VLC running multiple instances though it is set not to

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
esumsea
New Cone
New Cone

VLC running multiple instances though it is set not to

Postby esumsea » 07 Nov 2018 18:23

Hello!
I have setup VLC player to run only on instance at a time by checking "Allow only one instance" and also "use only one instance when started from file manager" but it still opens up multiple instances. I click the options, close VLC and when I play files from the explorer it opens a new instance for each file. It will open up over 6 windows (as many as I have tried). I have tried just clicking "Allow only one instance" or "use only one instance when started from file manager" by themselves and I still get the same problem. This just started happening after the last update. Previously it would only open one instance at a time. This was the only way I had used it. Any help getting it back to just one instance at a time would be greatly appreciated! :D

esumsea
New Cone
New Cone

Re: VLC running multiple instances though it is set not to

Postby esumsea » 07 Nov 2018 18:24

Running Windows 10 pro 64 bit. VLC 3.0.4

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 08 Nov 2018 13:37

Works fine for me.

Reset the preferences then set it up and try again:
https://wiki.videolan.org/VSG:ResetPrefs

esumsea
New Cone
New Cone

Postby esumsea » 08 Nov 2018 15:35

I reset the preferences using the link in the program files but it still does the same thing. I guess uninstall and reinstall?

VLCwin7User
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby VLCwin7User » 08 Nov 2018 17:28

VLC 3.0.4 x64. Under preferences, selecting simple settings in the lower left, and then selecting the interface tab, I'm seeing two settings, Allow only one instance, and Use only one instance when started from file manager.

Both of those options are checked, and I only get one instance, no matter how it is started.

esumsea
New Cone
New Cone

Postby esumsea » 08 Nov 2018 19:50

I also see the same settings (see above on my original post). I tried with both checked or either one checked and still I have the same problem. I am about to uninstall and reinstall to see if that changes things. It would be nice if an official support entity would chime in. :-|

esumsea
New Cone
New Cone

Postby esumsea » 08 Nov 2018 23:38

OK, I uninstalled and reinstalled and the problem disappeared.

newboy1967
New Cone
New Cone

Postby newboy1967 » 30 Dec 2020 10:56

Hi, i have a similar issue. I downloaded VLC and created a playlist of 3 videos that ran perfectly in the single instance of VLC. When i then saved that playlist for later and reopened it the videos came up in other instances of VLC with the main instance still visable. I've tried all the check boxes discussed here and nothing worked. I then uninstalled VLC and reinstalled and went through the same process of creating the 3 video playlist and again it ran perfectly when i was creating but once aved and reopended the same issue happened? Any thoughts welcomed.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”