VLC will only play one file and won't play or open again after closed.

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
brianmnemonic
New Cone
New Cone

VLC will only play one file and won't play or open again after closed.

Postby brianmnemonic » 15 Feb 2018 10:34

I have Windows 10, a fresh install of VLC, all settings reset / deleted. I have the latest update installed on my AMD video card. Here's the issue I am having:

When the computer boots up for the first time, either from a restart or from being powered on I can open VLC once. I can play any single audio or video file and that file will work perfectly okay. After that I can not open another file, I can not drag a media file into VLC either, I get the black no symbol (prohibition sign). If I have that instance of VLC still open, if I double a click a video or audio file it will try to open a new instance of VLC rather than playing it in the already open application. The new instance will appear in task manager but will not be seen anywhere on screen.

If I close VLC I can't open it again unless I restart my computer. If I try to run it again after closing the program it shows up in the task manager but nothing pops up. I can open the task manager and if I double click VLC five times to open it, five instances will be running but I can't see anything.

So basically, after reboot of PC I can only open VLC once, and it will only play one file. While it is still open I can not play other media in that instance. If I close it, it will not open again.

I have no other issues with any other media programs. I use foobar2000 for audio and have no problems opening and closing it and playing audio at any time. I can open Windows Media Player as well as the Windows 10 Movie & TV app and play any of the videos I try to play in VLC with no issue at all...I have no problems with Kodi, and no problems with Plex. Most of the time I prefer the simplicity of VLC and I would rather use that. I had the same issues with Ace Stream as well, which uses VLC as it's backbone, but I'm not going to get into that, I've just outright uninstalled it. I don't want to do the same with VLC.

Thanks!

robUx4
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Windows

Re: VLC will only play one file and won't play or open again after closed.

Postby robUx4 » 15 Feb 2018 10:53

Can you try one of the 3.0.1 nightlies available here to see if the problem persists ?
https://nightlies.videolan.org/

brianmnemonic
New Cone
New Cone

Re: VLC will only play one file and won't play or open again after closed.

Postby brianmnemonic » 16 Feb 2018 01:33

Can you try one of the 3.0.1 nightlies available here to see if the problem persists ?
https://nightlies.videolan.org/
Uninstalled current version of VLC and deleted preferences during the new installation of the nightly build. Opened it right away after installing, didn't have to restart, can close it and open it as many times I want and it still works. Plays all files with no issues at all. The latest nightly build (64 bit) works perfectly, thanks!

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”