continue to have problems after trying these things. I may be able to help you further.

Rekrul
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Rekrul » 30 Jan 2006 14:23

1. Pressing "I" during full screen playback will do absolutely nothing. However, pressing "i" during full screen playback will bring up a control interface.
Yes, that works. I have a habit of using capital letters in examples, even if the hotkey is lowercase. I used to use the exact key required, but I found that confused people. I'd tell them to press 'a' and they'd look at the keyboard, see 'A' on the keycap and get confused. Sounds stupid I know, but it happens.

Using 'i', the interface does pop up. However #4 still applies...
2. Using the embedded or non embedded interface does not effect the control interface. I just responded when you said you couldn't shut it off.
I was only trying because erbsen said it would make the interface window smaller. However unchecking that option causes VLC to be even more unreliable than it already is. No wonder the default configuration won't let you uncheck it.
3. If you have check the box marked "interface showing control interface" and saved your preferences. When you move the cursor to the top of the screen the controls will pop up. Clicking anywhere on the screen will make it disappear. You may need to shutdown and restart VLC, but this has worked for about 3 or 4 people in the last few weeks.
I did shut down and restart VLC, but the interface never appeared for me. I just tried it again after resetting the prefs and now it works. But...
4. As for your large screen that pops up. It should be transparent and not gray, black, pink or purple and I have never had any one say it crashed using some (unknown) file type. So I would suggest you reset your preferences and try again.
Nope, it's a big, grey, opaque window.

I suspect that this is because I'm using Windows 98 which doesn't natively support transparent windows. In any case, when VLC is already in fullscreen mode, there's no reason for the control interface to be that large. It looks as if it is opening a copy of VLC sized to contain the original video. The larger the video resolution, the larger the control interface window.

As for it crashing with some files; That was mostly with the embed option unchecked. However, VLC pretty much crashes at the drop of a hat. Check the wrong option in the prefs and it crashes. Select the wrong options while playing a file and it crashes. Select the wrong prefs settings before playing a file and it crashes.

It's still an extremely unstable and unreliable program, at least under Windows.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 30 Jan 2006 23:01

Press "i" on your keyboard.

or to use the interface module:

Right click on the player and select Miscellaneous, Preferences, Interface, Control interfaces and tick the box marked "Interface showing control interface", then save and close the player. When in full screen move the cursor to the top of the screen and the player controls will pop up. To hide the controls click anywhere on the screen.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”