Blu-Ray Support

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Packy
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Blu-Ray Support

Postby Packy » 16 Jan 2017 17:57

Hello!

wtf
I followed directions in first post and I still receive error message and blu-ray does not play:
Blu-ray error:
No valid processing key found in AACS config file.
Your input can't be opened:
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'bluray:///D:/'. Check the log for details.

Windows 10 Education 64-bit
VLC Media Player
Version 2.2.4 Weatherwax

Keys database
get the file UPDATED 21-02-2016!
Windows: put it in C:\ProgramData\aacs\
(there was no file 'aacs' at this location so I made one and put in the keys database)

AACS dynamic library
UPDATED 22-02-2016!
VLC 64 bit on Windows: put that file in your VLC directory
(put the libaacs.dll in 'Local Disk (C:) > Program Files > VideoLAN > VLC')

Could their be something up with particular Blu-rays or blu-ray publishers? Some blu-rays work and many of my blu-rays do not work (see error message above).

Thanks in advance!

candela
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby candela » 17 Jan 2017 15:55

Could their be something up with particular Blu-rays or blu-ray publishers? Some blu-rays work and many of my blu-rays do not work (see error message above).
VLC can only play your Blurays when it finds a suitable key in KEYDB.cfg. The processing key in KEYDB.cfg only works up to MKBv31 and is not valid for discs released in the last 3 years or so (newest discs have MKBv64 I think). Recent discs that do play have a VUK key in KEYDB.cfg retrieved by other people.

Your KEYDB.cfg is extremely old. Install the program AACSUpdater to get the latest version and contribute any cached VLC keys you might have on your system to KEYDB.cfg

Furthermore, do yourself and others a favour and research FindVUK. Then you can help adding keys to KEYDB.cfg so everyone can play these discs using VLC, now and in the future

kequ
New Cone
New Cone

Postby kequ » 25 Jan 2017 13:50

Lag video when loading on youtube.

I record video in vlc, then upload to YouTube and video lag. In VLC video no lag. Before such was not.

Help me please!

Luger89
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Luger89 » 26 Mar 2017 15:00

I've tried everything several times, tried 32 bit also tried 64 bit. Tried each file and each method and it still does not work. It still says missing library. I'm done trying. There is something preventing me from this working. I have no idea what it could be. I've tried nightly builds and everything. There is literally nothing that I haven't already tried. This method does not work at this time. Period.

blu ray work fine.. blu ray menus only work with the 3.0 builds and it´s far from perfect.
on some discs i have menus on others not.

Flameancer
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Flameancer » 20 May 2017 22:26

This method does not work at all currently. Currently running Windows 10 Pro and VLC 2.2.5 x64. I went I downloaded the most recent libaccs.dll and KEYDB.cfg as of 5/20/17 and vlc still cannot play a Blu-Ray disc. Still get the error, "This Blu-ray Disc needs a library for AACS decoding, and your system does not have it."

libaccss.dll was placed in "C:/Program Files/VideoLAN/VLC" and KEYDB.cfg was placed in "C:/ProgramData/aacs/"(the hidden folder) and for measure made another folder called "Program Data" and it still doesn't read. I've also gone ahead and turned of disk menus. I will try with VLC 3.0 later but I doubt it will still work.

candela
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby candela » 26 May 2017 13:36

This method does not work at all currently. Currently running Windows 10 Pro and VLC 2.2.5 x64. I went I downloaded the most recent libaccs.dll and KEYDB.cfg as of 5/20/17 and vlc still cannot play a Blu-Ray disc. Still get the error, "This Blu-ray Disc needs a library for AACS decoding, and your system does not have it."

libaccss.dll was placed in "C:/Program Files/VideoLAN/VLC" and KEYDB.cfg was placed in "C:/ProgramData/aacs/"(the hidden folder) and for measure made another folder called "Program Data" and it still doesn't read. I've also gone ahead and turned of disk menus. I will try with VLC 3.0 later but I doubt it will still work.
VLC 2.2.4 is unfortunately the last version that works with the compiled DLLs that are floating around

newone88
New Cone
New Cone

Postby newone88 » 29 May 2017 19:30

Hi,
I finally able to play ripped BD to my HD using VLC. The only issue is that the menu itself is not showing. The BD plays fine and I see the splash screen just as I see it on a regular Blue Ray player. I wonder if there is a step or a setting that I missed. Again, everything works fine except the menu text is not displayed.
I'm using windows 8.1 and VLC 32 bit player.
Any hints or advice is much appreciated.
Cheers

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 30 May 2017 10:49

Did you activate the menu options?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

newone88
New Cone
New Cone

Postby newone88 » 30 May 2017 18:46

I'm not in front of my computer now but I recall making some changes in the preferences section
something like input / codecs --> bluray --> checked a box for bluray menus

Anything else I should do to enable the menus?

