File types now showing "VLC media file" instead of specific file extension in Clover.

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
naut
New Cone
New Cone

File types now showing "VLC media file" instead of specific file extension in Clover.

Postby naut » 28 May 2018 12:40

This is likely a pretty niche problem (or maybe not, idk).

Recently updated from an old as balls version to 3.0.2. Prior to the updated I did not have this issue.

Including a screenshot of how Clover displays video file information in the details pane since the update. Where it says "VLC media file" it used to tell me the specific file type (.avi, .wmv, .mkv, .whatever). This is pretty annoying as I cannot tell at a quick glance without turning on the option to not hide common file extensions in the actual file name itself which is, well, ugly.

If there's some quick option I'm missing that can fix this I'd be forever grateful if someone could point me in the direction of it. Either way, thanks for your time.

Edit: Should add that in my Googling I found a thread here which seems to specify the exact same problem I'm having and it's from 2007 with Jean-Baptiste Kempf himself responding and saying that they should probably change this behavior. Pretty weird since I didn't have this issue until upgrading to 3.0.2.

chubinou
Developer
Developer

Re: File types now showing "VLC media file" instead of specific file extension in Clover.

Postby chubinou » 28 May 2018 13:51

Hello,

At the moment VLC displays "VLC Media Files" for every media associated to it.

you can look at [1], for an external solution to change this behavior.

[1] https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.ph ... 71#p468697

naut
New Cone
New Cone

Re: File types now showing "VLC media file" instead of specific file extension in Clover.

Postby naut » 28 May 2018 13:57

Hello,

At the moment VLC displays "VLC Media Files" for every media associated to it.

you can look at [1], for an external solution to change this behavior.

[1] https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.ph ... 71#p468697
Are there plans to change this? This seems incredibly silly and makes my video editing hobby so much harder.

VLCwin7User
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby VLCwin7User » 28 May 2018 22:29

On Windows, Nirsoft free FileTypeMan will allow one to change the description showing in Windows Explorer.
https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/file_types_manager.html
For example, for .webm files, windows explorer shows "VLC media file (.webm). At least in my setup, I am seeing the extension as part of the description.

So, in FileTypeMan, I went to the .webm extension, right-clicked it, and opened the File Type in Regedit. It took me right to the extension VLC.webm in the registry, whereupon I entered a change in the description, which showed right after I opened a new instance of windows explorer.

naut
New Cone
New Cone

Postby naut » 29 May 2018 05:57

On Windows, Nirsoft free FileTypeMan will allow one to change the description showing in Windows Explorer.
https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/file_types_manager.html
For example, for .webm files, windows explorer shows "VLC media file (.webm). At least in my setup, I am seeing the extension as part of the description.

So, in FileTypeMan, I went to the .webm extension, right-clicked it, and opened the File Type in Regedit. It took me right to the extension VLC.webm in the registry, whereupon I entered a change in the description, which showed right after I opened a new instance of windows explorer.
Appreciate the response, definitely seems like something that will fix the problem.

Definitely stupid that I have to make registry edits to fix such a moronic change to the software though. No idea whose idea it was at VLC to not allow people to see file types at a quick glance in the details panes but I hope someone has a word with them.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”