VLC's Taskbar item flashing when video loops

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Floe
New Cone
New Cone

VLC's Taskbar item flashing when video loops

Postby Floe » 28 Feb 2018 23:45

The taskbar item for the VLC player 3.0.0 flashes with the cone's orange color whenever the playing video loops/restarts
—or so I thought. I see that in videos longer than a few minutes, looping rarely has that effect (though, some long videos too, flash after a loop)

I don't remember this behaviour in VLC 2.0. Is it a bug? Or a feature? If a feature, why does it happen in only some videos? And finally, is there a way to turn this off?

BajaPaul
New Cone
New Cone

Re: VLC's Taskbar item flashing when video loops

Postby BajaPaul » 01 Mar 2018 13:07

I have this same problem since/with the 3.0 version update! Never had this issue before. I am using Windows 10 fully updated. My default is video loops at end. My taskbar is generally hidden, but at end of video taskbar pops up and the VLC icon is flashing orange. If you have multiple videos that have ended/looped, you have to activate each window/video to get the taskbar VLC icon to stop flashing until another video ends.

VLC 3.0 is sending out some type notification at the end of the video. I have searched high and low and experimented with various VLC settings. I have not found any end-of-video notification to turn off. This problem is simple to duplicate. Just find a couple of short videos around 15-20 seconds each and run them in separate windows/instances. You will have that VLC taskbar icon flashing at you continuously!

Very annoying! I may have to go back to previous VLC version until this issue is resolved!

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 01 Mar 2018 18:15

Disable that in the preferences.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

BajaPaul
New Cone
New Cone

Postby BajaPaul » 01 Mar 2018 19:30

I would disable that setting in preferences if I knew which one to disable. Any suggestions?

scottyd
New Cone
New Cone

Postby scottyd » 06 Mar 2018 23:10

Same issue here. Can't find out how to disable the flashing. Where is this in the options?

BajaPaul
New Cone
New Cone

Postby BajaPaul » 20 Mar 2018 21:13

I ended up rolling back to a previous version, 2.2.6. I will stay with this version until this issue is resolved.

robUx4
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Windows

Postby robUx4 » 21 Mar 2018 15:49

I cannot reproduce this issue with 3.0.1 or 3.0.2.
Can you provide some logs ? Maybe your source files don't support hardware decoding ?

BajaPaul
New Cone
New Cone

Postby BajaPaul » 24 Mar 2018 19:58

I cannot reproduce this issue with 3.0.1 or 3.0.2.
Can you provide some logs ? Maybe your source files don't support hardware decoding ?
I installed VLC 3.0.1 for Windows 64 bit. Taskbar flashing doesn't seem to happen if only one video is playing. Start a second video in separate window and it will popup the task bar at end and flash. First video does doesn't cause this to happen.

I can provide log files but don't find anything in "C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\vlc" folder. Where would they be? Video files were *.mp4

PC has Nvidia GTX 970 with latest driver.

robUx4
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Windows

Postby robUx4 » 28 Mar 2018 16:18

You get logs from Tools > Messages and set verbosity to 2

jbmass08
New Cone
New Cone

Postby jbmass08 » 13 Apr 2018 17:05

For me, it seems to have nothing to do with video length, but I can see why somebody might inadvertently think that - the factor is whether or not VLC is focused when the video loops. If I put VLC on a secondary monitor, start up a vine, then click something (like my web browser) on my primary monitor, when VLC loops I get a flashing taskbar button and it pops up from hidden.

Here is a log from playing an old Vine (so a very short video - only a few seconds) where it flashed on loop: https://pastebin.com/tfd7AJTS

DirX
New Cone
New Cone

Postby DirX » 13 Jun 2018 09:39

Go to Tools > Settings
Bottom Left press "All"
Top Left search for "Raise"
Under Interface > Main Interfaces > Qt scroll all the way down to "when to raise the interface" and set it to "Never".

Yellington
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Yellington » 15 Jun 2018 11:36

DirX! You're a legend. I was looking for the solution to this and this is it. Thanks a bunch :)

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 17 Jun 2018 23:46

It's also in the simple preferences.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

agardoul
New Cone
New Cone

Postby agardoul » 25 Sep 2019 22:11

Damn I just created an account on that forum to thank you more than god DirX because starting from tonight, my VLC 64bits 3.0.8 suddunly turned into a weird behaviour and started to flash/blink orange at file end's loop, exactly as mentionned here, but not at end of video but end of audio loop !!

Knowing that I only listen to my music during hours in loop, you can imagine the main problem of that suddunly starting flashing behaviour !!!

Fresh formatted since 2 days, W7 64bits all updated, in 10 years of VLC i never had to look at the QT Interface to disable that, so I really think there is a bug somewhere randomly appearing in 3.0.8.
This is the very first time it appeared to me and I never got that problem before.
However I had to swap the raise setting as you said to fix it (it was set i guess by default on Audio/Video)
If in any manner it can help the dev to look if its normal or not.

Anyway, thanks really a lot DirX, in 5 sec google search, you made my day with the fix !

mbv1
New Cone
New Cone

Postby mbv1 » 11 Aug 2020 17:35

I had the same issue when using VLC to play music. I use to keep VLC on full screen on a second desktop with Windows 10 while I'm working on the first desktop. But every time a song ends and the next one starts, I had an orange flashing item on my taskbar in the first desktop.
It was really annoying, but DirX solution solved my problem! Thanks a lot!

itomic
New Cone
New Cone

Postby itomic » 17 Oct 2020 06:27

I have the same challenge, but it's for the official (Android) version of VLC Player that runs on an Amazon Firestick.

In the Settings, there is an Interface section, but no sign of anything resembling a "when to raise the interface" option.

fyi: I'm wanting to play special spooky halloween ghost and ghoul clips from AtmosFX. Excellent videos! So to have the VLC icon pop-up (only v briefly) each time a video loops semi spoils the effect.

Any ideas anyone?

Thx!

DirXisBASED
New Cone
New Cone

Postby DirXisBASED » 30 Aug 2021 21:39

Go to Tools > Settings
Bottom Left press "All"
Under Interface > Main Interfaces > Qt scroll all the way down to "when to raise the interface" and set it to "Never".
THANK YOU SO MUCH dude. YOu signed up to this forum just to post that solution, it's your only message LMao. BASED. I just signed up to thank you, too, even though you won't see this message.
CYA all

corkboardgreen
New Cone
New Cone

Postby corkboardgreen » 01 Aug 2022 22:32

Go to Tools > Settings
Bottom Left press "All"
This still works in 2022, 3.0.17.4 Vetinari.

Thanks DirX :D :D :D :D :D

fuckvlc88
New Cone
New Cone

Postby fuckvlc88 » 06 Dec 2022 12:08

Go to Tools > Settings
Bottom Left press "All"
This still works in 2022, 3.0.17.4 Vetinari.

Thanks DirX :D :D :D :D :D
It doesn't work for me, for the love of --please stay polite-- christ himself I cannot figure out how to disable it. It's so god damn annoying.

ff2400
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ff2400 » 16 Dec 2022 04:41

On current version of VLC this is how it works
Tools > Preference
click the radio button with the All label at the bottom left
search 'raise', click the Qt button and scroll to the bottom and set
When to raise the interface to Never

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”