Bookmarks?

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
JustJinxed
New Cone
New Cone

Bookmarks?

Postby JustJinxed » 09 Mar 2018 10:18

So I'm having a heck of a time trying to figure out when and why VLC decides to actually save bookmarks. I've tried saving my playlist with a bookmark, and 90% of the time if I close and come back, the bookmark isn't there. I have a single bookmark I'm interested in, just to keep up on a series. My files are stored on an external drive, and while the playlist loads them just fine, the booksmarks won't consistently save.

I've been over the documentation a few times now, and even though I am following the steps verbatim, I'm having troubles. Is there some trick to the naming of the files or something? Can this be remedied? I'd even be happy if the bookmark was just saved locally and not per playlist, as I have a huge media library and making a playlist for every DVD I have seems redundant.

glibble
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Bookmarks?

Postby glibble » 28 Mar 2018 15:57

Ditto here. It's bad enough that the regular bookmark feature doesn't work beyond the current session, which means bookmarking is pretty much useless since the usual reason to bookmark your place is so you can start up at the same spot the next day. But it's much worse when the freaking workaround doesn't work either, as the steps in https://wiki.videolan.org/VLC_HowTo/Save_bookmarks/ don't do the job. (not to mention the fact that View | Playlist doesn't allow you to browse to playlists!)

The "Do You want to start over where you left off" option that appears right at the beginning when you first start up VLC with a given file is helpful but it vanishes so fast that often I can't click it in time to do any good. Is there a way to make it persist?

Little help here, or is it time to move on to a different media player?

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 31 Mar 2018 11:39

It is not clear what do you want help with, TBH.

Resuming playback from where you stopped is already supported automatically without the need for bookmarks.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

glibble
New Cone
New Cone

Postby glibble » 03 Apr 2018 22:14

Then what am I doing wrong? Because when I start up VLC by double-clicking on the file, it does not automatically begin where I left off; it starts at the beginning of the file.
It is not clear what do you want help with
Yes, it was clear. I noted explicitly that there is usually the "Continue" button available at the top of the window, but it only lasts for about five or ten seconds--very short--and often I don't have time to click it before it vanishes. That feature would do the trick if only it stuck around for long enough. Is there a way to make it last longer?

chubinou
Developer
Developer

Postby chubinou » 04 Apr 2018 10:05

Hello, the continue button is displayed for 6 seconds, There is no options to extend it.

glibble
New Cone
New Cone

Postby glibble » 10 Apr 2018 00:06

It is not clear what do you want help with
1. Make the "Continue" button last longer, 15 seconds at least.

2. Even better, fix the bookmark function! VLC is nearly perfect otherwise, but for me this is pretty much a deal-breaker. Dedicated MP3 players (devices, e.g. Sandisk Clip Sport Plus etc) have functional bookmarking; there is absolutely no excuse for sophisticated media-player software on a computer to fail in this crucial area.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”