Thanks

klr1811
New Cone
New Cone

Postby klr1811 » 05 Jun 2017 22:33

I tried following the instructions at http://vlc-bluray.whoknowsmy.name/ using vlc 2.2.5 and 2.2.6 using both 32bit and 64 bit versions unsuccessfully and couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong so firstly I'd like to say thank you to candela for putting me out of my misery and letting me know that 2.2.4 is the latest supported version.

Installed 32bit version of vlc 2.2.4 on windows 10 pro 64 bit and after following the instructions got the first blu ray (**SPAM ALERT** Royal) to work without any problems. However next disc I tried (Quantum of Solace) is giving me a new error message:

Blu-ray error:
This Blu-ray Disc needs a library for BD+ decoding, and your system does not have it.
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'bluray:///I:/'. Check the log for details.

Tried another disc (Australia) and received the same error. All the discs I've tried are a few years old so I assumed they'd play, but I don't have many dics handy to try out. Are there any other files I need to download and add to get the discs to play?
Also is there a list somewhere of all the blu rays which are able to be played?

Any help is much appreciated

Kris

candela
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby candela » 06 Jun 2017 22:38

I tried following the instructions at http://vlc-bluray.whoknowsmy.name/ using vlc 2.2.5 and 2.2.6 using both 32bit and 64 bit versions unsuccessfully and couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong so firstly I'd like to say thank you to candela for putting me out of my misery and letting me know that 2.2.4 is the latest supported version.

Installed 32bit version of vlc 2.2.4 on windows 10 pro 64 bit and after following the instructions got the first blu ray (**SPAM ALERT** Royal) to work without any problems. However next disc I tried (Quantum of Solace) is giving me a new error message:

Blu-ray error:
This Blu-ray Disc needs a library for BD+ decoding, and your system does not have it.
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'bluray:///I:/'. Check the log for details.

Tried another disc (Australia) and received the same error. All the discs I've tried are a few years old so I assumed they'd play, but I don't have many dics handy to try out. Are there any other files I need to download and add to get the discs to play?
Also is there a list somewhere of all the blu rays which are able to be played?

Any help is much appreciated

Kris
BD+ is another protection on Bluray used mainly by 20th Century Fox. Both Quantom Of Solace and Australia use this protection. You get that error because you don't have libbdplus installed (you need another DLL and a bunch of other files). However, since libbdplus only supports the first 2 or 3 generations of BD+ protection (some very old titles) it's not even worth trying

In my opinion, the only hope to ever get playback of BD+ titles in VLC directly from disc is if someone implements support to load cached BD+ patches in libbdplus. These patches can be ripped from a few other players (so it's possible to create a database of them, like the keydb.cfg for AACS keys). Generating these patches on the other hand (like libdplus currently tries to do) is very complicated and would require a team effort of some very skilled hackers/programmers. On Doom9 forum you can read how the original libbdplus library for VLC was created. Implementing support for cached BD+ tables is fairly simple. I already requested this in the past https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=137025 but there has been no response so far.

In the meantime you can use BlurayTestAndDecrypt to rip BD+ titles to your harddisk and then play it with VLC

rousu
New Cone
New Cone

Postby rousu » 03 Jul 2017 02:08

Windows 7: Two 64 bit computers, different results on the two.

Toshiba older laptop that had Corel blu-ray on it plays fine with the latest VLC

Newer desktop with latest VLC plays the blu-ray rotated clockwise 90 degrees, with the intended width displayed full screen vertical, and the intended height about a quarter of the screen width. If I go to the advanced VLC controls, I can rotate the video 270 degrees, and it is right side up; however the image is shrunken now in both directions so both height and width are shrunken to a square about the size of the before-rotation shrunken height.

