Volume control not working.. couple other notable issues.

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Charvelx04
New Cone
New Cone
VLC version: 3
Operating System: Windows 10

Volume control not working.. couple other notable issues.

Postby Charvelx04 » 15 Feb 2018 05:35

Ok... I have installed v3 on three systems here:

All Windows 10 / 64bit, v16299.248
Comp 1 is an AMD FX8350, 16GB system running on an MSI Gaming 770.
Comp 2 is an AMD Phenom II 955 8GB system running on a Gigabyte GA-770-US3.
Comp 3 is a Dell Inspiron AMD M5040 laptop.

Computer 1: VLC seems to be working just fine, but with one noticeable issue. Every time a video ends and VLC goes back to the main screen, it takes up the entire monitor space. Not maximized, just takes up the entire screen. This happens on all the computers. I try to resize the program's main window back to a size approx 8" by 5" upon closing.. has no effect. The program also opens opens at this size as well.

Computer 2: VLC seems to be working just fine, but noticed that when installed, the Control bar is at the top of the screen, whereas on the other two, after installing, it's at the bottom.

Computer 3: Runs fine.. but the bug here is, the volume/ mute button doesn't work. I have uninstalled, removing all cache/preferences.. rebooted, reinstalled, but the same thing. I noticed this at first, because I use VLC Helper, in combination with VLC Remote (from Hobbyist Software) on my phone(s) to control VLC.

None of these issues keep me from using VLC.. they are just on the "annoying" list as it were.. and thought I'd give a heads up.

Other than that... I really enjoy this release. Certain subtitles in movies that were small and hard to read, are now clearly visible. And.. there's no more "default" sound device, as I despised having to select my sound device(s) each time we opened VLC v2+ or below! I appreciate those fixes/changes!

Cheers.

Edit: off topic, but the link on your Read First: Forum rules and info page.. to the "advisory to reporting issues" page, comes up as a 404 error.

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Re: Volume control not working.. couple other notable issues.

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 16 Feb 2018 21:31

Disable audio pass-through.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

Charvelx04
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Charvelx04 » 16 Feb 2018 22:26

I will give that a shot... thank you for the reply!

Charvelx04
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Charvelx04 » 18 Feb 2018 17:41

Worked like a charm... and again, thanks for your time in replying and helping me out. :)

Freonpsandoz
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Freonpsandoz » 08 Feb 2019 23:32

Disable audio pass-through.
Then I don't get any HDMI audio at all to the AVR. I can control the volume of HDMI audio from every other application with the Windows Volume Mixer and with the volume control in the application. HDMI audio used to work in VLC. Something is broken. UPDATE: I was able to get it working by enabling "Normalize volume to:" in Settings. The volume control now works after disabling that setting as well.

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 09 Feb 2019 07:23

You can't have the cake and eat it. If you enable pass-through, VLC cannot filter the audio, and Windows cannot adjust the volume, since the audio is not decoded on computer side.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”