Seriously VLC? You won't use my mouse forward/back buttons?

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
triptich
New Cone
New Cone

Seriously VLC? You won't use my mouse forward/back buttons?

Postby triptich » 05 May 2014 23:51

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me how can I get my mouse's "browser forward" and "browser back" buttons to work with VLC as hotkeys for medium jump forward/back? VLC does not seem to accept these buttons as hotkeys.... seriously?!?

Thanks

To the VLC developers: It is 2014 and mice that come with these two extra buttons are extremely common, all mice will have them in the future. Once you use one you'll never go back, and once you have your video player's forward/back keys mapped to it you will never go back. Are you guys living in 2006 or what? Wake up and upgrade your mouse ffs. It's unbelievable that VLC does not recognize these buttons (and have them mapped to jump forward/back) by default like KMPlayer does. This is a no-brainer.

oiweruser
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Seriously VLC? You won't use my mouse forward/back butto

Postby oiweruser » 07 Nov 2014 08:16

I know! We're not the only ones having this issue. Furthermore, the really strange thing is that I just replaced my very old no-name mouse with the popular Anker Vertical Mouse which doesn't map, but the old, Chinese unbranded crap one I just replaced worked straight out of the box with the back/forward since 2005!

triptich
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Seriously VLC? You won't use my mouse forward/back buttons?

Postby triptich » 19 Apr 2016 04:38

I'm back... It's 2016 now... and I'm still unable to use VLC because of the lack of this painfully obvious feature. KMplayer, GOM Player, MPC-HC.. all the major video players can map these buttons. WHY CAN'T VLC? It's 2016 and the fact that this is still missing just pisses me off, it's sooo obvious unless you have a 3button serial mouse circa 1995.. HEY VLC DEVELOPERS: IT'S 2016 - GET A REAL MOUSE....

....anyways I thought I'd check back.... Maybe someone knows of an addon for VLC that adds this feature which should have been included yeeears ago?

vocalhero
New Cone
New Cone

Postby vocalhero » 11 Jul 2018 20:32

Hey, it's 2018 and this is still a problem. I didn't even know it was a problem until I tried mapping my mouse buttons today. Seriously, what in the name of everything holy are you thinking VLC? HOW can you STILL NOT have these mappable? Absolutely astounding. It's like you have a grudge against people who use Mouse Button 4 and 5...

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 12 Jul 2018 18:17

Using this kind of tone is not the best way to get people to implement what you want.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

ale5000
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes
Operating System: Windows

Postby ale5000 » 13 Jul 2018 10:06

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me how can I get my mouse's "browser forward" and "browser back" buttons to work with VLC as hotkeys for medium jump forward/back? VLC does not seem to accept these buttons as hotkeys.... seriously?!?

Thanks

To the VLC developers: It is 2014 and mice that come with these two extra buttons are extremely common, all mice will have them in the future. Once you use one you'll never go back, and once you have your video player's forward/back keys mapped to it you will never go back. Are you guys living in 2006 or what? Wake up and upgrade your mouse ffs. It's unbelievable that VLC does not recognize these buttons (and have them mapped to jump forward/back) by default like KMPlayer does. This is a no-brainer.

Have you reported the problem there?

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”