I have no clue if this is a VLC problem, or a software problem, or a hardware-software "feature" with the monitor.

Thought I would report it anyway in case it is VLC.

neetyVG
New Cone
New Cone

Postby neetyVG » 19 Aug 2017 12:33

Has anyone gotten Windows 10 Pro and VLC 2.2.6 to successfully play Blu-ray discs? I have followed the instructions at http://vlc-bluray.whoknowsmy.name/ using vlc 2.2.6 using both 32bit and 64 bit versions. Not sure if there is a way to check I have the latest versions of the key database and AACS dynamic library.
libaccss.dll was placed in "C:/Program Files (86)/VideoLAN/VLC" and KEYDB.cfg was placed in "C:/ProgramData/aacs

Still get following Blu-ray error:
This Blu-ray Disc needs a library for AACS decoding, and your system does not have it.
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'bluray:///D:/'. Check the log for details.

Just wondering if anyone has got VLC to work with the dll files on 2.2.6?

If it helps, not that I can make sense of it, this the log file;
qt4 debug: Saving the simple preferences
core debug: adding item `(null)' ( bluray:///D:/ )
core debug: processing request item: (null), node: Playlist, skip: 0
core debug: rebuilding array of current - root Playlist
core debug: rebuild done - 3 items, index 2
core debug: starting playback of the new playlist item
core debug: resyncing on (null)
core debug: (null) is at 2
core debug: creating new input thread
core debug: Creating an input for '(null)'
core debug: meta ok for (null), need to fetch art
core debug: requesting art for (null)
core debug: looking for meta fetcher module matching "any": 1 candidates
core debug: using timeshift granularity of 50 MiB, in path 'C:\Users\admin\AppData\Local\Temp'
core debug: `bluray:///D:/' gives access `bluray' demux `' path `/D:/'
core debug: specified demux `any'
core debug: creating demux: access='bluray' demux='any' location='/D:/' file='D:\'
core debug: looking for access_demux module matching "bluray": 12 candidates
lua debug: Trying Lua scripts in C:\Users\admin\AppData\Roaming\vlc\lua\meta\fetcher
lua debug: Trying Lua scripts in C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\meta\fetcher
lua debug: Trying Lua scripts in C:\Users\admin\AppData\Roaming\vlc\lua\meta\fetcher
lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\meta\fetcher\tvrage.luac
lua debug: Trying Lua scripts in C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\meta\fetcher
lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\meta\fetcher\tvrage.luac
lua debug: skipping script (unmatched scope) C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\meta\fetcher\tvrage.luac
core debug: no meta fetcher modules matched
lua debug: skipping script (unmatched scope) C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\meta\fetcher\tvrage.luac
libbluray info: First play: 0, Top menu: 0 HDMV Titles: 0, BD-J Titles: 3, Other: 3
libbluray debug: Disc is using AACS
core debug: no access_demux modules matched
core debug: creating access 'bluray' location='/D:/', path='D:\'
core debug: looking for access module matching "bluray": 21 candidates
core debug: no access modules matched
core error: open of `bluray:///D:/' failed
core debug: finished input
core debug: dead input
core debug: changing item without a request (current 2/3)
core debug: nothing to play
core debug: using meta fetcher module "lua"
core debug: removing module "lua"
core debug: art not found for (null)
core debug: processing request item: (null), node: Playlist, skip: 0
core debug: starting playback of the new playlist item
core debug: creating new input thread
core debug: requesting art for (null)
core debug: using timeshift granularity of 50 MiB, in path 'C:\Users\admin\AppData\Local\Temp'
core debug: `bluray:///D:/' gives access `bluray' demux `' path `/D:/'
core debug: specified demux `any'
core debug: creating demux: access='bluray' demux='any' location='/D:/' file='D:\'
core debug: looking for access_demux module matching "bluray": 12 candidates
libbluray info: First play: 0, Top menu: 0 HDMV Titles: 0, BD-J Titles: 3, Other: 3
libbluray debug: Disc is using AACS
core debug: no access_demux modules matched
core debug: creating access 'bluray' location='/D:/', path='D:\'
core debug: looking for access module matching "bluray": 21 candidates
core debug: no access modules matched
core error: open of `bluray:///D:/' failed
core debug: finished input
core debug: dead input
core debug: changing item without a request (current 2/3)
core debug: nothing to play
directsound debug: found 2 devices

DJX
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: Git
Operating System: Windows

Postby DJX » 19 Aug 2017 16:13

Changes to the way VLC loads DLLs have rendered this impossible. These changes were in response to the CIA vault leaks.

