Flac file playback - manually moving track slider disrupts audio

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
packzap
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Flac file playback - manually moving track slider disrupts audio

Postby packzap » 27 Jan 2019 04:05

I am experiencing a problem with VLC 3.0.6 in Windows 10 (version 1803) when playing flac files and manually advancing the track slider ahead a bit. VLC will balk (stop), the counter resets to a strange number, and other strange anomalies happen.

Play a .flac audio file in VLC and manually moving the track slider progress bar to the right to advance the audio a few seconds. The track will continue playing, but will stop before file end. The track counter will then show some random elapsed time, such as 9 seconds. Then, after a while VLC will mysteriously start playing the file again and the elapsed time will show what looks like the correct position.

The nearly one minute in length flac file attached, contains two excerpts of audio (about 20 seconds each).
[from the Temptations song "Masterpiece", comparing an older thin sounding mix to a newer re-mastered higher fidelity version.]

The audio is here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KNCqLq ... sp=sharing

This problem happens with longer flac files too. Thanks for any help.

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Re: Flac file playback - manually moving track slider disrupts audio

Postby Lotesdelere » 28 Jan 2019 11:59

I can't reproduce the issue with VLC 3.0.6 x64.
No problem so far with your file and with any other FLAC file I've tried.

packzap
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby packzap » 28 Jan 2019 14:52

Ok thanks. Then how do I do a complete reset of VLC? I already tried the reset settings under preferences. Is there a fuller way to do something like a factory reset, per se? Uninstall/reinstall? I want to start completely new with any traces of previous versions gone. Thank you!

packzap
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby packzap » 28 Jan 2019 20:28

In Windows 10, I unistalled VLC. Then, removed the Videolan folder from \program files and \program files (x86) of the "c" drive. Then rebooted, and reinstalled a fresh newly downloaded VLC 3.0.6 x64, selecting the box to delete any preferences and cache. Upon Playing the flac file the problem occurs again!

Steps to reproduce:

1. Play the flac file. (This 52 second file has two sections of audio with a 4 second dead no-audio space in the middle)
2. Manually advance the track slider ahead a few seconds while playing.
3. When VLC encounters the area of no audio in the middle of the file, the track slider stops and the time counter retracts in time.
4. Then VLC stops and after a random amount of time, begins to play again.

It seems that when VLC encounters the dead audio area in the middle of the file, it balks and doesn't know what to do. If the slider is moved manually anywhere along the no-audio portion in the middle of the file, VLC gets flummoxed. :shock:

Gruko
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Gruko » 30 Jan 2019 14:29

The same for me.
I think it's a bug of VLC, no problem with other players eg WMP, AIMP.

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 31 Jan 2019 09:54

Steps to reproduce:

1. Play the flac file. (This 52 second file has two sections of audio with a 4 second dead no-audio space in the middle)
3. When VLC encounters the area of no audio in the middle of the file, the track slider stops and the time counter retracts in time.

It seems that when VLC encounters the dead audio area in the middle of the file, it balks and doesn't know what to do. If the slider is moved manually anywhere along the no-audio portion in the middle of the file, VLC gets flummoxed. :shock:

Yes, confirmed, I can reproduce the issue.

You should create a new ticket on the VLC Trac with the link to your file and to this thread.

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 03 Dec 2021 11:35

Steps to reproduce:

Maybe more information about this issue here:
https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php?topic=121807.0

https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php?topic= ... msg1005347
Another sample file:
http://www.audiograaf.nl/misc_stuff/FLA ... lence.flac

« Only the first and last three seconds of the file contain audio.
When seeking to the middle of the file with VLC, Windows Media Player or Firefox, all kinds of weird things happen. foobar2000 and Chrome do fine though. »

Most players are playing it fine:
https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php?topic= ... msg1005350
« Most Windows software that I have, have no problem with this file, including Winamp native and old with the plugin, SMPlayer/MPV, Foobar old and new, XMPlay, AIMP, DirectShow/DC-Bass, iZotope RX5, OpenMPT, MPC-HC/old, MPC-HC/LAV, Reaper 6, SoX. »

InTheWings
Developer
Developer
VLC version: crashing
Operating System: Linux

Postby InTheWings » 04 Dec 2021 19:34

Well,if there's no external framing, that makes things really hard. Because of that feature makes flac non compatible with seek, you'll have to bisect just like ogg but worse, and that will bring new complains over network
:!: If you want your problem to be solved :
* First read troubleshooting guide VSG:Main
* Always provide verbose LOGS ! (command line or from gui)
* Always check your issue against a developer build from Nightly Build of VLC
* Tell us when your problem is solved !

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”