Infinite Loop When Converting File

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Steven Cooper
New Cone
New Cone

Infinite Loop When Converting File

Postby Steven Cooper » 14 Nov 2019 16:10

I am using Windows 10 Pro, VLC 3.0.8 Vetinari.
The problem I am running into has existed in previous versions of VLC as well as this latest version.
I select 'Media' - 'Convert/Save' - 'File' tab; I add an AVI file to convert; I click on the little arrow next to the 'Convert/Save' button and select 'Convert'; I select the profile 'Audio - MP3'; under 'Destination' I browse to a different folder to save the file as an MP3; I click on 'Start'; the conversion proceeds, the output file is created and written; then I get the message box "The output file already exists. If recording continues, the file will be overridden and its contents will be lost."
At this point, it doesn't matter if I click on 'Overwrite' or 'Keep existing file', the message box keeps coming back, infinitely. The only way out is to start up Task Manager, and force Windows to end the task.
The output file is correct and it works, but VLC gets stuck in a loop complaining about and existing file. Please fix. :(

richb-hanover
New Cone
New Cone

SOLVED: Infinite Loop When Converting File

Postby richb-hanover » 15 Nov 2019 14:41

Thanks for the clear description of the problem. I am seeing the same thing with VLC 3.08 on a Mac. This is widely reported in other posts, BUT none of the posts give explicit descriptions of what's happening, or what to do. Here is what I learned:
  • The problem is that VLC seems to default to Loop Mode when converting files.
  • The Loop buttons are hidden (again by default) on macOS. Choose View -> Show Shuffle&Repeat Buttons makes them appear at the bottom of the window. It will look like this: https://imgur.com/a/hUTLbAZ
  • Clicking the loop icon causes it to go through several states.
    • a black loop
    • a blue loop
    • a blue loop with a "1" (I think)
The solution seems to be to select the black loop (which I guess means don't loop)

Conjecture: You can also get to the no-loop state from the menu by choosing Playback -> Repeat One and Playback - Repeat All until neither of those choices have a checkmark. (At least, this works on a Mac. I don't have access to a Win10 box right now, so feel free to update this thread with Windows information.)

unidan
Developer
Developer

Re: Infinite Loop When Converting File

Postby unidan » 15 Nov 2019 18:04

Hi, this is the issue yes. We hope to fix this UX behaviour in 4.0. :)

Steven Cooper
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Infinite Loop When Converting File

Postby Steven Cooper » 16 Nov 2019 00:56

I found the Loop button in the bottom tool bar; it was set to "Loop Always"; I clicked on it till it was complete gray "No Looping". I then tried converting a file again as described in my post and it worked just fine. Apparrently VLC does not differentiate between playing a file and converting a file. Thank you rich-hanover for your notes about the Mac version.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”