MelCooley
New Cone
New Cone

Postby MelCooley » 24 Aug 2017 16:41

SOLVED (for me, anyway). Reporting my experience with this problem: I did all the steps, added the KEYDB.cfg and libaacs.dll files, uninstalled VLC, re-installed VLC...everything. Nothing solved the problem until I installed AnyDVD and made sure it was running when accessing Blu-Ray discs with VLC. As Borat would say, "Great success!" I had to pay for AnyDVD, but it was worth it. All good!

alatari
New Cone
New Cone

Postby alatari » 12 Sep 2017 02:55

VLC 2.2.4 is unfortunately the last version that works with the compiled DLLs that are floating around

I actually had x86 2.2.6 VLC playing Bluray The Lorax on my ex's Windows 7 laptop.
She wanted to watch her new unrated Fifty Shades of Gray Bluray and it was getting the no key error instead of the no aacs error, which I didn't understand att to mean that the key was just not submitted yet (it'll be my first Passkey/FindVUK attempt), SOoooo, I watched the video on YouTube linked above and he was all about making sure we use x64 code and I removed the working x86 2.2.6 VLC with Revo Uninstaller and went to x64 2.2.6 and never again did it work on her laptop even after going back to x86 and carefully following all the steps.

The first attempt that worked was using my old instincts of making sure the libaacs.dll was dropped into the \windows\system32 folder.
I think the trick was allowing it to rely on the system32 version and leaving the vlc folder version out. If that works for someone else, let me know. I'm done trying to figure 2.2.6 out since I wasted 12 hours on it.
Should have left the install alone since it was working and went on to research how to get the key.

At home, on my Win 8.1 laptop, I was unable to recreate the steps that I used to get 2.2.6 working (Yes, I am positive that x86 2.2.6 was working on her machine. There were no old versions in her download folder and I checked the ABOUT link and saw Umbrella). Even checking the properties of the dll and unblocking it in security wasn't enough.
After hours of troubleshooting I finally came to the conclusion that there was a change in version 2.2.6 that prevented http://vlc-bluray.whoknowsmy.name/ from working and I'm very sorry to have missed your post candel since it would have saved a lot of grief.
The properly built 2.2.4 version on Starbuck's page (labdv.com/aacs) works and my copy is dragged into the PortableApps vlc folder.
(Which won't update anymore since PortableApps is still on x86 versioning).

As a test, I d/led the nightly x64 3.0 version zipped package from today and dropped it on the Starbuck's 2.2.4 vlc configuration, allowing it to overwrite older files only, and it works up to the point of needing the Fifty Shades VUK. Never bought a Bluray, (watch everything online) and forgot to bring The Lorax with me from her house, so can't test further.

tl;dr
Simplest steps to getting this to work and in default folder locations (as of September 2017):
- d/l the x64 installer from VideoLAN (be sure to choose the down arrow on the link and select the x64 installer or you end up with the x86 version)
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html and install it (to make sure the default file structure is created and menu startup links)
- d/l Starbuck's 2.2.4 x64 zip version with all needed libraries from here: http://www.labdv.com/aacs/
-- also d/l the aacs updater while there.
- use 7zip (or other product) and extract the files into a temp folder then copy all those file into the C:\windows\program files\Videolan\vlc folder and choose to overwrite the file conflicts. (I like TeraCopy for this better than Windows default copy).
- install aacs updater and wait the 5+ minutes it takes to install and update the VUK's in the KEYDB.cfg database file.
- profit!

- if you get the dreaded :cry: "No valid processing key found in AACS config file", even after aacs updater did it's job, then you have the opportunity to support this project by finding the VUK yourself and updating it to the community through aacs Updater
The steps for finding a Bluray disc's VUK are found in this forum post covering FindVUK http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=172472
- since you are entering the realm of custom coding remember to check all downloads with https://www.virustotal.com/ for malware. A single hit with +30 community upvotes is probably a false positive and safe.

