VLC 3.0.6 will no longer work with Chromecast Device

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
ukbobboy
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 3.0.7 Vetinari
Operating System: Windows XP

VLC 3.0.6 will no longer work with Chromecast Device

Postby ukbobboy » 21 Mar 2019 12:51

Dear Forum Members

I have VLC 3.0.6 running on WinXP, which was working fine until I ran into an update problem on 19th March with AVG Internet Security.

As you can imagine, the diagnosis of my AVG problem required the uninstalling and reinstalling of AVG, during this messing about VLC lost it's ability to play my digital albums, stored on my NAS, via my chromecast device to my music system.

Please note, VLC can still play my music via my headphones and PC, as per usual, and I can still cast to my chromecast device via my tablet. What now seems to happen is that VLC will cast to my chromecast device, perform the handshake,which is acknowledged but VLC just cannot respond any more by playing my music.

And guess what, my AVG Internet Security is now fixed, AVG released the fix sometime last night and emailed me about the it this morning. But, unfortunately, I am stuck with my VLC which has lost some of it's facilities.

BTW, I tried reinstalling VLC, from a fresh download, to see if I could replace the part of it that is either corrupt or lost but that did not work.

Right now, I am open to any suggestions that may get me back to where I was, i.e. a fully functional VLC, before I ran into a dodgy AVG update.

Please note, I will also answer any questions or clarify any queries that my note has not covered.

UK Bob

unidan
Developer
Developer

Re: VLC 3.0.6 will no longer work with Chromecast Device

Postby unidan » 21 Mar 2019 18:06

Hi, try the 3.0.7 nightly build, it should be fixed. The issue comes from an update on the chromecast devices.

ukbobboy
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby ukbobboy » 22 Mar 2019 02:30

Hi Unidan

Thank you for your very quick reply but unfortunately the VLC 3.0.7 nightly update does not work.

I downloaded the 3.0.7 msi file, ran it, waited for it to settle and then tried it. The response I got was the same as 3.0.6. I then rebooted my PC, just in case some other part of the 3.0.7 update required a full reboot to work, but nothing changed VLC still cannot play music to my chromecast device.

I guess now this problem will persist until a full tried and tested official "update" is released.

Cheers for your help.

UK Bob

unidan
Developer
Developer

Postby unidan » 22 Mar 2019 09:58

Unfortunately if you have the issue and if we can't reproduce it can't be fixed.

Can you copy the log messages here? Enable it and try to play your file. It will give us useful information about why it fails.
To help you, we need messages, to completely understand what your problems is.
To fix this, please be sure before you start the playback to:
  1. Open: Tools -> Messages.
  2. Set Verbosity to 2
  3. Start playback to reproduce your issue
  4. Save text in a file or copy into clipboard
  5. Then paste the full resulting log here between [​code]and[​/code] (or use Pastebin.com if it's too long)
Also don't forget to name your Operating System and provide the VLC media player version.

ukbobboy
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby ukbobboy » 22 Mar 2019 23:11

Hi again Uidan

I have the VLC error message but it is too big for the forum's "Code" function to work and, for some reason, I cannot sign up with or use "Pastebin.com".

However, I have saved the error message as a text file, which is only 28KB is size, and I will be happy to send it to you as an attachment but, as you know, the forum will not accept attachments.

If you can PM me with an email address then I can send you my error message text file.

I await your reply.

UK Bob

PS: BTW, The version of VLC I am using is 3.0.7 Vetinari and my PC OS is WinXP SP3

ukbobboy
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby ukbobboy » 25 Mar 2019 09:59

Hi Unidan

It looks like there is no way to send you the text file of my VLC error message?

UK Bob

unidan
Developer
Developer

Postby unidan » 25 Mar 2019 14:22

Hi, I was AFK this week end :)

You shouldn't have to sign up for pastebin.com, but you can use any other web service like google drive or hastebin:
https://hastebin.com/

(it's better for the log to be public, so that other people can answer the post)

ukbobboy
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby ukbobboy » 27 Mar 2019 13:43

Hi Unidan

I have saved my VLC error text file into https://hastebin.com/fobolumeru.php as directed, I hope you will now be able to examine this file and, hopefully, see the solution needed to re-implement the extremely useful chromecasting capability.

UK Bob

unidan
Developer
Developer

Postby unidan » 27 Mar 2019 14:44

Hi, unfortunately, it seems that you didn't save your paste :/

ukbobboy
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby ukbobboy » 28 Mar 2019 09:07

Hi Unidan

I did save that "hastebin" file, but I found that it can only be saves and recalled when using Firefox. So if you use Firefox to click on the URL in my 27th March posting then you should be able to recall it, as I just did.

Here's the first few lines of my saved VLC error message:

main debug: removing module "microdns"
main debug: Creating an input for preparsing '01 - Lovely Day.mp3'
main debug: processing request item: 01 - Lovely Day.mp3, node: Playlist, skip: 0
main debug: rebuilding array of current - root Playlist
main debug: rebuild done - 1 items, index 0
main debug: starting playback of new item

As you can see, it is there. And again, just to be sure, here is the URL:

https://hastebin.com/fobolumeru.php

If you have any further difficulty then please PM me so that I can send to you the text file, of the error message, I have saved.

UK Bob

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”