Plays once, then crashes

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Scotti
New Cone
New Cone

Plays once, then crashes

Postby Scotti » 08 Dec 2005 21:57

I've got a strange problem with VLC, and I can't find the same problem here in the forums.

Every time I load a new DVD into VLC I get one playing without a problem. After exiting the program, either voluntarily or not (lid closing on laptop), that same DVD will never play again. I can put another one (that hasn't been played before) and watch it fine, but if it's played once, it will never play again.

This problem started months ago, with v0.8.2, and I had hoped that 0.8.4 would solve it... no such luck.

If I log in on another profile, I can play the DVD that won't play on another profile, but same problem. Only once.

zorglub
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby zorglub » 08 Dec 2005 22:02

Hello,

The problem probably comes from libdvdcss (the DVD decryption library) that caches key info for each DVD it plays.

I had never seen libdvdcss crash while using cached data, I guess we'll have to investigate.

As a workaround, you can remove the data in Documents and Settings\Your_Name\Application Data\dvdcss
Zorglub
Clément Stenac

Scotti
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Scotti » 08 Dec 2005 22:53

Hello,

The problem probably comes from libdvdcss (the DVD decryption library) that caches key info for each DVD it plays.

I had never seen libdvdcss crash while using cached data, I guess we'll have to investigate.

As a workaround, you can remove the data in Documents and Settings\Your_Name\Application Data\dvdcss
Thanks for the speedy response! I'll try that and let you know!

n0ia

Postby n0ia » 28 Dec 2005 20:01

is there a way to keep libdvdcss from writing cache to that directory at all? or do you just have to delete it every time you play a dvd?

Scotti
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Scotti » 29 Dec 2005 18:00

That worked; but I've played a few since I posted, and stopped a couple mid-way. They restarted without a problem. Today I had one that wouldn't start, so I deleted the folder (just the one that had the named DVD), and it worked fine.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”