Some bugs I found in VLC 3.0.0

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Mr Wolf
Cone that earned his stripes

Some bugs I found in VLC 3.0.0

Postby Mr Wolf » 05 Mar 2018 17:39

Hi! I've been using VLC 3.0.0 for some weeks and I found some bugs I want to share. hoping they will be solved. I just don't want to complain. :D
I've been using VLC 3.0.0 64 bit with Windows 7 and Windows 10 (different notebooks), but I also tried with the 32 bit version and tried to reset the preferences.

1) Artifacts playing DVDs

Here and there, there artifacts playing DVDs. They always appear in the same points. (Actually, the first time, I thought the DVD was defective :roll: )

2) Unwanted shortcuts playing DVDs and video files.
Up and down arrows set volume up and down, while left and right arrows make a medium jump, even if they only should work to navigate in DVD menus.

By the way, I have a USB remote controller, like this one:
which I use to play movies with VLC.
Some times ago, I discovered that pressing slow forward and fast forward buttons on this remote controller sends ctrl+left and ctrl+right as shorctuts; so, I had set this shortcuts to make a very short backwards jump and a very short forward jump respectively.
With VLC 3.0.0, pressing slow forward and fast forward buttons is as it's sending very short backwards jump and medium backwards jump at the same time and very short forward jump and medium forward jump at the same time respectively.
By the way, if I delete the shortcuts, pressing those buttons on the remote controller still works, while, when I deleted them in VLC previous versions, stopped working.
The only solution I found is to set medium jump to 0.

3) If I play a DVD, I pause it, make a backward or a forward jump, resume playing, the video is frozen, while audio still plays. Have to make another jump to make video play.

4) If I play a DVD or video file, and I play frame to frame (press repeatedly shortcut e), after a while the image freezes.

5) Step backward and step forward buttons don't work: nothing happens when pressed.

6) Playing DVDs at a speed higher than 2x freezes image, while audio still plays.

7) If I take a screenshot with subtitles on, subtitles are not included in the screenshot.

8) I have a TV tuner (Terratec Cinergy Hybrid T USB XS) with connectors to acquire analog video and audio from external sources.
If I try to acquire video and audio with VLC 3.0.0 (Media -> Open Capture Device; Capture Mode: DirectShow), I get this errors:

Your input can't be opened:
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'dshow://'. Check the log for details.

In the log, I find this:

dshow error: Failed to run graph. Capture device may be in use.

By the way, this error is present only in Windows 7, while the TV tuner works in Windows 10.

Thanks for your attention and for your help!

Dreen-hu
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Some bugs I found in VLC 3.0.0

Postby Dreen-hu » 10 Mar 2018 05:17

4) If I play a DVD or video file, and I play frame to frame (press repeatedly shortcut e), after a while the image freezes.
Same experience, but also at playing any kind of video files.

Quick solution is hitting Space twice (and fast, if we don't want to go far from that moment), then we can step frames forward with E key again for a while before the next image freezing. Maybe some memory management bug?

Version 2.2.8 Weatherwax (Intel 64bit)

Could you please resolve it? This is a useful function. :)

Best!

Mr Wolf

Postby Mr Wolf » 10 Mar 2018 17:24

Thank you. :)
I'd like to have confirmations for the other bugs, to be sure they're not only my problem.

By the way, bug 5) Step backward and step forward buttons don't work: nothing happens when pressed.
depends on the fact I set medium jump to zero.

Sorry, but I had to switch back to VLC 2.2.4, the last previous version which can play blu-rays, at least for me.

sebus
New Cone
New Cone

Postby sebus » 03 Jul 2018 19:20

Even in latest 3.0.3 this bug still exists:

VLC is unable to open the MRL 'dshow://'. Check the log for details.

Mr Wolf

Postby Mr Wolf » 04 Jul 2018 16:38

I've just checked and I don't have that issue anymore.

Bugs that still persists:
1) Unwanted shortcuts playing DVDs and video files. Up and down arrows set volume up and down, while left and right arrows make a medium jump, even if they only should work to navigate in DVD menus.
2) The issues with the remote controller (see above), like this one:

Vidhyut
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Some bugs I found in VLC 3.0.6

Postby Vidhyut » 11 Feb 2019 13:17

This version does not always override the windows power saving settings, the screen turns off even when media is playing on VLC

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”