SOLVED ! VLC can't play alpha channel videos : VLC 3.0.5 SUCKS : go back to VLC 3.0.4

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Val06
New Cone
New Cone

SOLVED ! VLC can't play alpha channel videos : VLC 3.0.5 SUCKS : go back to VLC 3.0.4

Postby Val06 » 03 Jan 2019 18:14

Hi dudes and lot of thanks in advance for your help.

I used to work on AE and Premiere with ProRes 4444 or HAP codecs to render alpha channel videos with MOV container.
I've already rendered a lot of this videos and I never had troubles to play them on VLC.

But rencently I buyed some SSD to build a SSD raid, so I had to reinstall Win10 build 1809.
I'm pretty sure to have not forgot any applications from my previous install because I exported the all apps list with the win powershell option.

Anyway, since, I' can't anymore playing any alpha channel videos on VLC, other than those rendered in the old Quicktime animation codec !

This alpha channel videos was rendered on AE or Premiere with Aftercodecs
All the videos can be read fine on AE & Premiere : no issues, the alpha channel works, all fine.

But I can't read them with VLC !!
But I can play them with MPC-HC !

I tried with old alpha channel video from older projects that I'm totally sure I played with VLC : don't work either !

This is an short example of one alpha channel video :
https://we.tl/t-uhnMk1hSzP

I'm searching on forums and asking to my friend Google since this morning and this drive me crazy !
Any ideas, please ?

Best
Val
Last edited by Val06 on 03 Jan 2019 19:16, edited 1 time in total.

Val06
New Cone
New Cone

Re: SOLVED ! VLC can't play alpha channel videos : VLC 3.0.5 SUCKS : go back VLC 3.0.4

Postby Val06 » 03 Jan 2019 19:09

Solved ! VLC 3.0.5 sucks : go back to VLC 3.0.4

Hitchhiker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.17.4
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Re: SOLVED ! VLC can't play alpha channel videos : VLC 3.0.5 SUCKS : go back to VLC 3.0.4

Postby Hitchhiker » 04 Jan 2019 19:15

Please follow instructions in the orange box to create the log files we need to help you with your problem.

To help you, we need messages, to completely understand what your problems is.
To fix this, please be sure before you start the playback to:
  1. Open: Tools -> Messages.
  2. Set Verbosity to 2
  3. Start playback to reproduce your issue
  4. Save text in a file or copy into clipboard
  5. Then paste the full resulting log here between [​code]and[​/code] (or use Pastebin.com if it's too long)
Also don't forget to name your Operating System and provide the VLC media player version.

chewbacca
New Cone
New Cone

Re: SOLVED ! VLC can't play alpha channel videos : VLC 3.0.5 SUCKS : go back to VLC 3.0.4

Postby chewbacca » 05 Jan 2019 06:04

I'm having issues with the update 3.0.5
windows media player is doing a better job by now

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”