Windows defender blocked vlc

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
rajchut558
New Cone
New Cone

Windows defender blocked vlc

Postby rajchut558 » 31 Jul 2019 15:54

Why vlc need to access network

BlockSolid
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 3.0.7.1
Operating System: Windows 10 v1809

Re: Windows defender blocked vlc

Postby BlockSolid » 31 Jul 2019 20:05

To check for updates and retrieve metadata.

Marc Kupper
New Cone
New Cone
VLC version: 3.0.7.1
Operating System: Windows

Re: Windows defender blocked vlc

Postby Marc Kupper » 01 Aug 2019 02:42

My VLC updated itself to 3.0.7.1 Vetinari and I also got a Windows Defender prompt when I started VLC.

I don't know if my issue is the same as @rajchut558 but for me, Windows Defender blocked an attempt to set up incoming network connections on the local network. This implies that VLC is setting itself up as a server of some sort. That's unrelated to checking for updates and retrieving metadata.

I'm not certain if I was running 3.0.7 or 3.0.6 prior to the 3.0.7.1 update. The uninstall.log file did not say. I decided to try 3.0.7.

Unfortunately, I can't reproduce the issue. When the block prompt came up I had clicked "continue blocking." I then uninstalled 3.0.7.1, installed 3.0.7, don't see the issue, uninstalled 3.0.7, installed 3.0.7.1 again and still don't see the issue. VLC was in the Windows Defender list of allowed apps but with the check box turned off. I tried deleting the unchecked allowed-program entry, started VLC, but still don't get prompted again. I don't know if VLC remembered that attempting to become a server failed and won't try it again or if Windows Defender still remembers it blocked vlc.exe and is still blocking it. I tried installing 3.0.7.1 to a different path but still was unable to reproduce what happened. I also tried installing 3.0.7 and then doing a "check for updates" to have it find and install 3.0.7.1.

VLC does not store very much in the registry. There's nothing in vlc-qt-interface.ini that looks like a flag to disable a media server.

I checked news.txt but don't see anything that looks like the addition of a media server for 3.0.7.1 nor 3.0.7 that could have triggered this prompt.

@rajchut558 - are you still getting prompted by Windows Defender?

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”