BD-J/Menu Not working with 3.0.7.1 on Win10

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
taylorwmj
New Cone
New Cone

BD-J/Menu Not working with 3.0.7.1 on Win10

Postby taylorwmj » 27 Jun 2019 17:35

Recently back to trying to make full fledged Blu-ray menus work on VLC after skipping it for 3 years. I saw that full BD-J was supported, which made me VERY happy--"just have java installed". Cool. No big deal...except Java.

I have 64 bit VLC (3.0.7.1) installed and the latest 64 bit JRE (not JDK) installed (1.8.0_211-b12). I also have JAVA_HOME and JAVA_JRE environment variables set. To open the discs, I am placing a copy of MakeMKV's libmmbd64.dll into the VLC directory and that's working fine.

However, whenever first opening a discs and ensuring "No disc menus" is unchecked, VLC will begin to read the disc, continue doing its thing, and then gives me a popup with:

Code: Select all

Java required: This Blu-ray disc requires Java for menus support.Java was not found on your system. The disc will be played without menus.

Looking at the debug log I get the following (pre/proceeding lines shown for context):

Code: Select all

libbluray info: First play: 1, Top menu: 1 HDMV Titles: 0, BD-J Titles: 2, Other: 2 libbluray debug: Disc is using AACS libbluray error: BD-J menus not supported. Playing without menus. BD-J support: 1, JVM found: 0, JVM usable: 0 libbluray debug: Selecting Title 6
How do I make VLC see my JVM?

As a side note, I tried this same method on a Linux x64 VM and received the same error, but at least had a "JVM found: 1" value, but still "JVM usable: 0". What else should I be doing to get VLC to, at least on Windows" recognize/use my installed Java?

taylorwmj
New Cone
New Cone

Re: BD-J/Menu Not working with 3.0.7.1 on Win10

Postby taylorwmj » 04 Jul 2019 03:56

Figured this out. Downloaded the most recent 64-bit JDK from Oracle and installed it. Also set the appropriate environment variables of JAVA_HOME, JRE_HOME (whatever this really is), and added Java to the PATH. Java Menus ended up working after this.

vlcjonny
New Cone
New Cone

Postby vlcjonny » 08 Feb 2020 15:03

I Also installed the very latest Java 8 241. and VLC 3.0.8 It still does not work.Could you please tell me how to set JAVA_HOME and JRE_HOME? Maybe that is the problem.

vlcjonny
New Cone
New Cone

Postby vlcjonny » 10 Feb 2020 17:25

One last try, before giving up. I try to play a BD create with Corel. I never use the main menu, I have only menus where I can select the chapters of the blu ray.
It works perfectly on a sony hardware player. All the recommendations were implemented keydb, libacc, jre very latest 64 bit version, setting system variables JAVA_HOME and JRE_HOME and even copying libmmbd64.dll and renaming it to libmmbd.dll.
Stil does not run, it just plays the background music of the bd menu.
I attach the vlc log file. May be some clever guy can tell me, what I did wrong or just plainly tell me, that vlc cannot play bdmenus produced with Corel Videostudio 10.
- logger module started --
main: VLC wird mit dem Standard-Interface ausgeführt. Benutzen Sie 'cvlc', um VLC ohne Interface zu verwenden.
main: playlist is empty
libbluray: First play: 1, Top menu: 1
HDMV Titles: 1, BD-J Titles: 0, Other: 0
libbluray warning: Failed to get meta info.
ts warning: discontinuity indicator (pid=4352)
ts warning: discontinuity indicator (pid=4113)
ts warning: discontinuity indicator (pid=5120)
libbluray: Adding ES 4113 select 1
libbluray: Adding ES 4352 select 1
main error: too low audio sample frequency (0)
main error: failed to create audio output
libbluray: Adding ES 5120 select 0
libbluray: Initializing overlay
ts warning: empty pes
main error: buffer deadlock prevented
main error: module not functional
main error: failed to create audio output
libbluray warning: event: 22 param: 0
libbluray: Stopping playlist playback
ts warning: discontinuity indicator (pid=4352)
ts warning: discontinuity indicator (pid=4113)
ts warning: discontinuity indicator (pid=5120)
libbluray: Reusing ES 4113
libbluray: Reusing ES 4352
libbluray: Reusing ES 5120
libbluray: Initializing overlay
ts warning: empty pes
main warning: playback way too early (-896282): playing silence
libbluray: Closing overlays.
-- logger module stopped --

rocksail
New Cone
New Cone

Postby rocksail » 15 Feb 2020 06:59

Problem solved !
My system is win10 64bit,updated to newest Version 。VLC 3.0.8
i also met the same problem you guys said. it's strange that the the BD-J/Menu are all right with vlc 3.0.8 in windows 7.but on the other pc i got,the system is win10, BD-J/Menu can't work ,so i looked up for the question here,and found this post
Unsolved!