Alternate solutions are:
-use a Bluray burner software to convert your Bluray to a file format playable by whatever media player you love.
-use the streaming options that the industry want us to move to :roll:

packzap
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby packzap » 17 Sep 2017 21:43

Yes! Had to revert back from VLC version 2.2.6 to 2.2.4 to get BluRay's to play.

And to get rid of stuttering, on my implementation, go to Tools, Preferences, Input/Codecs, and be sure "hardware-accelerated decoding" is set to "automatic".

Thanks for heads up!

Lady Fitzgerald
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Lady Fitzgerald » 25 Sep 2017 07:48

I've been going insane trying to figure out how to download the stupid KEYDB.cfg key file. Every time I click on it to download it, all I get is an insane amount of text on the screen and no downloaded file. How the big, fat, hairy, heck do I get this file?

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 25 Sep 2017 10:51

Looks like http://www.labdv.com/aacs/ is down, but you can grab a copy of the file from there:
https://web.archive.org/web/20170902140 ... /KEYDB.cfg

Mr Wolf
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby Mr Wolf » 04 Oct 2017 16:13

I've been going insane trying to figure out how to download the stupid KEYDB.cfg key file. Every time I click on it to download it, all I get is an insane amount of text on the screen and no downloaded file. How the big, fat, hairy, heck do I get this file?
Right click, download. :D

p4nts
New Cone
New Cone

Postby p4nts » 25 Oct 2017 22:00

Running Win10 x64 + VLC 2.2.6 x64 I followed these instructions [url]http://vlc-bluray.whoknowsmy.name%20[/url] but as above libaccs wasn't loaded.

Looking with Process Monitor https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysint ... -utilities you can see that VLC is searching for libaacs.dll in C:\Windows\System32. I copied the DLL into C:\Windows\System32 (admin prompt) and Blu-Ray playback now works.

Mr Wolf

Postby Mr Wolf » 26 Oct 2017 12:08

Unfortunately, your trick doesn't work with me. :cry:
I'm using VLC 2.2.6 32 bit on Windows 7 64 bit.

By the way, using Process Monitor, it says it doesn't find libmmbd.dll, too, which is not included with AACS Updater.

Is AACS Updater project dead?

Ron.Eyer
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Ron.Eyer » 26 Oct 2017 21:00

I finally got it to work.

I am using windows 10 home 64 bit system
downloaded and installed VLC 2.2.6 64 bit software

placed the 64 bit libaacs.dll in C:\windows\system32 (left it also in
C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC which was the first place I put it)

placed the KEYDB.cfg in C:\ProgramData\aacs (had to create aacs directory)
I commented out all other locations I had put this file, so I know it is using this location.
see if this works for others

uncreativeusername
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby uncreativeusername » 05 Nov 2017 21:56

I know that I'm late to the party, but I've been working on this for about 5 days or so, and I can't get the aacs decoding to work at all.

I've been to http://vlc-bluray.whoknowsmy.name/ and gotten the keys, dlls, and whatnot. I have 32-bit Windows 7 Professional, and no matter what I try, I keep getting the same error message.

"Blu-ray error:
This Blu-ray Disc needs a library for AACS decoding, and your system does not have it.
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'bluray:///E:/'. Check the log for details."

I have libaacs.dll and libbdplus.dll in C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\, and however I try it, I get the same error. I have KEYDB.cfg in %appdata%/aacs, and I've tried putting it other places. No matter where I put the files or I modify, I can never get it to work. I've even gotten the keys updated. That doesn't change anything, but then again, it probably shouldn't change anything, as it's the keys database and not the library. My drive is an Asus BW-16D1X-U, and I can't get VLC to play any blurays at all, no matter how early the AACS is, whether it be v4 or v57, and I can never get VLC to recognize the plugins.

Mr Wolf

Postby Mr Wolf » 05 Nov 2017 22:04

If you read a little higher up, it seems the last VLC version which can play blu-ray is 2.2.4.
Personally, I still have to try.

The AACS updater project seems to be dead.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”