Won't Stop Crashing

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
CaseyJewels
New Cone
New Cone

Won't Stop Crashing

Postby CaseyJewels » 27 Sep 2018 05:53

This program is seriously unusable right now. It crashed over fifteen times while I was just trying to watch a twenty minute episode, and I finally gave up and had to watch the last minute online. I was slow to apply whatever updates have happened, but this has been an issue since I finally updated a few weeks ago.

I cleared my preferences and cache, and it still closed out within the first thirty seconds of the next episode I was trying to watch. I really don't think the problem is on my end, as I had no issues before the update. Please fix this problem. You should have plenty of error reports from me (over fifty, I think), as I send them in each time it happens.

InTheWings
Developer
Developer
VLC version: crashing
Operating System: Linux

Re: Won't Stop Crashing

Postby InTheWings » 27 Sep 2018 09:15

If you're using VLC 3.0.x and have video issues.
Try:

1. Preferences -> Input/Codecs -> Disable hw decoding
  2. If you are a Windows user, Preferences -> Video -> Change from direct3d11 to direct3d9
If any solution works, please tell us which one solved your case, Please also quote your video driver name and version.
:!: If you want your problem to be solved :
* First read troubleshooting guide VSG:Main
* Always provide verbose LOGS ! (command line or from gui)
* Always check your issue against a developer build from Nightly Build of VLC
* Tell us when your problem is solved !

garf
Developer
Developer

Postby garf » 27 Sep 2018 09:18

Hello,

Try to deactivate the hardware acceleration:

In Tools -> Preferences -> Input/Codecs -> Hardware-accelerated decoding -> set to Disable.

If the issue persists, please try to send us the logs:
To help you, we need messages, to completely understand what your problems is.
To fix this, please be sure before you start the playback to:
  1. Open: Tools -> Messages.
  2. Set Verbosity to 2
  3. Start playback to reproduce your issue
  4. Save text in a file or copy into clipboard
  5. Then paste the full resulting log here between [​code]and[​/code] (or use Pastebin.com if it's too long)
Also don't forget to name your Operating System and provide the VLC media player version.

kiwitroll
New Cone
New Cone

Postby kiwitroll » 27 Sep 2018 12:43

I did what you have mentioned here & in the forum before I registered as I thought i'd come to you before I contacted my laptop provider (long wait on telephone).

I downloaded this software for my windows 10 laptop & watched films fine. Then I couldn't watch a film. I did a quick lookup & uninstalled it to download again. Could watch a TV series DVD. Now it won't again - I don't know if it's VLC or my external DVD drive (I will check that also to be doubly sure & will let you know if fixed).

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”