How to get subtitles on the bottom black bar?

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
FID00437
New Cone
New Cone

How to get subtitles on the bottom black bar?

Postby FID00437 » 03 Jul 2014 19:25

Im using VLC 2.1.3 x64. I have a 1680*1050 resolution monitor and Windows 8.1 installed.
When i play widescreen videos, would it be possible to somehow place the subtitles under the picture? (the bottom black bar)

By default, subtitle text shows on the picture itself near the bottom black bar. I've already tried changing "subtitle position down" value
but the text wont go lower than the picture... Would that be possible somehow?

mederi
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 2.0.8
Operating System: Windows Vista/XP

Re: How to get subtitles on the bottom black bar?

Postby mederi » 04 Jul 2014 13:02

VLC does not directly support subtitles in black bars under/above the picture in fullscreen mode.

You could use croppadd video filter to add black pad to the picture in VLC preferences:
Tools > Preferences > Show settings = All > Video \ Filters \ Cropadd: Pixels to padd to bottom [100]
Tools > Preferences > Show settings = All > Video \ Filters: [v] Video scaling filter >> [croppadd] appears in input field
Save changes, restart VLC.

FID00437
New Cone
New Cone

Postby FID00437 » 06 Jul 2014 02:08

thanks, it works for me now
http://imgur.com/9qOw7tV

minor issue (doesn't matter really!)- i can see a thin green line near the bottom on some odd videos after adding the black pad, ty once more.
VLC is awesome :D

Pgr
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Pgr » 22 Dec 2014 14:05

Green line seems to be solved by using an even number in "force subtitle position" and "cropadd, add pixels to bottom."

Don't use odd numbers there.

See a full tutorial with screenshots here:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/284709/h ... deo-in-vlc

phgachoud
New Cone
New Cone

Postby phgachoud » 19 Jul 2015 14:28

VLC does not directly support subtitles in black bars under/above the picture in fullscreen mode.

You could use croppadd video filter to add black pad to the picture in VLC preferences:
Tools > Preferences > Show settings = All > Video \ Filters \ Cropadd: Pixels to padd to bottom [100]
Tools > Preferences > Show settings = All > Video \ Filters: [v] Video scaling filter >> [croppadd] appears in input field
Save changes, restart VLC.
That worked for me for a time, but does not anymore with VLC media player 2.2.0 Weatherwax (revision 2.2.0-0-g1349ef2) on Ubuntu, am so frustrated anybody has an idea??

marinewonder
New Cone
New Cone

Postby marinewonder » 01 Sep 2019 07:19

I realize this is an old thread - and the suggestions above work for most of my videos to position subtitles above the video in a black bar.

What controls the color of this bar specifically? Sometimes it's dark-gray, I'd like it a purer black of possible.

However in some videos I get a pink bar above the video.

I was able to change it to green by changing the Video Settings -> Output, from Automatic to Windows GDI video output (a few others also changed to green).

I haven't noted any pattern on the type of videos that do this, but it's rare for me - this particular video is a 10bit encoded x265 video if that matters.

Most of my videos are not 10bit, x265.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”