VLC steals cursor when playing next video

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
shmoopy
New Cone
New Cone

VLC steals cursor when playing next video

Postby shmoopy » 10 Jul 2019 22:17

I work at home using photoshop. Occasionally I'll have a playlist of videos playing on another monitor. There's a really annoying problem though.

Every time the next video starts, the cursor focus is taken away from the other monitor where I'm working in PS. This means (in photoshop) I could be using the lasso tool and if the next video plays the lasso selection is unfinished and creates a closed loop which is unintended and I have to start my lasso selection from scratch. This means I have to be conscious of making sure the video isn't going to end while I'm making selections. Frequently I watch tutorials which can be from 3-15 minutes so this is a constant issue.

Another example would be keyboard shortcuts. I could think I'm commanding PS to do something with a keyboard shortcut but nothing happens because it isn't in focus anymore. I have bring photoshop back into focus even though it already was in focus before vlc interrupted it.

current version is 3.0.7.1 Vetinari // Windows 10 Pro 1809 17763.557
though this has been going on for awhile so I don't think any versions have to do with it nor think it's a bug.

BC556C
New Cone
New Cone

Re: VLC steals cursor when playing next video

Postby BC556C » 13 Jul 2019 23:14

There is a setting under Tools >> Preferences >> Interface you can try to change.

Try to set "Auto raising the Interface" to Never. It seems to have solved the problem with stolen focus for me.

dgrrr
New Cone
New Cone

Re: VLC steals cursor when playing next video

Postby dgrrr » 20 Oct 2019 21:13

I WANT the focus to be stolen, but AutoRaising aint working for me... Are you sure it changes OS focus?

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”