Any way to hybridize the GUI interface with the RC interface?

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
spection
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
Operating System: Windows

Any way to hybridize the GUI interface with the RC interface?

Postby spection » 21 Aug 2019 11:21

I must have better control of VLC from my own outside application (NOT a browser, and never a browser). RC definitely is far better than the clumsy techniques I'm using now (basically pulling down menus and selecting one item), but I've noticed that if you launch a vid with the RC interface, the GUI interface completely disappears, which is extremely unacceptable!

So, is there any way to combine the two to create a hybrid interface? In other words, have the normal GUI VLC showing to the user but also be able to control it via RC?

Thanks!

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Re: Any way to hybridize the GUI interface with the RC interface?

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 22 Aug 2019 16:58

Yes, you can start both interfaces in the same instance. Though RC is not robust enough for programmatic usage.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

spection
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby spection » 22 Aug 2019 21:11

Thank you most emphatically! I agree that RC might not be enough for what I need (though what I need is pretty simple), and I'm looking into libVLC, but I'm finding it intimidating. Fortunately, at least there's an Autoit UDF that implements the API to the library.

But for the mean time, would you be so kind as to inform me of the command line parameters to start VLC with both interfaces?

Thanks again!

unidan
Developer
Developer

Postby unidan » 22 Aug 2019 22:09

Hi, you can use --extraintf ;)

If you want to do something simple, you might as well write a lua interface module or a C interface plugin ! What is your use case ?

spection
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby spection » 23 Aug 2019 00:03

Hi, you can use --extraintf ;)
I'm extremely happy to hear from a developer! And impressed. Anyway, thanks for the tip; I found it in the documentation. Awesome!
If you want to do something simple, you might as well write a lua interface module or a C interface plugin ! What is your use case ?

Primarily, I simply need to be able to get the current state of a video I launched, such as Playing or Paused. I also want to be able to get the current time position.

But my biggest problem is dealing with certain unpredictable event popup windows, such as "VLC did not close properly last time it was run and will now clean up", and "Another instance of VLC Media Player is already running" (which is what I always do, usually without problem). I've tried launching it with the option to ignore errors, but that seems to have no effect.

I've looked into using Lua, but for me, the learning curve would be higher than using libVLC. I'm coding in AutoIt and have an API interface with the library. This means C isn't a good option either, since I'd much prefer doing everything in AutoIt, which I greatly love working in.

By the way, I see a lot of developer documentation links show lock icons, requiring a login to view. But I can't seem to find a way to sign up for that access (though it's probably right in front of my face). Would you please tell me how to do that?

Thanks again for your reply!

spection
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby spection » 23 Aug 2019 00:41

Well, I tried the following command line: "VLCPortable.exe --extraintf rc Video.mp4", but although the RC interface appeared to work, there was no video or GUI. I'm obviously doing something wrong; what is it?

Thanks!

unidan
Developer
Developer

Postby unidan » 23 Aug 2019 11:24

Hi,
By the way, I see a lot of developer documentation links show lock icons, requiring a login to view. But I can't seem to find a way to sign up for that access (though it's probably right in front of my face). Would you please tell me how to do that?
The wiki is obsolete and to be replaced, thus read-only. Most of the developer documentation is on git right now.
Well, I tried the following command line: "VLCPortable.exe --extraintf rc Video.mp4", but although the RC interface appeared to work, there was no video or GUI. I'm obviously doing something wrong; what is it?
can you try --intf qt --extraintf rc ? It should work without intf but would get you to an error if the main interface can't be loaded. If so, it would be a different issue.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”