after a long-time experiment(half a day :lol: ) ,i figured out the problem:The BD-J/Menu can't work in the new Java Platform!
1st ,i downloaded the new JRE,it won't work,the vlc also told me :no java found,then vlc plays the main movie stream only ,still no menu
2nd,i downloaded the new JDK ,for example jdk-13.0.2_windows-x64_bin.exe,installed,and followed the Installation Guide ,set the Environment Variable as the guide said.
i found that when i play a disc with java menu ,the VLC can't run ! Blanked when you insert a disc in VLC. BUT,when i checked the box "no menu support ", Vlc can play the main movie stream,just like b4.
so i thought ,at least ,the vlc is "fighting" with the JAVA when i installed the JDK program.

AT LAST , i thought maybe i should try the old JDK(I'v been told that the OLD JDK is FREE for use,but not the new JDK)
So i DELETED ALL THE JDK PROGRAM that installed,downloaded the old JDK 'jdk-8u241-windows-x64' , set the Environment Variable correctly (Very Important,and in my case ,i also set the user Environment Variable,not only the global Environment Variable)
and it's DONE! the menu is back !

vlcjonny
New Cone
New Cone

Postby vlcjonny » 15 Feb 2020 13:12

I believe I have exactly the same configuration, except the User Environment Variable. How should I set it?
The URL below shows my Environment Variables

https://photos.app.goo.gl/AwCpMP4kVHPzdWaR9

rocksail
New Cone
New Cone

Postby rocksail » 15 Feb 2020 15:03

i don't know how to upload pic here,so i can post my setting.
my system Environment Variable is only : Path C:/Program Files/Java/jdk 1.8.0_241\bin (guide win10 to where u installed the JDK,and exactly the the jdk folder ,till bin folder. not the jre folder)
my user Environment Variable is:
Path C:/Program Files/Java/jdk 1.8.0_241\bin
JAVA_HOME C:/Program Files/Java/jdk 1.8.0_241
CLASSPATH .;%JAVA_HOME%\lib\dt.jar;%JAVA_HOME%\lib\tools.jar; ( i feel odd about this line, so i tried to delete it ,the menu also works fine)

u can call the cmd screen to test the java, use 'java -version' to check if java runs fine. if it shows you the current version ,ur java is fine.

vlcjonny
New Cone
New Cone

Postby vlcjonny » 17 Feb 2020 15:57

Thanx for your advice. Except the classpath variable, I entered the variables above. I checked the java -version. It responds correctly. Unfortunately VLC still does not play. Status is: The disc plays fine on my sony bluray player. It does not Work with VLC and it does also not work with the LEAWO blu ray player either. I have only checked my self produced discs. Other commercially availbale bluray discs I have not checked.
I'll give up now.

rocksail
New Cone
New Cone

Postby rocksail » 18 Feb 2020 04:48

o,can your vlc play the main movie correctly ? before i fixed this problem, my vlc can play the "cracked"\downloaded commercial BD or 4K BD iso file or folder,but only without the menu.i didn't check any self made BD disc
maybe u can test a normal commercial BD disc.

vlcjonny
New Cone
New Cone

Postby vlcjonny » 18 Feb 2020 12:31

The main movie plays perfectly with out the menu from all media , mounted iso file, BD disc, and also if I go directly to the BDMV\Stream directory and play the main movie directly. In that directly are also 13 menu movies, I can play them all directly. There is also a directory called JAR, which might have to with Java, but it is empty. Obviously my my Sony BD player connected to my TV does not need it, as It plays the menus perfectly and it jumps correctly to the titles on the disc.
Bizarr, isn't it?

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”