Solution for lurching/choppy DVD playback. You won't like it.

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Keatah
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Solution for lurching/choppy DVD playback. You won't like it.

Postby Keatah » 27 Apr 2020 12:32

The solution to the lurching/choppy/stuttering DVD playback is to donwgrade to v1.0.5. But that's not really practical considering the age of the software and lack of refinement compared to today; some 10 years out of date. BUT IT WORKS.

There seems to have been some change between v1.0.5 and v1.1.0 that introduced the problem. Not a developer so I can't get too technical on the issue. But perhaps changes between the versions can be check and compared.

---

https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=145380&p=477364&hilit=dvd+smooth#p477364
https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=144946&p=502923#p502923

Original problem I'm having and crosspost:
I'm having this subtle stuttering issue also. Tried it on a vintage XP rig all the way to my i7-8700 win10. Other players like Windows Classic Media Player or KODI are buttery smooth on the same hardware.

This is noticeable on panning scenes or where the camera is floating around as in documenting something or giving you an overview of the scene and sets. It hesitates for just an instant, then plays smooth, then repeats. Again this stuttery playback is not present on other players. I'd guess 200ms is the length of the pause, maybe less. Then it's fine uber-smooth for 500ms or so. More or less like a trip-up for want of better terminology.

I suppose the best videos to observe this are camera pans on StarTrek bridge shots. Or a simple scene with a car. Or a flying aerial shot of something. Facial shots or character dialog or high-speed stop-action fighting shots hide this artifact.

I tried this with an ISO "rip" of the DVD and the original disc. Zero difference.

Problem isn't happening because of lack of system power. And I've also played with quite a few of the options and no difference no matter what. No doubt there is an issue. If you can't see it I suggest a side-by-side comparison against MPC-BE or KODI or a real DVD player.

An amateur guess would be something is wrong with frame syncing from the DVD to a computer monitor. Different refresh rates or something. I believe the issue is the source DVD frame rate vs. the PC's monitor refresh rate is the issue here. VLC should, in this day and age, be able to handle this. And have options to tweak this as needed if not done automatically like other players.

I can certainly supply logs and other info but I'm not sure what else they'll reveal compared to what's been periodically posted by others with this problem.

I would prefer to keep using VLC for numerous reasons including familiarity from 10 years ago and whatnot.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”