VLC 3 nightly on QHD screen?

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
clemenzina
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 3.0.4
Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit

VLC 3 nightly on QHD screen?

Postby clemenzina » 16 Dec 2017 08:14

Windows10Home, VLC 2.2.6 Umbrella 32-bit

(Cannot use the 64-bit version due to snapshot-naming bug.)

I now have a Dell XPS 15 9560 with a 3840x2160 screen, with size of text, apps, etc, set at 250% (by Dell). VLC's interface icons are so tiny I can hardly see them. Increasing the text etc size to the next level doesn't work.

Has anyone tried VLC 3 on a similar screen? I only use it for downloading network streams and playing all video files, and have few icons on the interface.

It takes me ages to set up VLC, so I'd be very grateful if anyone with experience of it could advise me if they think that v3 is not going to fix my problem or if there is "unfinished business" that might scupper my "work".

clemenzina
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: VLC 3 nightly on QHD screen?

Postby clemenzina » 04 Jan 2018 18:26

In view of the lack of response :( I have been forced to take the plunge (encouraged by a lull in live action here and by the ability to undo any damage) and install VLC 3.00-rc5 Vetinari from http://nightlies.videolan.org/build/win ... 0104-0504/:

So far, so very good! Thank you, Jean-Baptiste and Team :-*

(I've only tested it with unfinished interface and a short network stream recording. NB !!! The snapshot naming bug has been fixed.)

clemenzina
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: VLC 3 nightly on QHD screen?

Postby clemenzina » 11 Jan 2018 05:20

It has become unreliable, playing mp4 videos (for example) sound only with black screen. While I wonder what to do about it I'm using Microsoft's own new offering, which is very nice but no replacement for VLC !!!

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”