auto scanning / parsing of newly added folder in media library doesn't happen anymore

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
gazzawazza
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

auto scanning / parsing of newly added folder in media library doesn't happen anymore

Postby gazzawazza » 23 Aug 2019 03:02

Hi all

Just moved to vlc 3.0.8 (due to the recent security fixes).

Was previously using 2.2.8 successfully on win 7 64bit

It used to be that if i added a new folder to the media library, VLC would parse / scan the folder straight away i.e. I'd be able to search for individual tracks (i've a artist & album folder / subfolder structure).

This does not seem to happen in v3.0.8

I can add my tunes folder as before but the contents of folders are not retrieved until the folder or subfolder is actually opened.

Is this expected behaviour, as this is different to my experiences in v2.2.8?

Is there a way to force the parsing / scanning?

Regards,

Gary

gazzawazza
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: auto scanning / parsing of newly added folder in media library doesn't happen anymore

Postby gazzawazza » 30 Aug 2019 00:15

bump

just need to know if described behaviour is as expected - seeming difference between v2.x and 3.x

Thanks,

Gary

gazzawazza
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: auto scanning / parsing of newly added folder in media library doesn't happen anymore

Postby gazzawazza » 02 Sep 2019 18:57

Alternatively, if there's a link to the answer to my question, happy to have that and pursue myself.

The wiki on adding content to the media library was written in 2009 and doesn't make any mention of parsing. Page was apparently modified Jan 2019.

gazzawazza
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby gazzawazza » 02 Sep 2019 21:26

Ok i think it's a bug.

Did yet another google on the topic (i did search before posting in the first place). Found this after trying a different search phrase:

VLC apparently hasn't parsed subfolder content when a folder is added to the media library, since v3.0.4

[url]https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?t=146498[/url]

Regards,

Gary

gazzawazza
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby gazzawazza » 05 Sep 2019 19:49

bit the bullet and did a full uninstall / reinstall of vlc (deleting cache, etc). Deleted any folders i found as well.

installed 64bit 3.0.8

problem still exists.

Also reminded me that the column movement in media library (artist, album, track, etc) is broken - the "track" column cannot be repositioned (other columns can but none seemingly can take position of 1st column on the left).

I would say back to 2.2.8 but there have been lots of security fixes in the 3.x releases.

I wish the devs would understand that simple UI stuff like structuring the visible information of your music library and being able to search the library for tracks does actually matter for usage.

One currently can't search one's media library until parsing of all folders occurs (and 'reveals' content/tracks) and this no longer happens, unless you physically browse the folders, in 3.0.8

Finally, not getting the UI working as intended means all the dedication and hard work to VLC 'under the hood' and with its functionality doesn't get recognised (because some people might feel the need to abandon a music player where you can't even find a track in your music library any more, despite there being a working search function).

gazzawazza
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby gazzawazza » 07 Sep 2019 20:24

fix or workround for the problem:

[url]https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=146498&p=495421#p495414[/url]

It's been reported that setting "subdirectory behaviour" to "expand" (tools/preferences/all settings/playlist) seems to provoke scanning.

I'd tried this previously and felt that although the folder tree is now exposed properly, i couldn't find tracks.

However, a full clean install of 3.0.8 (rather than upgrade) does indeed parse / scan whatever folder you add to the media library, provided you set "subdirectory behaviour" to "expand".

Thanks to weirddave for posting about this.

gazzawazza
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby gazzawazza » 07 Sep 2019 20:26

is it possible to mark posts / topics as solved? Couldn't find how to do it?

flingo
New Cone
New Cone

Postby flingo » 01 Jan 2020 20:26

is it possible to mark posts / topics as solved? Couldn't find how to do it?
How did you rate your experience in the forums today? :)

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”