Any way to prevent bad, freak-out looping?

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
spection
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
Operating System: Windows

Any way to prevent bad, freak-out looping?

Postby spection » 23 Jun 2019 00:41

Every so often (not rarely), after launching VLC on a video file (no format is more problematic than another it seems), it goes into a super-speed infinite loop in which the video title or filename flashes at breakneck speed alternating with a blank VLC title bar forever. It refuses to respond to anything I do, such as clicking the close box. The only thing I can do is manually enter the task manager (as soon as VLC lets me) and abort the task.

Also,if after aborting VLC I try the same video file again, approximately 75% of the time it plays fine. The other 25% are caused by bad video files.

I usually launch VLC from the Run or traditional CMD window, if that makes a difference, and I almost always use VLC Portable 64-bit v3.0.7 from PortableApps.com

Is this a known issue? Should I report it as a bug? Is there any way to prevent this from happening?

Thank you!

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”