VLC 3.x - Cannot use mouse to select menus, etc for DVD

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
spection
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
Operating System: Windows

VLC 3.x - Cannot use mouse to select menus, etc for DVD

Postby spection » 05 Apr 2018 04:53

For some time now, VLC later versions 2 and now with version 3 (or at least VLC Portable v3.x from PortableApps.com), when trying to play a DVD (ISO or Folder), the mouse cannot select DVD menu items and the like (such as audio settings and subtitles in the official DVD GUI). This is terrible!
:cry:

That's not surprising, given that the mouse totally disappears on the video segment of the UI, which is extremely annoying by itself.

This stuff worked back in the relatively late releases of v2. I've reset the settings and re-installed, but nothing fixes it.

Is this is known bug? If not, where can I find the solution? The only hit the search tool came up with was the following, which was never answered anyway: https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.ph ... elect+menu

Thanks.

garf
Developer
Developer

Re: VLC 3.x - Cannot use mouse to select menus, etc for DVD

Postby garf » 05 Apr 2018 10:17

Hello,

Note: VideoLAN provides "portable" versions of VLC (an archive that you are not obliged to install), for example: http://download.videolan.org/vlc/3.0.1/ ... -win64.zip

As for your issue:
- Which version of Windows do you use ?
- Can you make sure you are in "automatic" mode in video output settings (Tools -> Preferences -> Video -> Output: "Automatic"), or reset your preferences if you can ?

spection
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
Operating System: Windows

Re: VLC 3.x - Cannot use mouse to select menus, etc for DVD

Postby spection » 15 Apr 2018 00:07

Thank you enormously, garf! Once I had downloaded the link you provided and ran it, all the problems I was having vanished! :D And just for the record, here are the answers to your questions:

Which version of Windows? - 64-bit Windows 10 Pro and 64-bit Windows 7 Pro.

I did not need to reset my preferences, but I did ensure that "Automatic" video output was set. And since I had been using VLC Portable from PortableApps.com, wherein the executable must be named "VLCportable.exe", that's all I had to do for my needs -- rename VLC.exe as described.

I have one question remaining: Could you tell me how to download the portable editions of future releases? Is it really just as simple as downloading the zip version?

Once again, thank you very much for your link and assistance.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”