Since VLC 2.1.0 - Issue with Option "embedded video off"

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Dave-C
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
Operating System: Windows XP & 7

Since VLC 2.1.0 - Issue with Option "embedded video off"

Postby Dave-C » 10 Feb 2018 23:16

Still beeing stuck at VLC 2.0.8 (Windows 7 64 Bit).

Using VLC with the option "embedded video off" on my PC, with a permanent fixed window in the top right of my desktop, while working or doing other stuff on the PC.
Everytime I start a File/Stream it starts Top right.
https://picload.org/view/dagcgwrw/image0001.jpg.html

options set for a permanent video top right: (Resolution 1680x1050, 16:10)
embedded video off
video width = 600
video height = 379
video x coordinate =1070
video y coordinate = -30
source aspect ratio = 16:10

Unfortunely since VLC 2.09/2.1.0 something changed/got broken, so I can no longer use VLC like with Version 2.0.8.
As soon as I install VLC 2.1.0 or every Version newer (VLC 3.0 too) it looks like this.
https://picload.org/view/dagcgwdr/image0002.jpg.html
Changing the size in "video width" & "video height" no longer has an effect.
The Video Window can't be resized through the options anymore.
Setting the option "embedded video" On, "video width" & "video height" is working again and I can resize the window again.
Tried a clean install of VLC, issue remains with all versions above 2.0.8.
Reproduceable on other Machines too.

Also with turning off "embedded video" since 2.1.0, in the Video Window (see screen) the close button doesn't work anymore, this used to work in 2.0.8 and before.
https://picload.org/view/dagcrdwl/image0003.jpg.html

Would be nice to get this fixed in the future, so I can finally upgrade VLC again (this function is essential to me).

Drexl
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Since VLC 2.1.0 - Issue with Option "embedded video off"

Postby Drexl » 01 May 2020 21:36

I'm having the same issues.
I've also noticed that when embedded video is off and Video Auto Scaling is on all window properties are ignored. For example video width and height are not respected. The video window is sized to match the video's size even though auto-scaling is supposed to work the other way around.

Video Auto Scaling toolip says "Let the video scale to fit a given window". This works when embedded, but when the video window is not embedded and set to a specific size in window properties this size is not respected.

Drexl
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Since VLC 2.1.0 - Issue with Option "embedded video off"

Postby Drexl » 01 May 2020 22:12

vlc-4.0.0-20200403-0837-dev-win64 seems to have fixed a lot of these issues. It also seems to be ignoring the embedded video setting entirely at the moment and just plays like it's off at all times, which is fine for my current use-case. It would be nice if whatever fixed this would be back-ported to the much more stable VLC 3.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”